Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you HATE when bands change their entire sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by captainbronco View Post
    LP didnt shut Mike Shinoda out in their new album (which was crap) he sang more than he rapped.
    He sang one song himself, and rapped on 2 (Bleed It Out, Hands Held High). If you're talking about backup vocals, he has always done that.

That's far from what he did on Hybrid Theory and Meteora. On Minutes to Midnight, he mainly just played guitar I think.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora because they are my favorite albums of all time.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
      He sang one song himself, and rapped on 2 (Bleed It Out, Hands Held High). If you're talking about backup vocals, he has always done that.

That's far from what he did on Hybrid Theory and Meteora. On Minutes to Midnight, he mainly just played guitar I think.

Now if you'll excuse me, I am going to go listen to Hybrid Theory and Meteora because they are my favorite albums of all time.
      yeah hybrid theory not one song on that album that is a skip able song

Comment

Hmm, a lot of the bands I love do this. I don't mind a change in the sound of the band as long as they retain the elements that make them them. In the end, I'd rather the band evolved over time than just turn out stuff that's musically very similar year after year after year.

For example, there's a band I love called Pure Reason Revolution. Their first album and related recordings are all pretty progressive and draw heavily on the prog genre whilst putting other elements (such as three part harmonies). Their new stuff is very much more electro based but still retains some of the progressive elements and they're still very recognisably PRR, just morphing into a different genre.

I guess it's always heartbreaking when one of your favourite band goes in the complete opposite direction to your music tastes (see Muse - I love their first three albums but the last one was unbelievably mediocre/crap. I mean...if it weren't Muse, it would be just below average...but it made me angry). But there are always plenty more fish in the sea.
        sigpic

Elvon Millervil eat grues for breakfast.

Pey-Pey to Bey-Bey for the Tey-Dey.

Comment

Originally posted by muse View Post
          Hmm, a lot of the bands I love do this. I don't mind a change in the sound of the band as long as they retain the elements that make them them. In the end, I'd rather the band evolved over time than just turn out stuff that's musically very similar year after year after year.

I guess it's always heartbreaking when one of your favourite band goes in the complete opposite direction to your music tastes (see Muse - I love their first three albums but the last one was unbelievably mediocre/crap. I mean...if it weren't Muse, it would be just below average...but it made me angry). But there are always plenty more fish in the sea.

not a fan of black holes, no? I thought it was quite good. ya can never accuse muse of selling out though, they just look to do something new with each new album.. like showbiz,origin of symmetry and absolution are all quite different from one another

and to whoever was mentioning linkin park earlier, i personally think the minutes to midnight album is very decent at least. however, they have drifted quite a bit, mike has been largely left out and i dont like the way they're trying to be the next u2 or something......so i can understand why people dont like it and regard it a sellout
          Last edited by milehighireland; 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM.
          Manning Fatigue (noun): The act of being sick as hell of watching a HOF qb take half of forever to decide what to do and just wishing he'd make up his mind.

Comment

Opinion alert!

Originally posted by xX
            AFI changed for the better imo. I couldn't stand any of their old albums.
            You disappoint me. AFI has turned into a fashioncore mess. Sing the Sorrow was their last good album, and it was pretty awesome.

Originally posted by osubroncos86 View Post
            Rage to Audioslave was a good change. Great, even. I wasn't a big fan of Rage, but I like Audioslave.

Korn did a pretty good job.

I don't really like it when bands stay EXACTLY the same. My biggest beef is with Theory of a Deadman. All the guy ever used to sing about was the girl that left him/was going to leave him. I was getting so sick of hearing what I thought was the same song over and over. With their last album, they came out with songs like Bad Girlfriend (to which I thought, it's still about a girl but it's a step in the right direction) and I Hate My Life (to which I thought, FINALLY!!).

One band that I've grown more fond of as I hear more of their music: Seether. They tend to change their sound kinda often, but it's always a step in the right direction. I like it.

And of course, you know I love Nickelback. There were a couple songs on Dark Horse that made me think, "This is what rock should sound like."

Meg's beef with someone who completely changed their sound is Relient K. I like their new sound, but she doesn't.

Man, I could talk about music all day. Instead, I'm going to Youtube to listen to a few songs that are stuck in my head. :salute!:
            RATM was better than Audioslave IMO, but Audioslave was still pretty good. I just prefer the more energetic style of Rage.

Also, those bands you mentioned suck ass for the most part. You're right about Theory of a Deadman though...they had a couple good songs until they all started to sound the same. Seether is one of the few modern post-grunge alternative metal stuff that I can enjoy, they can make some good tunes. Nickelback though...throw up in my mouth. If you've heard one song you've heard them all. At some point in their career they found the formula for the perfect soft rock radio hit, became popular, kept using the same formula. It's just bland.

Although I like how a band like Pearl Jam 'tweak' their sound. I couldn't stand hearing a teenage angst album like 'Ten' from a bunch of 40 year olds. But they still put out some damn good rock n roll and have changed for the positive.
            They were only in their mid to late 20s when Ten came out. Pearl Jam is excellent.

Incubus was never metal, but they are still nice and original. Papa Roach sucks, they're really poppy now which is even worse than they used to be. One of their new songs (I don't know which one) is a complete ripoff of Keane's song Everybody's Changing.

Linkin Park, my favorite band until I was like 13...their last album was disappointing, but i'm glad that they actually attempted to do something different. I'll admit their whole nu metal rap/rock style was getting really repetitive and old. Hybrid Theory is classic and Meteora is good, but they were getting generic, so i'm glad they took a risk on the last album instead of following in the steps of Nickelback.

For the record, Green Day was awesome (and new stuff is respectable even though I don't like it that much) and Metallica's later stuff was just as good as their early stuff. However Metallica's songs sound the same alot of the time, from both their thrash stuff and more recent stuff.

/elitist rant

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdien
              Metallica's later stuff was just as good as their early stuff.
              No way. Metallica meant so much to metal in the 80's, and then they just completely turned there back on the entire scene and released some BS radio rock records that don't even come close to matching the intensity or technicality of the first 4 or 5 albums. They completely abandoned those fast grinding riffs, epic guitar solos, thick heavy bass that you can actually hear, and the creative lyrics that made metallica. Now it's just radio-friendly, half-assed, easy riffs, acoustic cover songs, no bass at all,and radio-friendly lyrics of James *****ing about his personal problems like an angsty 16 year old emo/grunge kid. Not to mention Lars's drumming has gone waaay down hill since ...and justice.

I mean seriously, whiskey in the jar? "Whiskey in the jarooooooo" what the hell james? and nursery rhymes? really? F-that.
              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                You disappoint me. AFI has turned into a fashioncore mess. Sing the Sorrow was their last good album, and it was pretty awesome.
                To be honest that was the only album I was really thinking about when I typed that, no lie. Decemberunderground to me was ok to me but Sing the Sorrow is my favorite album from them.

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93 View Post
                  No way. Metallica meant so much to metal in the 80's, and then they just completely turned there back on the entire scene and released some BS radio rock records that don't even come close to matching the intensity or technicality of the first 4 or 5 albums. They completely abandoned those fast grinding riffs, epic guitar solos, thick heavy bass that you can actually hear, and the creative lyrics that made metallica. Now it's just radio-friendly, half-assed, easy riffs, acoustic cover songs, no bass at all,and radio-friendly lyrics of James *****ing about his personal problems like an angsty 16 year old emo/grunge kid. Not to mention Lars's drumming has gone waaay down hill since ...and justice.

I mean seriously, whiskey in the jar? "Whiskey in the jarooooooo" what the hell james? and nursery rhymes? really? F-that.
                  Yeah, but what's wrong with them changing up their style a bit? Thrash gets old, they couldn't have gone this long by playing the same old thrash songs over and over again. I understand where you're coming from though. I just tend to be glad that they made something just as good (to me) while still being Metallica. But you could make the case that they sold out on their last album. Since on St. Anger they were doing what they wanted and nobody liked it they decided to go back to the stuff that everybody liked instead of doing what they want.

To xX: I am no longer disappointed in you.

Comment

Originally posted by str8jacket View Post
                    Linkin Park, Slipknot, Mudvayne, Offspring, 3oh!3, Avenged Sevenfold, all immediately came to mind
                    Is it just me or does "New Divide" and "What I've Done" sound exactly the same? Maybe it's because they were probably both specifically written to be featured in Transformers... and I guess it's neat that they got them to do another song... but eh... I'll listen to the Score over and over before I'll even buy either movie's "Album" which is basically just a popular-fest.

That 21 Guns song by Green Day is horsecrap. Well I guess it's not complete garbage... but Green Day has definitely "gone to seed" if you will.

Originally posted by osubroncos86 View Post
                    And of course, you know I love Nickelback. There were a couple songs on Dark Horse that made me think, "This is what rock should sound like."

Meg's beef with someone who completely changed their sound is Relient K. I like their new sound, but she doesn't.

Man, I could talk about music all day. Instead, I'm going to Youtube to listen to a few songs that are stuck in my head. :salute!:
                    Nickelback is the most disgusting excuse of a rock band. Quite literally their albums ARE the same. They don't just sound the same... they even have songs where they didn't even change the music, but just switched up the lyrics... it's horrible. I can't remember how to find it but there's a site that had the two songs where one song played out of one speaker and the other song out of the other and they were exactly the same...

As for RelientK. I don't think they've really changed much... They still keep to their roots of being pretty strange and funky with the majority of stuff... Just the stuff that makes it to the radio ends up being their more serious stuff.

What is saddening me is my all time favorite band Matchbox20(Twenty, or twenty...however you want to do it) is starting to dismantle themselves. It started with More Than You Think You Are I think... because they changed sounds so much... I liked it at first... they are definitely so talented that they are able to bring so much to the table... but then they took a break, and they all went off and did solo stuff... and then that got to Rob Thomas, and now he thinks he's all that and not to mention his solo album was so.... "poppy"... there were a few good songs on it but it made me sick... I'm expecting more from his upcoming album due out Tuesday "Cradlesong" but...I'll still get it.

What pissed me off was "Exile on Mainstream" the band's last little stint together as MBT. One main problem is that it was missing Adam Gaynor, the band's rhythm guitarist... and the fact that they only released 6 new songs and then shoved it onto this "greatest hits" thing with songs they've already done... such a cheeseball effort by a group of amazingly talented guys...

I just hope they come back as MBT and start turning out great stuff like "Yourself or Someone Like You" again... but they need to reconcile with Gaynor and bring everyone back...

Your solo crap has to end Rob... it's not the same... it's not what made you famous.. and frankly, it pains me to say it but for the most part, it's garbage.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

so now it's tuesday, and as i said i've gone out and picked up a copy of "cradlesong" from Mr. Thomas. I'm glad he's got his shaggy MBT lead singer hair back... you're getting there Rob.

the album i've only had a minimal time to listen to so far and get a good idea of what i think... but i think it's going to be just like "Something to Be" however the final 4 songs are pretty good, more along the lines of his MBT roots. i think this may be overall better than StB, but i don't know. i'll have to give it time. and this time no guest appearances by my fav. matchstick Kyle Cook. that guy is a guitar god. sad.

oh well. i just need to find the other guys' solo stuff... i've heard a bit of each and I think Paul and Kyle do some good stuff. Adam's is pretty strange though.

also as i'm talking i'm probably making it obvious that i'm a HUGE matchbox twenty fan by the way i'm talking... *shrugs* whatever. been following them since 1996 when Push hit radios as their first smash single and i was 12. i'm 26 now...lol.

and everyone who's anyone knows you're not a true MBT fan unless you have the "Don't Play With Matches" album from Rob, Paul and Brian's first band, Tabitha's Secret... the real origination of "3 AM"
                      Last edited by RealBronco; 07-01-2009, 12:48 AM.
                      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Originally posted by tpryce93 View Post

People rag on Metallica too much for that, but come on, of course they were going to run their course. They've been together for what, 30 years now? They got old, and their music aged with them.

Comment

Originally posted by licence_to_kill View Post
                          People rag on Metallica too much for that, but come on, of course they were going to run their course. They've been together for what, 30 years now? They got old, and their music aged with them.
                          Slayer has been together for 30 years, you see them selling out? Not a chance!! Selling out has nothing to do with getting old. Some people will blame it on that sure, but I don't buy it.

I agree 100 percent with tpryce.

To aberdien, thrash never gets old. Not sure what you mean by "Thrash gets old, they couldn't have gone this long by playing the same old thrash songs over and over again." Again, look at Slayer. They've stayed the course, and have a dedicated following that appreciate them NOT selling out. Can't say the same for Metallica.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post
                            Slayer has been together for 30 years, you see them selling out? Not a chance!! Selling out has nothing to do with getting old. Some people will blame it on that sure, but I don't buy it.

To aberdien, thrash never gets old. Not sure what you mean by "Thrash gets old, they couldn't have gone this long by playing the same old thrash songs over and over again." Again, look at Slayer. They've stayed the course, and have a dedicated following that appreciate them NOT selling out. Can't say the same for Metallica.

Yeah, but Slayer never had anywhere near the commercial success that Metallica had. Metallica got uber popular and then had to live up to that hype. Slayer has had the benefit of being in their niche and not having to please the masses. So it is a double edged sword for some bands. I highly doubt anyone associated wth Metallica would give up the worldwide fame and wealth they accumulated for being considered sell outs by some. And I doubt Slayer would trade their situation to be uber popular. To each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post

Slayer also have come out with a different sound on each album, but they change there sound in a way that's true to them and there fans, and is still pretty "metal". They're able to keep it fresh for them and the fans. South of Heaven doesn't sound anything like Reign in Blood, yet it's still Slayer.
                              the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                                Yeah, but Slayer never had anywhere near the commercial success that Metallica had. Metallica got uber popular and then had to live up to that hype. Slayer has had the benefit of being in their niche and not having to please the masses. So it is a double edged sword for some bands. I highly doubt anyone associated wth Metallica would give up the worldwide fame and wealth they accumulated for being considered sell outs by some. And I doubt Slayer would trade their situation to be uber popular. To each their own.
                                Metallica only got real popular because they sold out. I would say Slayer now is more popular than Metallica was before the Black album came out. I'm only 22, so this is only a guess. But what I'm trying to say is, Metallica didn't have to live up to any hype, it was AFTER they sold out that they had to live up to it. They didn't have to please anybody. If your making music to please other people, it's the wrong reason to be playing music. Which is why Metallica, in my opinion, is a sell out.

As far as your last comment goes, I totally agree that Metallica and Slayer wouldn't trade places if they had the chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X