Favorite Horror Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Horror Movies

I'll leave the newer movies for others. 1990 works as a cutoff for my list. I'm steering clear of non- Dracula sequels, for the most part, but I can't leave out Bride of Frankenstien or The Omen sequels, for example. As for the original Dracula, I've never cared for it. I enjoy Lugosi's performance, but it was based on the play, not the book, and the other actors in the movie did nothing for me. I prefer Nosferatu and Dracula's Daughter.

1. Horror of Dracula (1958 Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing)

2. The Omen (1976)

3. Salem's Lot (1979 -- Made for TV)

4. The Thing (1982) -- the original is also cool

5. Rosemary's Baby (1968)

6. Dracula Has Risen From the Grave (1968 Christopher Lee)

7. Dracula, Prince of Darkness (1966 Christopher Lee)

8. The Wolf Man (1941)

9. The Mummy (1932)

10. Frankenstein (1931)

11. Psycho (1960)

12. Trilogy of Terror (1975 --TV) --scared the hell out of me when I was 6

13. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

14. The Mummy (1959 Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing)

15. The Curse of Frankenstein (1959 Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing)

16. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986)

Others:

Hound of the Baskervilles (1959 Christopher Lee/Peter Cushing)
    Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
    Dracula's Daughter (1936)
    Cat People (1942)
    Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970 Christopher Lee)
    Halloween (1978)
    Scars of Dracula (1970 Christopher Lee)
    Brides of Dracula (1960 Peter Cushing)
    The Last Man on Earth (1964 Vincent Price)
    Nosferatu the Vampire (1922)
    Nosferatu The Vampyre (1979)
    Night of the Living Dead (1968)
    Dawn of the Dead (1985)
    The Exorcist (1973)
    The Hitcher (1986)
    Dracula (1973)
    Dracula (1979)
    The Night Stalker (1972 -- TV)
    Time After Time (1979)
    The Shining (1980)
    Alien (1979)
    Aliens (1986)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
    Jaws (1975)
    The Wicker Man (1973 Christopher Lee)
    Carrie (1976)
    The Innocents (1961)
    Near Dark (1987)
    The Legend of Hell House (1973)
    The Serpent and the Rainbow (1988)
    The Evil Dead (1981)
    Evil Dead 2 (1987)
    Count Dracula (1977 Louis Jourdan -- BBC TV)
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
    Damien: Omen 2 (1978)
    The Final Conflict (1981)

LEAST favorite:
    A Return to Salem's Lot (1987) -- as bad as it gets.
    Last edited by keithbishop; 01-16-2009, 04:45 PM.
    My blog : "A new machine" http://dgalemore.blogspot.com

R.I.P. Darrent Williams 1982-2007

I love Horror films. None of my friends really like them though so I never see them too much anymore...my brother is my scary movie watching companion so since I'm in college we don't get to watch them too much anymore.

But these are my three favorites:

-Psycho

-The Shining

-The Others...yeah I know its pretty new and most people think its lame. But I honestly think it is one of the better modern horror films. It scares me and I guess that's what matters right?

I also love, Hide and Seek, Saw(only 1), Silence of the Lambs,The Birds, The Blair Witch Project....I can't think of more right now. lol.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post

-The Others...yeah I know its pretty new and most people think its lame. But I honestly think it is one of the better modern horror films. It scares me and I guess that's what matters right?
      Definitely! Very cool, Snap.

My son watches some of the older ones with me (nothing with nudity or foul language.... nothing too horrifying, either). He said the Dracula movies scare him. I told him I miss the days when movies could scare me. "Why don't they scare you anymore, Dad?" "Well, son, once you've been married, very little scares you in comparison."

When I was his age, my dad didn't care for me watching horror movies, but he worked long hours, so I watched them constantly. I loved being terrified... hiding underneath the covers so the monsters couldn't get me.
      Those were the days.

I'm still like a kid at Christmas when it comes to watching movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

Comment

Originally posted by keithbishop View Post
        Definitely! Very cool, Snap.

My son watches some of the older ones with me (nothing with nudity or foul language.... nothing too horrifying, either). He said the Dracula movies scare him. I told him I miss the days when movies could scare me. "Why don't they scare you anymore, Dad?" "Well, son, once you've been married, very little scares you in comparison."

When I was his age, my dad didn't care for me watching horror movies, but he worked long hours, so I watched them constantly. I loved being terrified... hiding underneath the covers so the monsters couldn't get me.
        Those were the days.

I'm still like a kid at Christmas when it comes to watching movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.
        I think I need to watch some of the movies you listed earlier! I love to be scared too, and luckily I don't tend to have nightmares after watching scary movies. I really love scary movies that are more mentally scary than "jump out" scary...but I will try anything.
        ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

The Exorcist

Halloween (The original, and the remake. they're equal IMO)

friday the 13th

nightmare on elm street

Salem's lot (made for tv)

The Omen

Psycho

American Psycho

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original, the remake was f'n garbage)

The Shining, Carrie, It

House of a 1000 corpses, The Devils Rejects

Dawn of the dead (original and remake)

Any George A. Romero movie.

Saw 1 and 2.

The Strangers.
          the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
            I think I need to watch some of the movies you listed earlier! I love to be scared too, and luckily I don't tend to have nightmares after watching scary movies. I really love scary movies that are more mentally scary than "jump out" scary...but I will try anything.
            Thinking about it, most of my preference for the older movies is due to the fact that I grew up watching Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price and the like on The Creature Feature or Friday Nightmares, regional shows that would play horror movies every weekend. Some of it has to due with the fact that vampire movies are my favorite sub-genre of the horror set.... Dracula will always be my favorite book and, therefore, character.... and Lee was the best Dracula. Period.

....but.... there is a lot to be said for letting your imagination do the work instead of simply watching gore. Rosemary's Baby, for example, is, in my opinion, one of the scariest movies ever made. Flashy? No. Gory? No. Make you jump? No. Terrifying? Yes. For me, it's because the movie allows you to get into the head of the protagonist, Mia Farrow. I feel for her... I want to jump through the screen to help her..... I fear for her life. A very moving experience.

Then again, I'm no critic, simply a fan of movies... you may not like it. I highly suspect, however, that you would.

Christopher Lee is my favorite actor... always will be. His first movie was in 1948. You've seen him as Saruman in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and as Count Dooku in the recent Star Wars movies. He's the undisputed heavyweight champion of bad guys and has appeared in more the 2nd highest total of movies in film history, with a shot at reaching the #1 spot (Mickey Rooney, who started as a child actor, is #1, FWIW). At the age of 86, he's been in 3 movies that were released this year, 3 movies that are post-production, and 1 movie that is in production. The man knows his craft. He has said on many occasions that what can be imagined is infinitely more terrifying than what can be seen. You are correct, Mentally scary easily trumps "jump out" scary. By the way, Lee picks Rosemary's Baby for the scariest movie.

Personally, I'd have to pick Trilogy of Terror, but that's just because I was 6 when I saw it. Most people would laugh at its "scary" parts, but, watching it now, I get chills because it triggers memories of the months of nightmares I had after seeing it the first time. In its final act, "He Who Kills" made me appreciate the phrase "scared to death". God, how I love those chills.

Stick to your guns on The Others. I liked it. Beats the hell out of the vast majority of horror movies being released these days.
            Last edited by keithbishop; 10-25-2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Misery is my favorite for sure.

Comment

1. Dead Alive
                2. Dead Alive
                3. Dead Alive

This Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) is a tongue in cheek gore-fest comedy. A favorite party movie among my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93 View Post
                  American Psycho
                  American Psycho is a comedy.

well... in my book it is anyway... and damn the Acadamy for not giving Bale the Best Actor award for this.

I love this movie.

i'm not a big fan of the scary movies. i like vampire movies and sci-fi-type "scary" movies.

i'd say Alien and Aliens are high on the list for creepy.

but i'm not much for the gore-fest films. i dunno. like jason and friday the 13th don't really do much for me.

i remember the first time i saw Tremors though. i wouldn't sleep for like a week. every little thing freaked me out and since my room was in the basement i was always afraid if i moved one of those worms would come and eat me through the wall.
                  sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

KeithBishop.....you listed alot of great ones.....too many to list but my favorites in no particular order:

1.The Exorcist
                    2.The Amityville Horror
                    3.The Devil's Rejects
                    4.Saw
                    5.The Omen
                    6.Buried Alive (made for tv on the USA network)
                    7.The Stepfather
                    8.Carrie
                    9.The Shining
                    10.Nightmare on Elm Street
                    11. Salem's Lot
                    12.Halloween
                    My 3 favorite teams:
                    1.The Denver Broncos
                    2.The Ohio State Buckeyes
                    3.Any team who plays Michigan

Comment

1. The Day After- Nuclear war is horrifying.
                      2. Session 9- It's scary for more reasons than David Carruso's acting
                      3. The Shining- Redrum redrum friggin awesome
                      4. Nightmare on Elm St.- Maybe it was just because of how old I was when I watched it, but damn that movie scared me
                      5. Last House On the Left- One scene in-particular was terrifying for any man
                      6. Faces of Death- Wish I'd never seen it
                      7. Night of the Living Dead- George Romero rocks
                      8. Evil Dead- This is my boom stick
                      9. Friday the 13 part 3- I always thought part 3 was the best one
                      10. CNN- Nothing is as scary as real life bruthas especially if you have children

Comment

I'm not a big horror movie watcher, but I like zombie flicks the most (like 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead).

Alien and Aliens scared me plenty.

I made the mistake of watching Psycho when I was a kid. :shake:

The Exorcist was probably the scariest movie that I've seen.
                        sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Broncos View Post
                          I'm not a big horror movie watcher, but I like zombie flicks the most (like 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead).

Alien and Aliens scared me plenty.

I made the mistake of watching Psycho when I was a kid. :shake:

The Exorcist was probably the scariest movie that I've seen.
                          We need more Zombie flicks . Hopefully Diary of the Dead is good. It sounds promising and it's hard to go wrong with Romero.

I need to watch The Exorcist again in the near future.

Psycho still packs a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanahanigans View Post
                            1. Dead Alive
                            2. Dead Alive
                            3. Dead Alive

This Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings) is a tongue in cheek gore-fest comedy. A favorite party movie among my friends.
                            The pudding scene gives me the heeby-geebys. It would be fun to plow through zombie hordes with a lawnmower though.

Comment

the shining !
                              the other.....not the others
                              4 flies on grey velvet
                              asylum
                              tales from the crypt....1972
                              i'm a BRONCO'S fan !:go:

Comment

Working...
                              X