The Tonight Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tonight Show

Just wanted to say seeing that it was the last day of Jay Leno hosting the Tonight show that it's not going to be the same without him there seeing that I literally grew up watching him.

I know Conan is more then enough to take his place though because I think he's just hilarious but I wanted to say thanks for all those years of entertaining us with your hilarious antics and the not so hilarious ones too. :salute!:

I have to say though I am excited about having Conan on because Jimmy Fallon has not been doing anything for me.

Interesting how things go. Because of my age, I was privileged to watch Johnny Carson, who I believe was the greatest TV host in history. It was so hard to fathom life without him when he left the job.

I like Jay, and I believe he did an outstanding job. Critics thought he would drop into 2nd place in the late night show competition, but he kept the show on top. Good for him.....he's a class act.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Interesting how things go. Because of my age, I was privileged to watch Johnny Carson, who I believe was the greatest TV host in history. It was so hard to fathom life without him when he left the job.

I like Jay, and I believe he did an outstanding job. Critics thought he would drop into 2nd place in the late night show competition, but he kept the show on top. Good for him.....he's a class act.
      It's sort of crazy how times have past isn't it? One day I'm watching Leno and O'brien now it's going to be O'brien and Fallon. By the time I'm an old man I'll probably have watched over 50 television hosts

Comment

Yeah I just watched the last show. Pretty sad because Ive grown up watching Jay, but Conan is my favorite and I cant wait till Monday. Oh any I think Jimmy Fallon is doing pretty well. :salute!:
        sigpic

Comment

I loved Johnny too. Unfortunately it will be hard for anyone to top him. He was the king of what he did. I remember watching that last show and I was devastated to think that I would see him in that chair again.

Jay was a worthy successor though. And Im pretty excited to see this new show. Seems to be more of Jay interacting with people and doing bits without the interviews. Could be lots of laughs!

And I think Conan will carry the mantle well. His show was been good for years and he has definitely grown as a host.
          sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
            It's sort of crazy how times have past isn't it? One day I'm watching Leno and O'brien now it's going to be O'brien and Fallon. By the time I'm an old man I'll probably have watched over 50 television hosts
            I remember Johnny and Dave. Wow, I am getting old.

And I remember when Joan Rivers was fill in host.
            sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
              Yeah I just watched the last show. Pretty sad because Ive grown up watching Jay, but Conan is my favorite and I cant wait till Monday. Oh any I think Jimmy Fallon is doing pretty well. :salute!:
              I like Jimmy because he seems like a nice guy but either the writers aren't doing their jobs right or Jimmy can't land the jokes properly. Heck it could be both I'm not sure but his jokes don't seem funny to me and the only thing I like about it are the Roots. I'm not saying the show is terrible but compared to Conan it's nothing but it does get me to chuckle a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                And I remember when Joan Rivers was fill in host.
                Oh gawd I'm glad I wasn't there to see that!

Comment

I like Jimmy because he seems like a nice guy but either the writers aren't doing their jobs right or Jimmy can't land the jokes properly. Heck it could be both I'm not sure but his jokes don't seem funny to me and the only thing I like about it are the Roots. I'm not saying the show is terrible but compared to Conan it's nothing but it does get me to chuckle a couple of times.
                  Remember how Conan was when he first started? Not very good. It took the show at least 3 years to be funny. Im not saying Jimmys show isnt funny though because I think they do some pretty funny original stuff, like "lick it for 10 bucks"
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh gawd I'm glad I wasn't there to see that!
                    Yeh, I wasnt a fan. Actually, it is part of what started the whole late night wars. Joan was being rumored as the successor, but Dave was the one everything thought had the job.

Anyways, Joan and Johnny had a falling out and she was off the show. Thats when Jay comes in. Then he becomes the permanent fill in. Second time Dave has been slighted in The Tonight Show successor game (Letterman wanted TTS more than anything in the world).

Jay takes over. Dave goes to CBS. And the rest is history.
                    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                      Remember how Conan was when he first started? Not very good. It took the show at least 3 years to be funny. Im not saying Jimmys show isnt funny though because I think they do some pretty funny original stuff, like "lick it for 10 bucks"
                      I wouldn't know because I was only a baby back then so I've essentially always saw a funny Conan but I'll definitely take your word for it because it's probably true.

I admit though, some of Fallon's stuff is very original and I give him props for that like the stuff he makes the audience do an etc.

Comment

I wouldn't know because I was only a baby back then so I've essentially always saw a funny Conan but I'll definitely take your word for it because it's probably true.

I admit though, some of Fallon's stuff is very original and I give him props for that like the stuff he makes the audience do an etc.
                        Good thing you never saw the Chevy Chase show!
                        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                          Good thing you never saw the Chevy Chase show!
                          Nobody else did, either... Thank God!
                          sigpic

Comment

carson was my favorite too....but the tonight show did in fact fall behind letterman in the ratings for a long while...that's what made jay even better because even though he lost the audiance, he somehow got them back and kept them....i think that will be the most fascinating thing with conan taking over, how will the ratings respond? i think a lot of older folks don;t care for conan, i personally love the guy and can;t wait but i'm looking forward to the ratings battle too...though letterman might just be too old and rich to care at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Apoc13 View Post
                              carson was my favorite too....but the tonight show did in fact fall behind letterman in the ratings for a long while...that's what made jay even better because even though he lost the audiance, he somehow got them back and kept them....i think that will be the most fascinating thing with conan taking over, how will the ratings respond? i think a lot of older folks don;t care for conan, i personally love the guy and can;t wait but i'm looking forward to the ratings battle too...though letterman might just be too old and rich to care at this point
                              Johnny was taking alot of time off late in his career. He earned it, but it did hurt his ratings.

As far as Conan goes, those shows dont target an "older" audiences. More of the 20 to 40 crowd. And alot of those folks love Conan.
                              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                              X