Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Iron Man 2 Thread!!

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...ron-man-2.html

The first Iron Man blasted Robert Downey Jr. back to stardom, and the superhero franchise is readying to return to the big screen on May 7, 2010. Iron Man will battle new villain Mickey Rourke, size up Scarlett Johansson, and, hopefully, prove that the success of the first movie wasn’t a fluke. Downey knows the movie isn't an underdog this time around. "There are a lot more invisible eyes on us now," he says.

When Marvel Studios first announced the sequel, no one was sure what the movie would be about. Downey, director Jon Favreau, screenwriter Justin Theroux, and the rest of the creative team struck upon the idea of introducing two very different foes for Stark. On one side is Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), a fast-talking weapons manufacturer who fancies himself the next Tony Stark; on the other, Vanko, who, while incarcerated in a Russian prison, creates his own battle-suit, which shoots devastating, whip-like beams. Hammer and Whiplash join forces to take down Downey’s character, Tony Stark. Rourke, for his part, wanted to instill some lightness into the role of the heavy. "I told Favreau, 'I don't want to just play him as a one-dimensional p----,'" he says. "He let me have a cockatoo, who I talk to and get drunk with while I’m making my suit."

Just as the deals were being hammered out, Terrence Howard -- who had played Stark’s best friend -- fell out of the sequel in a public salary dispute. The role was re-cast, with Don Cheadle stepping in. "We had to make some tough deals," says Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige. "When they got public, you go, 'That sucks. Okay, you want a peek behind the curtain? Here you are!'" Says Cheadle, "Terrence and I couldn’t be more different. We address it head-on in the movie in one exchange. We're not trying to fool people." (Cheadle admits he didn’t know much about Marvel’s superhero before the first movie came out: "I always thought Iron Man was a robot.")

Adding more flesh and blood to the new movie, Scarlett Johansson joined the cast as Stark’s mysterious new assistant, Natasha, who has an alter ego of her own, Black Widow. That introduction inevitably sparks romantic tension between Stark and former assistant Pepper Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), who’s been promoted to CEO of Stark Industries. "The men want it to be, like, 'Ooh, the girls are fighting over Tony,' but it's not as standard as that," says Paltrow. "There's a weird male catfight fantasy. Downey agrees. He believes what differentiates the franchise from other superhero series can be summarized as follows: "We're horny. Not, like, can't-bring-your-kids horny, but just…horny."

The question remains whether Iron Man 2 will soar like the first film or show signs of rust when it hits theaters. "People are going to be more critical," says Downey. "That’s their prerogative….In a way, there's no way to win, except to win. Big."

Last edited by jetrazor74; 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Nice

Loved the first

Comment

Awesome article. I learned about the first movie back in the late 90's. I waited almost 10 frickin' years through several delays and director changes for it, and I was happy to not be disappointed, and thrilled that I loved it!!!

Now I can't wait for the next two movies!!

Comment

Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
        Awesome article. I learned about the first movie back in the late 90's. I waited almost 10 frickin' years through several delays and director changes for it, and I was happy to not be disappointed, and thrilled that I loved it!!!

Now I can't wait for the next two movies!!
        The first one was definitely the perfect storm. Lets just hope they dont try to imitate the first one and stick to the formula that works.

Im a little scared of the Johanssen casting (not a big fan of hers) and I think changing actors to Cheadle (even though he is a better actor) might be kind of weird.

Rourke though, has really hit his stride in his career and this could be genius casting (I hope).

I will say im TRYING not to get my hopes up, but it is kind of hard!
        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
          The first one was definitely the perfect storm. Lets just hope they dont try to imitate the first one and stick to the formula that works.

Im a little scared of the Johanssen casting (not a big fan of hers) and I think changing actors to Cheadle (even though he is a better actor) might be kind of weird.

Rourke though, has really hit his stride in his career and this could be genius casting (I hope).

Johanssen=WIN!!!

also Howard is an amazing actor. However, so is Cheadle, which makes this less painful. I hate when they switch actors midway through unless they're taking out god-awful katie holmes and replacing her lol. anyway, Cheadle shouldn't disappoint...

and again, Johanssen=WIN!! so hot...and she can act. woohoo!
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Scarlett is hot enough she could forget all of her lines and just mumble and it still wouldn't take away from the experiance. The thing I loved about the first one is RDJ was pretty much made for the part of iron man because he doesn't even have to act. It's the story of his life minus a technologically advanced suit.

Famous person with a big ego, alcohol problem (or drugs in RDJ case) But I can't think of anyone better suited to play iron man.
            sigpic

Comment

Is it just me or do both of these seem to be at the same place? rourke's picture looks like it's at a race track of some sort.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                Is it just me or do both of these seem to be at the same place? rourke's picture looks like it's at a race track of some sort.
                Hmm I see your point.
                sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Ahhh here follow this link to see the full size.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228705/mediaindex
                  sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Here is a short video on IM2.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2546532889/
                    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Here is the leaked footage from Comic-Com on Iron Man 2. Enjoy!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/08/i..._preview_i.php
                      sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Looks like your guess was right, Frey!
                        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Here is a short video on IM2.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2546532889/
                          Damn... that was gone already!

Here is the leaked footage from Comic-Com on Iron Man 2. Enjoy!

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/08/i..._preview_i.php
                          So is it summer of 2010 yet????

Comment

You know, I love Don Cheadle. The guy is a phenomenal actor, but he's just too small to play Rhoady...

Comment

Circle gets the square!

I liked the first one, and will not doubt like this one.
                              Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X