Graphic Novel fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Novel fans?

I was never a huge comic book fan when I was a kid. For about one year I was into Mad Magazine(who me?), but I was never into the traditional comic book scene. However, I was working with a guy right as 30 Days of Night was coming out in the theater, and he told me to read the GN before seeing the movie. Well, I did read it and I was really impressed. The art work was awesome and the story was excellent.

I have always been a reader. My favorites were always Dean Koontz and Stephen King(I know it's not Hemingway or Steinbeck) horror novels, so I discovered that a lot of GNs were right up my alley.

I have since read the "I am Legend" GN, the one taken from Matheson’s original novella not one having anything to do with the movie. I read the novella before the GN, and I must say the GN does great by the book.

Today I bought The Watchmen, and so far it is not disappointing. It seems I pick which ones to read based on which movie is coming out, though it is unintentional.

Well, I was just wondering if anyone else out there was into these things. I am new to them, I have only read 2 and working on my third but I do enjoy them. I was also wondering if any of you might have some suggestions for which one I should read next.
    :go::cutler:

Fables. Read Fables by Bill Willingham. Whodey got me hooked a while back and I love them.

It is less of a novel and more of a comic than Watchmen, but the story rocks.

You have Fables like Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, Prince Charming, Pinnochio, etc. living in secret in modern New York and cool stuff happens (I wont go into it, I don't want to give anything away).

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
      Fables. Read Fables by Bill Willingham. Whodey got me hooked a while back and I love them.

It is less of a novel and more of a comic than Watchmen, but the story rocks.

You have Fables like Snow White, the Big Bad Wolf, Prince Charming, Pinnochio, etc. living in secret in modern New York and cool stuff happens (I wont go into it, I don't want to give anything away).
      Thanks for the suggestion. Do I need to read them sequentially?

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion. Do I need to read them sequentially?
        Yes, definitely. They come out in normal comic form, but I would suggest getting the trade paperbacks. You can get them cheap and you usually get bonus stuff like sketches, script, or bonus side stories.

The story doesn't start off that fantastic (still good, but not that special until later in the 1st paperback), but it gets amazing.

Comment

comic books are not my cuppa...

unless there are some kinds of nakedness involved of the female variety...

sigpic

Comment

Im gonna hafta check these GNs out. I saw 30 Days of Night and thought it was decent. Im excited about the Watchmen movie... hmmmm..... book store trip! I LOVE bookstores!
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
              Im gonna hafta check these GNs out. I saw 30 Days of Night and thought it was decent. Im excited about the Watchmen movie... hmmmm..... book store trip! I LOVE bookstores!
              You should definitely check out the GNs. I never would have imagined I would like them, but I really do. Sometimes I want to read something but a novel just looks blah, GNs are perfect for those times.

As far as bookstores go, I love them also. I am such a geek

Comment

If love of bookstores = geek, than I be one.

I'll have to check out Fables. Thanks, Cinny.
                Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Two or three books a week. All kinds .
                  Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

only have read watchmen but it was awesome
                    sigpic
                    -------

Comment

Just remember that Fables is more comic that novel.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                        Just remember that Fables is more comic that novel.
                        That's fine. While I was at the bookstore I noticed that they made a comic series out of The Stand by Stephen King. I almost bought it, but I had to curb my spending. Someday though I will read those. The Stand is one of my all time favorite books.

Comment

Originally posted by chazoe60 View Post
                          That's fine. While I was at the bookstore I noticed that they made a comic series out of The Stand by Stephen King. I almost bought it, but I had to curb my spending. Someday though I will read those. The Stand is one of my all time favorite books.
                          Then you need to pick up Swan Swong by Robert R. McGammon(I think that's the spelling). I've read it three times and each time I lose myself in it and am just amazed by it.
                          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

check out The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween, the two books that inspired The Dark Knight.

Comment

Hai guise!

Okay, I have a couple new favorites that I think should be required reading for anyone that digs graphic novels or comic books. But before I start, let's just get this out of the way: I only read trades, because comic books are not worth the money, they're filled with ads, and they're only like 24 pages long. Wait for the trades to come out, and you get an entire story arc or two.

DMZIn an alternate future, the second civil war begins in the United States. Manhattan is ground zero for the war, and trapped in the middle of the demilitarized zone is a young journalism intern for a television network who sees his colleagues killed in an attack moments after they arrive on the scene. He embeds himself into the DMZ society, following leads and selling his stories to rival networks. It's pretty damn cool.

Y: The Last ManOkay, this one's a little weird, but try to picture it. A virus is unleashed on the world, killing the males of every species on Earth, save for a guy named Yorick and his pet monkey. He instantly finds himself becoming dangerously popular, because, well, the human race can't go on without him. He ends up hooking up with a secret-agent type girl who keeps him safe, and they travel the world and all of its ills as he searches for his girlfriend, who was in Australia when all the men died. Weird? Sure. But it's also pretty cool.

Birds of PreyThis is where all of the good writers from Batman went, and coincidentally, why Batman now sucks. Barbara Gordon (Oracle) teams up with other female superheroines to fight crime and stuff. Yeah, there's lots of big illustrated boobs. It's also really well-written.

I also dig Nightwing and pretty much anything from the Marvel Ultimate series.
                              HEAR ME ROAR!
                              sigpic
                              Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Working...
                              X