No announcement yet.

Slumdog Millionaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't seen it yet, but I want too. I try to watch all the nominees for best picture...or at least the winners.

Last year I thought was a spot-on choice. No Country For Old Men is one of my favorite films, and one of my favorite novels. Honestly, not to be rude or anything, but I feel like the people who don't like this movie don't want to think. They only want a mainstream Hollywood picture that is easy to understand. The movie was excellent, but I won't go into details about it now since we are talking about Slumdog Millionaire.

I also like that a low-budget movie won, a movie that wasn't a front runner from the beginning. I can't wait to see it actually. Maybe I won't like it or think it deserved to win after I see it, but I am going to hold off my opinion for now. I don't think its fair to judge a book, or this case a movie, by its cover.

EDIT: I do want to point out one more thing. I don't think that just because a movie is nominated it is a good film. I think plenty of movies that are forgotten by the Academy are excellent, and some that are nominated are bad. But I can't make my mind up on that unless I actually see it.
    ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by Ravage!!! View Post
      I very much enjoyed this movie, and can almost predict the ending to ALL movies... so that certainly doesn't bother me. Who didn't know the ending to Ben Buttons? Nixon?? Titanic?

I mean, thats just part of it.

But I thought it was a great movie, and was rooting for this picture to win... I was happy with the winner.
      I disagree that I absolutley knew the end of Button or Titianic (yes, I knew the bpoat would sink, but, didnt know what would happen to Leo and Kate until it did). You might guess whats going to happen more generically, but, not know the exact ending. Forst/Nixon and Milk were different because they were historical events that you can look up easily (heck, some people these boards were alive and watching these events unfold with interest.)

Slumdog was amazing, until the story switched modes. At that point, the ending became blatantly obvious, and the actors lack of chemistry became bothersome. I thought it was good, juyt not great.

I much rather prefered Benjamin Button. The movie that I actually thought really deserved it was Wall E. I know, an animated film, but, I thought it had the most intriguing story, and was darn entertaining throughout.
      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
        I disagree that I absolutley knew the end of Button or Titianic (yes, I knew the bpoat would sink, but, didnt know what would happen to Leo and Kate until it did). You might guess whats going to happen more generically, but, not know the exact ending. Forst/Nixon and Milk were different because they were historical events that you can look up easily (heck, some people these boards were alive and watching these events unfold with interest.)

Slumdog was amazing, until the story switched modes. At that point, the ending became blatantly obvious, and the actors lack of chemistry became bothersome. I thought it was good, juyt not great.

I much rather prefered Benjamin Button. The movie that I actually thought really deserved it was Wall E. I know, an animated film, but, I thought it had the most intriguing story, and was darn entertaining throughout.
        Its interesting to see/hear/read different perspectives on different films I suppose. I personally didn't need "chemistry" with the main characters as you try to suggest, since they supposedly hadn't seen each other for so long. THe point was that love lasted throughout everything. I have NO idea what chemistry you were hoping to find or see, but hey... thats your choice.

But you didn't know Buttons was going to grow into a baby while she grew to be old? DIdn't they basically tell you that the entire movie? Wasn't that the point of the entire movie? Passing by one another, and yet their love continued?? I thought it was blatently obvious from the very moment you saw he was born old and getting younger.

Again... different perspectives. Wall-E... absolutely bored me to sleep. BORED ME TO SLEEP. I thought that was the worst of the animated films that I've seen in a VERY long time, except Robots (which has to be the worst movie ever made)... and I actually LOVE animated flics. Wall-E just flt out sucked (imo).

So there you go. I guess someone has to vote for the winners, and when they do you will never find EVERYONE to be happy with the decision. I personally loved the movie, and liked it MUCH better than the 'too long" benj Buttons. :shrugs:

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
          I would not have gone to see it weather it won or not. It is just not my kind od movie. The fact that Hollywood is trying to ram it down my throught, that My life is not complete with out seeing it makes me want to dig in even more.

I feel that Hollywood and the Oscars are always try to reward pictures that are artisty. Or that have a heavy handed socical message, that they want to force middle America in to Changing its core values and I am tired of it.
          I hate to say it South, but that is a VERY negative opinion to have. There is nothing wrong with learning more about the world we live in and what goes on in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
            I hate to say it South, but that is a VERY negative opinion to have. There is nothing wrong with learning more about the world we live in and what goes on in it.
            Not to mention, there is nothing wrong with being able to increase our worldly views and open our minds up instead of keeping our minds closed. It seems that not only do some refuse to open their minds an inch and allow some culture to enter, but wish that people would stop making movies that actually show culture so they don't have to see it at all.

Comment

But you didn't know Buttons was going to grow into a baby while she grew to be old? DIdn't they basically tell you that the entire movie? Wasn't that the point of the entire movie? Passing by one another, and yet their love continued?? I thought it was blatently obvious from the very moment you saw he was born old and getting younger.
              Well, that part was obvious. Sort of like I knew that the boat would sink, Mel Gibson would die in Braveheart etc. But, I didnt know how they would get together in the end. Would she see a child in her older years at a park, and recognize some spark? Would she care for him as he got younger and younger? Would she just never know what happened to him? Would she divulge the past to her husband and the two of them bring him in to care for him? All were possibilities.

Again... different perspectives. Wall-E... absolutely bored me to sleep. BORED ME TO SLEEP. I thought that was the worst of the animated films that I've seen in a VERY long time, except Robots (which has to be the worst movie ever made)... and I actually LOVE animated flics. Wall-E just flt out sucked (imo).
              Agreed about Robots. Just an all aorund bad movie. What exactly is Robin Williams doing with his career?

So there you go. I guess someone has to vote for the winners, and when they do you will never find EVERYONE to be happy with the decision. I personally loved the movie, and liked it MUCH better than the 'too long" benj Buttons. :shrugs:
              Indeed. A good friend of mine absolutley hated Button, and loved Slumdog. He calls Buttons Benjamin's Buttock's, which for some reason I find hysterically funny
              sigpic

Comment

Those of you that decry me for not wanting to see this movie I have a question for you. Have you seen any of these movies?

Flywheel
                Facing the Giants
                Fireproof
                The Second Chance

I may have unfairly lumped Slumdog, in with other movies and for that I am sorry.

My main problem is with Hollywood, reward movies like Milk, Broke Back Mountain and other movies that try to undermine the conservative Christian values that this country was founded up. I feel the AMPAS votes for these movies not because they are the best, but because they know that people will do see them simply because the where nominated.

I feel one of the best movie in the past 10 years was the Passion of the Christ. It barley got any attention from the academy. Normally this is the type of movie that the Oscar falls over its self to promote. It is a long, historical movie with subtitles that was use two dead languages as its major source of dialog. But because it was a "religious" picture that had a conservative message it had no chance.

My reason for not seeing SDM has nothing to do with being "close minded" or not being open to other cultures. That fact that you all have wrongly accused me of this upsets me. I would ask for an apology from you if I thought that I would get one.
                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                sigpic

Comment

Those of you that decry me for not wanting to see this movie I have a question for you. Have you seen any of these movies?

Flywheel
                  Facing the Giants
                  Fireproof
                  The Second Chance

I may have unfairly lumped Slumdog, in with other movies and for that I am sorry.

My main problem is with Hollywood, reward movies like Milk, Broke Back Mountain and other movies that try to undermine the conservative Christian values that this country was founded up. I feel the AMPAS votes for these movies not because they are the best, but because they know that people will do see them simply because the where nominated.

I feel one of the best movie in the past 10 years was the Passion of the Christ. It barley got any attention from the academy. Normally this is the type of movie that the Oscar falls over its self to promote. It is a long, historical movie with subtitles that was use two dead languages as its major source of dialog. But because it was a "religious" picture that had a conservative message it had no chance.

My reason for not seeing SDM has nothing to do with being "close minded" or not being open to other cultures. That fact that you all have wrongly accused me of this upsets me. I would ask for an apology from you if I thought that I would get one.
                  I'm sorry South, but I can't agree with you here.

Brokeback Mountain was an incredible film and a very moving story. I have not seen Milk, but I obviously know what it is about. I think it is great that the Academy awards movies that attempt to break the mold and make people think. After all, movies are art, and art is not art unless it challenges your opinions, morals and beliefs.

Obviously you don't like the movies I just mentioned because they go against classical conservative beliefs, but what, may I ask has Slumdog Millionaire done to make you dislike it so much? I see that this film is showing us a story in a country that is not our own and about a culture that we do not live in. What is wrong with that? What is wrong with learning about a place you have never seen, and maybe gaining a new understanding about a place and a people you may not have known about before viewing it? Plenty of award-winning films have done the same thing.

I would go into a more political discussion here about what I feel is wrong and what is right in this world, but this is not the place. I just can't help but feel a lot of negativity and hate coming from this thread concerning subjects of some movies. Frankly, it makes me quite sad.

Comment

I would go into a more political discussion here about what I feel is wrong and what is right in this world, but this is not the place. I just can't help but feel a lot of negativity and hate coming from this thread concerning subjects of some movies. Frankly, it makes me quite sad.
                    Indeed. I was hoping more people had seen it and would weigh in on it, and on the others that had been up for the award. But, each thread has a life of its own I guess.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry South, but I can't agree with you here.

Brokeback Mountain was an incredible film and a very moving story. I have not seen Milk, but I obviously know what it is about. I think it is great that the Academy awards movies that attempt to break the mold and make people think. After all, movies are art, and art is not art unless it challenges your opinions, morals and beliefs.

Obviously you don't like the movies I just mentioned because they go against classical conservative beliefs, but what, may I ask has Slumdog Millionaire done to make you dislike it so much? I see that this film is showing us a story in a country that is not our own and about a culture that we do not live in. What is wrong with that? What is wrong with learning about a place you have never seen, and maybe gaining a new understanding about a place and a people you may not have known about before viewing it? Plenty of award-winning films have done the same thing.

I could not disagree with you more on what you say the purpose of art is.

You quoted me, but I don't think you read it. I have no problem with learning about new cutlures, or "gaining a new understanding about a place and a people you may not have known about before viewing it." If you think that is why I did not want to see this movie you are VERY wrong.

For the record I don't go the movies that often. The last movie I saw in the threaters was TDK. I think most of what Hollywood puts out is garbage.

The reason I was upset it got all the wins it did is quite simple. Hollywood has a double standered. Films the the ones I mention had now chance at getting an Oscar, reguardless of how good they are because they have a moral message that Hollywood does not want to hear. The Oscars for Best Picture is not truly about the Best Picture. It is the best message we want to force on everyone else.

If this thread is making you want to cry Snap, I am sorry. Think how I must feel. The people on here that I thought where my friends are attack and insulting me. Trying to tell me that I am wrong for not wanting to watch movies that I am not intrested in, or go againts my core values.
                      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                      sigpic

Comment

I could not disagree with you more on what you say the purpose of art is.

You quoted me, but I don't think you read it. I have no problem with learning about new cutlures, or "gaining a new understanding about a place and a people you may not have known about before viewing it." If you think that is why I did not want to see this movie you are VERY wrong.

For the record I don't go the movies that often. The last movie I saw in the threaters was TDK. I think most of what Hollywood puts out is garbage.

The reason I was upset it got all the wins it did is quite simple. Hollywood has a double standered. Films the the ones I mention had now chance at getting an Oscar, reguardless of how good they are because they have a moral message that Hollywood does not want to hear. The Oscars for Best Picture is not truly about the Best Picture. It is the best message we want to force on everyone else.

If this thread is making you want to cry Snap, I am sorry. Think how I must feel. The people on here that I thought where my friends are attack and insulting me. Trying to tell me that I am wrong for not wanting to watch movies that I am not intrested in, or go againts my core values.
                        I heard that purpose/definition of art in a class I took her at UW and I thought it was spot-on. Why create art if it only adds to what we already have?

No one is forcing you to watch these movies, no one is telling you that you have to agree with them. But what I am telling you is that I disagree with your attitude. I don't think it is fair to judge something before watching it, but that is just how I was raised. I guess I would like to know what film , of those nominated, you thought should have won the award. I think we all can agree that The Dark Knight was a great film, but in no way was it best picture worthy. Also, how do you feel about movies like Schindler's List? Rain Man? Gandi? Out of Africa? And what about last year's winner No Country For Old Men? I'm curious now.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore about this, because I am entitled to my opinion just like you are to yours. Don't take offense that your "friends" have their own opinions and beliefs. I have every right to defend my beliefs as you do.

Comment

All I said was I thought you should give it a chance before criticizing it South.

Maybe they give certain movies too much credit...but you have to assume the movie that wins Best Picture isn't going to be bad.

Give it a shot, and if you don't like it, that's completely fine.

I just want you to watch it first.
                          Administrator

sigpic

Comment

I honestly am reading that South has a problem with films that buck against christian values .. IE: accept gays... are being accepted by people and by the acadamy when the movie "The something or other of Christ" didn't get much acclaim.

probably because the story of christ just wasn't worthy of acclaim...at least not in my opinion. Is that a double standard, or just seeing what a great film is and what isn't. I mean, I think I saw someone say that TDK was one of the "great films of all time." That tells you that some people have different opinions on what truly is a good movie, and what truly is worthy of being acknowledged as best movie of the year.

Comment

I honestly am reading that South has a problem with films that buck against christian values .. IE: accept gays... are being accepted by people and by the acadamy when the movie "The something or other of Christ" didn't get much acclaim.

probably because the story of christ just wasn't worthy of acclaim...at least not in my opinion. Is that a double standard, or just seeing what a great film is and what isn't. I mean, I think I saw someone say that TDK was one of the "great films of all time." That tells you that some people have different opinions on what truly is a good movie, and what truly is worthy of being acknowledged as best movie of the year.
                              You're trying to simplify his opinion. The Passion of the Christ was only one example.

I too think that Hollywood can be preachy at times.

I won't let it stop me from eventually seeing Slumdog...

Well... Actually, I'll probably look up some opinions on it first, but I trust you guys enough to think it's worth seeing. In a lot of other cases though, if I felt like I was going to a movie that was likely to preach at me, I would probably look it up and decide if it was worth my time.

I don't really like movies that are preachy that I even agree with.

*shrug*

Comment

Originally posted by LordTrychon View Post
                                You're trying to simplify his opinion. The Passion of the Christ was only one example.

I too think that Hollywood can be preachy at times.

I won't let it stop me from eventually seeing Slumdog...

Well... Actually, I'll probably look up some opinions on it first, but I trust you guys enough to think it's worth seeing. In a lot of other cases though, if I felt like I was going to a movie that was likely to preach at me, I would probably look it up and decide if it was worth my time.

I don't really like movies that are preachy that I even agree with.

*shrug*
                                Me either...... Slumdog is just a great movie... a great story.... fun...enjoyable... not political.. not religious.. just good.

But I guess My biggest problem is the closed mindedness. Its judging before we see, hear, talk with, listen or read what is there. Its the 'judging a book on its cover'.. when you only see the binding.

Now.. I kn ow we do that with ALLLL products. I mean, thats why we spend so much money on advertising and product design.. from color, to packaging, to logo, to the precise words to use when talking about what the product/service does. But that doesn't mean that we have to assume that because a group of people picks it as the 'best product' out there, its because its agenda is to go against our "christian" (or what I call, shut-door-minded) values.

:shrugs: But, as I said before. People are more than welcome to say they like this or that (obviously).... but don't assume the movie wasn't worthy of the choice if you haven't even seen it. Even if you actually believe that Dark Knight was MoTY worthy, how can you say that Slumdog wasn't as good without actually watching it? Thats like tasting a single piece of meat, and saying its the best meat EVER without tasting another cut.

Comment

Working...
                                X