Graphic Novel fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
    check out The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween, the two books that inspired The Dark Knight.
    Those are both pretty good. I also recommend Hush and the entire Bruce Wayne: Murderer? and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive arcs.
    HEAR ME ROAR!
    sigpic
    Thanks to Freyaka for the great sig!

Comment

Originally posted by The Caped Crusader View Post
      check out The Killing Joke and The Long Halloween, the two books that inspired The Dark Knight.
      The Long Halloween is one of my favorites. The Killing Joke also rules... see below for more.

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
      Hai guise!

Okay, I have a couple new favorites that I think should be required reading for anyone that digs graphic novels or comic books. But before I start, let's just get this out of the way: I only read trades, because comic books are not worth the money, they're filled with ads, and they're only like 24 pages long. Wait for the trades to come out, and you get an entire story arc or two.

DMZIn an alternate future, the second civil war begins in the United States. Manhattan is ground zero for the war, and trapped in the middle of the demilitarized zone is a young journalism intern for a television network who sees his colleagues killed in an attack moments after they arrive on the scene. He embeds himself into the DMZ society, following leads and selling his stories to rival networks. It's pretty damn cool.

Y: The Last ManOkay, this one's a little weird, but try to picture it. A virus is unleashed on the world, killing the males of every species on Earth, save for a guy named Yorick and his pet monkey. He instantly finds himself becoming dangerously popular, because, well, the human race can't go on without him. He ends up hooking up with a secret-agent type girl who keeps him safe, and they travel the world and all of its ills as he searches for his girlfriend, who was in Australia when all the men died. Weird? Sure. But it's also pretty cool.

Birds of PreyThis is where all of the good writers from Batman went, and coincidentally, why Batman now sucks. Barbara Gordon (Oracle) teams up with other female superheroines to fight crime and stuff. Yeah, there's lots of big illustrated boobs. It's also really well-written.

I also dig Nightwing and pretty much anything from the Marvel Ultimate series.
      Y: The Last Man was awesome. Strange, but awesome. Yorick was an awesome character. He was so naive and funny. Not to mention the unending girl on girl action and well........*ahem*.

Originally posted by WhoDeyBengals View Post
      Those are both pretty good. I also recommend Hush and the entire Bruce Wayne: Murderer? and Bruce Wayne: Fugitive arcs.
      Yeah those two series rock. Of course you can't not read The Dark Knight Returns from Miller.

Year One was great too by Miller, which helped inspire Batman Begins. I've read pretty much everything involving Batman.

More by Miller: of course the Sin City series and 300. People who don't like 300 obviously didn't read the GN because it's almost literally panel for panel, save for they added more of the queen in the movie.

I read this other one... man... I wish I could remember the name of it. It was awesome, and kind of had this Se7en/noirish feel to it. ugh... i'll have to look it up.

Also some I haven't read that have been made into film: A History of Violence, V for Vendetta (that movie sucked), Road to Perdition.... etc.
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway (please be nice).

What's the difference between Graphic Novels and manga?
        Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Well Cinny, I went to the book store and looked for Fables, I found quite a few different ones, they were collections I believe and they were fairly expensive and I didn't know which to get first. So, I need to research that. Then I will definitely give them a read.

In the meantime I went to the local Library(because it is free, GNs are really pricey)the selection was not huge, but I found a collection called Absolute Sandman volume 1. I am about 80 pages in out of 600 and it is really cool. It is strange and quirky, but I definitely like it so far.

Comment

So, I was looking on Amazon for some of the suggested reading, and I was wondering if this would be something what Im looking for (the Trades WhoDey was talking about)

http://www.amazon.com/DMZ-Vol-Ground...6474220&sr=8-1
            sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
            SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Working...
            X