Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you HATE when bands change their entire sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you HATE when bands change their entire sound?

Damn..

When I find a sweet band that I follow for a while... I usually really get into them.

I'll hit up a show here and there if I can, and own every LP that they bring out.

Ya know. I'll listen to that band nonstop. The songs don't get old.

And then all of a sudden, something will happen (or won't happen), and their next release will be a complete OPPOSITE of what they used to sound like.

Here's my example (Please, take a good listen to the songs so you can tell):

I'm a (well was) a HUGE A Change of Pace fan. No, you're not going to hear these guys on VH1 or on the radio, and you probably might have never heard of them ever.

I own every album that these guys have made, whether it's an EP or an LP.

The first LP I bought, I fell in love with the band.

Listen to this, two of their hits from their first album "An Offer You Can't Refuse"

Asleep at the Wheel

No One Knows

Do ya like the songs? It's okay if you don't....

A year later, they release their second LP "Prepare the Masses". I thought it was decent, nothing terrible. Here's my two songs from that album that i listen too if I'm lifting or running:

Shoot from the Hip

How to Rape a Country

NOW, a year later, the lead singer left because the band was having some problems. They bring in a new singer, and TOTALLY change their sound.

Listen to this crap:

I'll be there

The First Time We Ever Met

Yeah, it sucks that the band got a new singer... but the guys clearly sold out and changed their ENTIRE tune. Most bands do this crap because their record label wants them to change their tune so they can get onto the radio or some VH1 channel.

It's absolutely pathetic.

Thoughts??

3oh3 was the same way they had their 1st album with all the classics that they were amazing on. Their 2nd album was absolutely terrible, and absolutely diff. It pisses me off bc sometimes i waste money and i aint getting what i expect.
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah I dont like it either.

I think the worst is when the band generally stays the same but changes completely. Even if before they were hugely popular with their normal sound.

My example is a band called Project 86. Up to their 5th album they were pretty much hardcore rock. They were loud and chaotic and crazy and their music was good.

But then their last album came out and they went from this hardcore band to this stupid 80's punk kind of sound. Completely different from their previous albums.

The only difference in the band is their drummer left. That was it. Singer, guitarist, and bassist stayed the same but they changed for the worse.
      LET 'ER BUCK!!!
      Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Usually I don't like it, but sometimes I do. Like when Rage Against the Machine became Audioslave when they had Chris Cornell be the singer.

Comment

Well I think korn did an awesome job.....but Metallica......imo everything post the black album is garbage....but I agree with the earlier post....it's far worse for a band to release the exact same sounding album over and over aka Limp Bizkit....
          "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

Originally posted by karnage View Post
            Well I think korn did an awesome job.....but Metallica......imo everything post the black album is garbage....but I agree with the earlier post....it's far worse for a band to release the exact same sounding album over and over aka Limp Bizkit....

Or Green Day....
            *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
            *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
            *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Linkin Park, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Offspring, 3oh!3, Avenged Sevenfold, all immediately came to mind

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                Or Green Day....
                You're telling me Dookie and American Idiot sound the exactly the same?

Ok!

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                  Linkin Park, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Offspring, 3oh!3, Avenged Sevenfold, all immediately came to mind
                  This is the first thougt I had.
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                    Pretty much man.

Comment

Rage to Audioslave was a good change. Great, even. I wasn't a big fan of Rage, but I like Audioslave.

Korn did a pretty good job.

I don't really like it when bands stay EXACTLY the same. My biggest beef is with Theory of a Deadman. All the guy ever used to sing about was the girl that left him/was going to leave him. I was getting so sick of hearing what I thought was the same song over and over. With their last album, they came out with songs like Bad Girlfriend (to which I thought, it's still about a girl but it's a step in the right direction) and I Hate My Life (to which I thought, FINALLY!!).

One band that I've grown more fond of as I hear more of their music: Seether. They tend to change their sound kinda often, but it's always a step in the right direction. I like it.

And of course, you know I love Nickelback. There were a couple songs on Dark Horse that made me think, "This is what rock should sound like."

Meg's beef with someone who completely changed their sound is Relient K. I like their new sound, but she doesn't.

Man, I could talk about music all day. Instead, I'm going to Youtube to listen to a few songs that are stuck in my head. :salute!:
                      I adopted Peanut!!!
                      Adopted by *Atwater*!!!

I'm UNDEFEATED at Broncos games!!!!

12/06/09 @ Kansas City: W 44-13

sigpic

Comment

Wow B4, that is really different. That would make me mad too. I am all for bands trying new things and maybe changing their sound a bit, but they need to keep the integrity of the work that made their first or second CD so good.

I love The All-American Rejects, and all three of their CDs are new and interesting but at the same time, they still sound like AAR. I like that they change it a little bit, but they still bring the same style to their music. I love that about them
                        ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                          Slipknot, Mudvayne,
                          Those 2 definitely. Mudvayne alot more then slipknot though. The past 2 mudvayne albums have been huge disappointments.

But the biggest sell-outs of all time? Rocktallica.

They went from classic thrash songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m99ybtk4QNs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyYZFtnCTE4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlgUx7_aN0

To that soft, pathetic, weak BS they called load, reload, st.anger, and death magnetic.
                          the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
                            Wow B4, that is really different. That would make me mad too. I am all for bands trying new things and maybe changing their sound a bit, but they need to keep the integrity of the work that made their first or second CD so good.

I love The All-American Rejects, and all three of their CDs are new and interesting but at the same time, they still sound like AAR. I like that they change it a little bit, but they still bring the same style to their music. I love that about them
                            I agree with ya. Bands should explore and try some new things, but changing their sound so much like ACOP did is just annoying to fans.

I could really care less about this band anymore.

Comment

oh and I forgot one band that did benefit from changing their sound.....Pantera.....If u look up their first album around 1983....they were originally a hair band.....and good lord us it awful
                              "Badger my a$$ it's probably Milhouse...."

Comment

Working...
                              X