Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you reading now? / What are your favorite books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books are you reading now? / What are your favorite books?

Howdy everyone. I see alot of movie/TV show/music threads, so I thought I would throw a book on out there too.

Being an avid reader, I have stockpiles of books on hand at all times.

So, on with the show!

What am I reading right now? I found a rather creepy book called "The Secret Society Handbook" on the junk rack at Books-A-Million. It is about, duh, Secret Societies like the Freemasons, The Templars, The Assassins, etc.

All time favorite books? That is tough, but my favorite favorite is The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series.

Beyond that, Fight Club, LotR series, Richard III, MacBeth, and Confessions of a B-Movie Actor.
    Last edited by McSmashie; 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

McSmashie reads books

Post reported

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

I love books.

Right now, I'm reading Kiyo's Story, A Memoir by Kiyo Sato. Parents were Japanese immigrants in 1911, farmed in CA. I'm at the point where they are obeying Executive Order 9066.

Next up is Rough Justice by Jack Higgins.
      Administrator
      sigpic

#LupusAwareness

#TackleCancer - Adopted Bronco: Phillip Lindsay

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

I'm rereading the Harry Potter books. After watching the sucky new movie it has really made me miss the excitement of when a new Harry Potter book would come out
        sigpic

Comment

World War Z

Comment

The Giver is my favorite.

Animal Farm is also brilliant.

Comment

Lately I've been doing a lot more editing than real reading. 7 books takes a long time to edit.

The last book I read for fun was The Road, which quickly became one of my favorites.

All time, though, I would have to go with Homer's Odyssey, Timeline by Michael Crichton, and 1984 by George Orwell.
              sigpic

Supporting McD since 2009.

Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Comment

Reading Lonesome Dove again right now. Just watched the remastered miniseries on AMC a bit ago, and it made me want to read it again.

Books that rank high on my all-time list would include:

The Bible
                LoTR trilogy
                The Drifters - Michenor
                The Biography of Benjamin Franklin
                The Wheel of Time/Dragon Reborn series by Robert Jordan
                Climbing Back
                MacBeth
                Hamlet
                Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                FF is awesome!

Comment

Hey Smash! If you liked Fight Club, then read Survivor by Chuck Pulaniuk(I dont know how to spell his name, but he's the writer of both books).

I recently finished "Wicked", it was great! So I picked up "Son of a Witch" which is part 2 in the trilogy of the Wicked series. I normally can't read the same author in back to back books so I flew through "Got Fight" by Forrest Griffin. That was hilarious... but more geared to the fighters out there.

All time favorites?

In no set order;

Swan Song- Rober McGammon(I know I spelled that wrong)
                  Fight Club
                  Wicked
                  Most of John Irvings books(A Prayer for Owen Meany, Widow For One Year)
                  *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                  *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                  *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

Harry Potter series was amazing, I'm sad everytime I think about them knowing there are no new books on their way

If your at a library anytime soon I would highly reccomend checking these two books out.
                    Looking for Alaska(highly reccomend for highschoolers)
                    The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                      The Giver is my favorite.

Animal Farm is also brilliant.
                      The Giver is a really good book.

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

I pimp these books whenever I get the chance...

George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire".

I would say that if you like LoTR, Wheel of Time, etc. then you should read these (and probably already have), but in reality this fantasy is unlike any fantasy you've ever read and will be (and is) enjoyed by just about everybody regardless of their tastes. Superb stuff. I can't say enough about them. Several fans here on the board already.

HBO is in the process of making the pilot for a series that will encompass the first book, "A Game of Thrones". Peter Dinklage is already casted for a main role (Tyrion), and it was recently announced that Sean Bean (Boromir in LoTR) will play Ned Stark; another main character in the first book.

Seriously, if you have not read these books then you're missing out.

As for right now, I need to finish the last book in the Harry Potter series. I'm a little surprised at how much I've enjoyed them. Next up will be a re-read of Hitchhiker's and Lonesome Dove (thanks Smash & Flatlander for reminding me :salute!: ).

Winter Is Coming!
                        Winter is Coming!

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                          All time favorites?

In no set order;

Swan Song- Rober McGammon(I know I spelled that wrong)
                          Fight Club
                          Wicked
                          Most of John Irvings books(A Prayer for Owen Meany, Widow For One Year)
                          The highlighted are two great ones I should have had on my list. :salute!:

Also forgot The Stand by Steven King.
                          Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                          FF is awesome!

Comment

Anything by Peter Benchley and Stephen King (most recent book I read was King's Danse Macabre). I also enjoyed The DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I've read several biographies of classic horror film actors Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney, Sr.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flatlander Fan View Post
                              The Wheel of Time/Dragon Reborn series by Robert Jordan
                              You know, that series started off so well and then it just turned into fluff. He padded those books out to make a dollar and then died before he could finish them. Now, after his fans waited almost 20 years for the big conclusion, they wont even get to see him write it.

I think he really took advantage of his fans with that series.

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                              Hey Smash! If you liked Fight Club, then read Survivor by Chuck Pulaniuk(I dont know how to spell his name, but he's the writer of both books).
                              Yep, it is on the Amazon Wish List!

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                              I pimp these books whenever I get the chance...

George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire".
                              I started reading the series and then fell out of it. I recently picked up the paperback for the Game of Thrones book and it is in the pile to start reading.

I remember really enjoying the books when I read them. I have no idea why I didnt keep up.
                              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                              X