Slumdog Millionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slumdog Millionaire

This film just won the Academy Awards Best Picture of 2008 award.

Who saw it, and what did you think of it? Did it deserve the nod?

I certainly disagree with it as the best picture. I thought while the first half was great, and especially compelling, it fell flat at the end. I just couldnt stand the fact that you knew exactly what would happen, nor could I enjoy the adult actors lack of chemistry.
    sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
    SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

I very much enjoyed this movie, and can almost predict the ending to ALL movies... so that certainly doesn't bother me. Who didn't know the ending to Ben Buttons? Nixon?? Titanic?

I mean, thats just part of it.

But I thought it was a great movie, and was rooting for this picture to win... I was happy with the winner.

Comment

I am tired of movie like this getting the all of the Oscars. I have not seen it, and will not see it. Why is it that "The Acadmay" feels like they have to always do "artsy" films.

I would love to see someone start up an award show where "Real" movies win. When just because "The Dark Knight" was based on a comic book, and is action movie, should NOT mean that was not one of the ALL TIME great movies.
      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
        I am tired of movie like this getting the all of the Oscars. I have not seen it, and will not see it. Why is it that "The Acadmay" feels like they have to always do "artsy" films.

I would love to see someone start up an award show where "Real" movies win. When just because "The Dark Knight" was based on a comic book, and is action movie, should NOT mean that was not one of the ALL TIME great movies.
        i kinda agree i cant watch these types of movies . . . like seabuscuit or crap like that
        sigpic
        -------

Comment

I really would like to know what they base "Best Picture" on.

Because it always seems like social commentarys like Milk are nominated. And then they have Slumdog Millionaire which I hadnt even heard of until like 2 weeks ago.

A friend of mine saw Benjamin Button, and while he said it was good he was surprised to hear me say it was up for best picture. He said it was good but not "best picture" good.

Never seen or heard much about the Reader or Frost/Nixon.

But last year Juno was nominated and I still cant believe it was. WHAT IS SO GOOD ABOUT THAT MOVIE?!

Im sorry. I may still be a little annoyed. 2 years ago I thought Letters From Iwo Jima shouldve won best picture over The Departed and ive been kind cynical of the "best picture" award since. Letters is a phenomenal movie and while ive heard The Departed is good, ive also heard its your basic Scorsese in which is pretty violent up until the end where pretty much everyone dies.

But youd think theyd make the nominees for best picture the movies that actually sell the most and are extremely popular. Like TDK.
          LET 'ER BUCK!!!
          Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

I had never heard of this movie until about 2 weeks ago either. All the hubbub about it has being going on ever since.

Apparently it was a very low budget film filmed in Bombay India that had just increased it's revenue by 54 million in the past several weeks. So it's obvious not alot of people knew about it in the first place and just now went and saw it.

I hadn't seen any of the movies nominated in any category except for Wall-E which I enjoyed. I thought that was a great animated film.
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I saw it before all the big media love came out for it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Those of you who won't see it because you don't think it deserved to win...come on now, that doesn't make much sense.

Go see the movie, and if you still don't like it, then you can criticize the choice.

I LOVED it though, thought it was VERY original.
              Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I would not have gone to see it weather it won or not. It is just not my kind od movie. The fact that Hollywood is trying to ram it down my throught, that My life is not complete with out seeing it makes me want to dig in even more.

I feel that Hollywood and the Oscars are always try to reward pictures that are artisty. Or that have a heavy handed socical message, that they want to force middle America in to Changing its core values and I am tired of it.
                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dovsinlondon2012 View Post
                  I really would like to know what they base "Best Picture" on.

Because it always seems like social commentarys like Milk are nominated. And then they have Slumdog Millionaire which I hadnt even heard of until like 2 weeks ago.

A friend of mine saw Benjamin Button, and while he said it was good he was surprised to hear me say it was up for best picture. He said it was good but not "best picture" good.

Never seen or heard much about the Reader or Frost/Nixon.

But last year Juno was nominated and I still cant believe it was. WHAT IS SO GOOD ABOUT THAT MOVIE?!

Im sorry. I may still be a little annoyed. 2 years ago I thought Letters From Iwo Jima shouldve won best picture over The Departed and ive been kind cynical of the "best picture" award since. Letters is a phenomenal movie and while ive heard The Departed is good, ive also heard its your basic Scorsese in which is pretty violent up until the end where pretty much everyone dies.

But youd think theyd make the nominees for best picture the movies that actually sell the most and are extremely popular. Like TDK.
                  I'll never know what they base the best picture on. I saw Juno for the first time recently and I have to agree. I saw NOTHING in that movie that made it more than just an average movie.

I'll never take the Academy seriously since 1994 when Forest Gump won best picture over The Shawshank Redemption. You mean to tell me that Shawshank lost to a picture in which we're supposed to believe that that little boy was Forest's son? I'm sorry if I'm a little skeptical considering Jenny slept with half of North America.

But whatever. I never watch shows like this anyway. The whole damn thing is fixed. I have to agree with most of the posters in this thread. I never even heard of Slumdog Millionaire until two weeks ago.
                  sigpic

"Today's the tomorrow that you should've feared yesterday."

Comment

I would not have gone to see it weather it won or not. It is just not my kind od movie. The fact that Hollywood is trying to ram it down my throught, that My life is not complete with out seeing it makes me want to dig in even more.

I feel that Hollywood and the Oscars are always try to reward pictures that are artisty. Or that have a heavy handed socical message, that they want to force middle America in to Changing its core values and I am tired of it.
                    I'll respectfully disagree than SS.

I went to the theaters planning on seeing Gran Torino, but since it was sold out and I was already there, I saw Slumdog instead since it had received good reviews. And I loved it.

I didn't go with the intent of seeing that movie, but I wound up enjoying it much more than I did Torino.
                    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I liked the movie, if you are looking for those how would you call them... "main stream movies" then I'd definitely go see this.

Comment

I loved this movie.

I'm also happy that a movie featuring mostly ethnic actors finally won something, especially when it was well deserved.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                          i kinda agree i cant watch these types of movies . . . like seabuscuit or crap like that
                          Originally posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
                          I had never heard of this movie until about 2 weeks ago either. All the hubbub about it has being going on ever since.

Apparently it was a very low budget film filmed in Bombay India that had just increased it's revenue by 54 million in the past several weeks. So it's obvious not alot of people knew about it in the first place and just now went and saw it.

I hadn't seen any of the movies nominated in any category except for Wall-E which I enjoyed. I thought that was a great animated film.
                          Tired of "movies like these".. when you haven't even seen it. How do you know what kind of "movie it is" if you haven't seen the movie???

its full of action, drama, intrigue.. humor... the movie format was unique and superbly done...yet you guys wan to assume its an "artsy film" simply because YOU guys haven't heard of it??? Come on now. Thats pretty damned close minded and judgmental.

Also.. as much as I liked "the Dark Knight".... it was NOT the picture of the year (although had the best actor of the year).... and would never be considered " one of the all time greats" outside the world of teenagers (and or comic geeks).

I have seen almost all the pictures up for nomination (other than milk)... and felt that Slumdog was an EXCELLENT movie and very much deserved the win. No way do I feel that hollywood was/is "ramming it down my throat." God forbid that people.. or hollywood... enjoys a movie that isn't based on some comic book toon. Heaven's forgive us if we have to 'read' a few lines that are spoken in a different language. Let us completely 'Trash" the movie if it is based on a story that isn't american.

Gran Torino got alllll this hype because of Clint Eastwood. It was good, but not as good as Slumdog.

Don't judge a movie based on the fact it is about india instead of america (and yes, thats what you are doing )

And OMG.. did someone say "Seabiscuit" was "crap like that?"

Comment

"Taken" was a GREAT movie... very enjoyable... keeps yo on the edge of your seat because you are rooting for the hero.. NON-STOP action...

But it won't be up for 'movie of the year'.... movies can be a great movie to watch without having to be up for 'movie of the year.' People actually like to look for things other than how many shots were fired during the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
                              Tired of "movies like these".. when you haven't even seen it. How do you know what kind of "movie it is" if you haven't seen the movie???

its full of action, drama, intrigue.. humor... the movie format was unique and superbly done...yet you guys wan to assume its an "artsy film" simply because YOU guys haven't heard of it??? Come on now. Thats pretty damned close minded and judgmental.

Also.. as much as I liked "the Dark Knight".... it was NOT the picture of the year (although had the best actor of the year).... and would never be considered " one of the all time greats" outside the world of teenagers (and or comic geeks).

I have seen almost all the pictures up for nomination (other than milk)... and felt that Slumdog was an EXCELLENT movie and very much deserved the win. No way do I feel that hollywood was/is "ramming it down my throat." God forbid that people.. or hollywood... enjoys a movie that isn't based on some comic book toon. Heaven's forgive us if we have to 'read' a few lines that are spoken in a different language. Let us completely 'Trash" the movie if it is based on a story that isn't american.

Gran Torino got alllll this hype because of Clint Eastwood. It was good, but not as good as Slumdog.

Don't judge a movie based on the fact it is about india instead of america (and yes, thats what you are doing )

And OMG.. did someone say "Seabiscuit" was "crap like that?"
                              yes sea buscuit was dumb, no country for old men = dumb

i usually hate EVERY single one of these award winning movies so i dont bother watching them anymore

in fact if its up for an award i usually dont waste my money because 95% of the time im disappointed
                              sigpic
                              -------

Comment

Working...
                              X