Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you HATE when bands change their entire sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Damn..

When I find a sweet band that I follow for a while... I usually really get into them.

I'll hit up a show here and there if I can, and own every LP that they bring out.

Ya know. I'll listen to that band nonstop. The songs don't get old.

And then all of a sudden, something will happen (or won't happen), and their next release will be a complete OPPOSITE of what they used to sound like.

Here's my example (Please, take a good listen to the songs so you can tell):

I'm a (well was) a HUGE A Change of Pace fan. No, you're not going to hear these guys on VH1 or on the radio, and you probably might have never heard of them ever.

I own every album that these guys have made, whether it's an EP or an LP.

The first LP I bought, I fell in love with the band.

Listen to this, two of their hits from their first album "An Offer You Can't Refuse"

Asleep at the Wheel

No One Knows

Do ya like the songs? It's okay if you don't....

A year later, they release their second LP "Prepare the Masses". I thought it was decent, nothing terrible. Here's my two songs from that album that i listen too if I'm lifting or running:

Shoot from the Hip

How to Rape a Country

NOW, a year later, the lead singer left because the band was having some problems. They bring in a new singer, and TOTALLY change their sound.

Listen to this crap:

I'll be there

The First Time We Ever Met

Yeah, it sucks that the band got a new singer... but the guys clearly sold out and changed their ENTIRE tune. Most bands do this crap because their record label wants them to change their tune so they can get onto the radio or some VH1 channel.

It's absolutely pathetic.

Thoughts??
    ya I see what your saying man... they sort of emo it up a bit

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post
      Slayer has been together for 30 years, you see them selling out? Not a chance!! Selling out has nothing to do with getting old. Some people will blame it on that sure, but I don't buy it.

I agree 100 percent with tpryce.

To aberdien, thrash never gets old. Not sure what you mean by "Thrash gets old, they couldn't have gone this long by playing the same old thrash songs over and over again." Again, look at Slayer. They've stayed the course, and have a dedicated following that appreciate them NOT selling out. Can't say the same for Metallica.
      I guess maybe it's just Metallica's version of thrash that sounded way too similar. They couldn't have gone any longer without being copycats of themselves. Slayer can be more diverse in the thrash genre though. It's kinda like Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their latest album is lame for the most part because I found it sounded so much like their other stuff.

Metallica only got real popular because they sold out. I would say Slayer now is more popular than Metallica was before the Black album came out. I'm only 22, so this is only a guess. But what I'm trying to say is, Metallica didn't have to live up to any hype, it was AFTER they sold out that they had to live up to it. They didn't have to please anybody. If your making music to please other people, it's the wrong reason to be playing music. Which is why Metallica, in my opinion, is a sell out.

As far as your last comment goes, I totally agree that Metallica and Slayer wouldn't trade places if they had the chance.
      In the end Metallica did what they wanted to do. How would they know that mainstream audiences would love One so much or whatever. So technically i'd say that they "sold out" after they had the pressure of pleasing the audience. Just because they changed genre's doesn't mean they sold out, though. The moment they sold out was when they came out with their latest album after seeing how badly everybody hated St. Anger and decided to make the music that everybody likes, IMO.

But whatever, basically i'm just saying either way Metallica is a good listen but they have always gone tired and bland after a while.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
        I guess maybe it's just Metallica's version of thrash that sounded way too similar. They couldn't have gone any longer without being copycats of themselves. Slayer can be more diverse in the thrash genre though. It's kinda like Red Hot Chili Peppers. Their latest album is lame for the most part because I found it sounded so much like their other stuff.

In the end Metallica did what they wanted to do. How would they know that mainstream audiences would love One so much or whatever. So technically i'd say that they "sold out" after they had the pressure of pleasing the audience. Just because they changed genre's doesn't mean they sold out, though. The moment they sold out was when they came out with their latest album after seeing how badly everybody hated St. Anger and decided to make the music that everybody likes, IMO.

But whatever, basically i'm just saying either way Metallica is a good listen but they have always gone tired and bland after a while.
        I agree with a couple of your points. I don't think changing genres makes you a sellout. People age and there preferences change, I understand that, it's happened to me a few times in my short life. I still think that they went soft to gain a bigger audience, which is why I believe them to be sellouts. Like I said earlier, I'm young and don't remember when the Black album came out, so I'm not a Metallica expert. I'm just a fool on the internet expressing my opinion. Your right about them being a good listen.......pre Black album that is!!

Comment

Originally posted by LbloodOjunkieG View Post
          I agree with a couple of your points. I don't think changing genres makes you a sellout. People age and there preferences change, I understand that, it's happened to me a few times in my short life. I still think that they went soft to gain a bigger audience, which is why I believe them to be sellouts. Like I said earlier, I'm young and don't remember when the Black album came out, so I'm not a Metallica expert. I'm just a fool on the internet expressing my opinion. Your right about them being a good listen.......pre Black album that is!!
          Haha yeah well i'm younger than you so I am just a walking opinion too.

Comment

Working...
          X