Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you reading now? / What are your favorite books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80stheman View Post
    Stephen King
    You may laugh at me for saying this, but one of my favorite King books is The Running Man.

Yeh, I know the movie had NOTHING in common with the book, but it is an interesting look into the mind of a desperate man that willings put himself up to die for money.

Pretty scary really.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
      You may laugh at me for saying this, but one of my favorite King books is The Running Man.

Yeh, I know the movie had NOTHING in common with the book, but it is an interesting look into the mind of a desperate man that willings put himself up to die for money.

Pretty scary really.
      That's one of King's I haven't read yet. The movie sucked, but I'll have to read the book. That's the thing with King, most of his books don't transfer to film well, with a some exceptions like The Body (Stand By Me) and The Shawshank Redemption.
      sigpic

Comment

You know, that series started off so well and then it just turned into fluff. He padded those books out to make a dollar and then died before he could finish them. Now, after his fans waited almost 20 years for the big conclusion, they wont even get to see him write it.

I think he really took advantage of his fans with that series.

Yeah, I agree. The early books were very good, but the later ones really bogged down.

I also like the Martin books. Fantasy fiction is my favorite genre.

Pretty scary really.
        The Bachman Books are some of my favorite works by Steven King. The Long Walk and Rage, particularly.

Most of his books that have been made into movies have not made that transition too well. Carrie & Cujo are a couple exceptions, in my opinion.
        Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
        FF is awesome!

Comment

I started reading the series and then fell out of it. I recently picked up the paperback for the Game of Thrones book and it is in the pile to start reading.

I remember really enjoying the books when I read them. I have no idea why I didnt keep up.
          That's understandable. The changing POVs, cast of thousands, etc. can be a little daunting at first. I've found that the 2nd time through was much more enjoyable as I wasn't constantly having to go to the appendix and figure out who was who and where was what castle, etc.

Keep in mind too that the 3rd book alone, "A Storm of Swords", is bigger than all three books of the LoTR put together. That sometimes puts people off too, but IMO it's worth it.

For those that are curious, it reads more like a medieval historical novel rather than your typical fantasy fiction (which has become very bland and copycat over the last several years). Martin has definitely redefined the genre.

Now, if he'll just hurry up and finish the fifth book...
          Winter is Coming!

Comment

That's one of King's I haven't read yet. The movie sucked, but I'll have to read the book. That's the thing with King, most of his books don't transfer to film well, with a some exceptions like The Body (Stand By Me) and The Shawshank Redemption.
            I think most King fans hate it. I didnt though. Maybe Im weird.

I didnt hate the movie, it was very cheese-tastic IMHO.
            sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
              That's understandable. The changing POVs, cast of thousands, etc. can be a little daunting at first. I've found that the 2nd time through was much more enjoyable as I wasn't constantly having to go to the appendix and figure out who was who and where was what castle, etc.

Keep in mind too that the 3rd book alone, "A Storm of Swords", is bigger than all three books of the LoTR put together. That sometimes puts people off too, but IMO it's worth it.

For those that are curious, it reads more like a medieval historical novel rather than your typical fantasy fiction (which has become very bland and copycat over the last several years). Martin has definitely redefined the genre.

Now, if he'll just hurry up and finish the fifth book...
              Way, way, way back in the day, I had 1st/1st English hardcover of AGOT. I sold it on eBay though. Wish I hadnt!

Yeh, I remember the constantly gaining POVs. And major characters getting killed constantly. While realist, it sort of dashes the readers hopes.

That might have been why I never picked up the 4th book. I had fallen so far behind that I would have had to re-read to get caught back up.
              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Those two did make the transition well, I agree. I just recently had my boys watch the "barfarama" scene from Stand By Me. It's truly one of the great scenes in all movie-dom. The leech scene is just plain disturbing...
                FF is awesome!

Comment

OK, thinking sci-fi now:

Ender's Game (follow up books were ok, but Ender's Game is a classic)

The Gap series by Steven R. Donaldson

All of Dan Simmons' books - except maybe Terror. He's a Wabash grad like me, and sprinkles in little tidbits and references to the school that only Wabash alumni would get.
                  FF is awesome!

Comment

Yep, it is on the Amazon Wish List!

Enjoy!!! :salute!:
                    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

How the hell could I forget?!?!?

Atlas Shrugged!!!!!!

Big book... but I enjoyed it.

Comment

Ahhh a commercial for the mediocre movie reminded me.

Watchmen.

If you havent read the book (even if you dont like graphic novels), it is one to read.

Ive read it many many many times and I still find new parts to the story I missed everytime.
                        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Watchmen.

Wait... wasn't that one supposed to be called "DongWatch"?

If you go to imdb.com Dr. Manhatten's "little friend" has a credit for the role.

Comment

Books?

On summer vacation?

Yeah... good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              Books?

On summer vacation?

Yeah... good one.
                              Summer vacation?

Yeah... good one.
                              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by ebsoria View Post
                                Wait... wasn't that one supposed to be called "DongWatch"?

If you go to imdb.com Dr. Manhatten's "little friend" has a credit for the role.
                                Uh oh, Eb's masculinity is threaten by a CGI member!

There are very nice boobies in the movie too sir.
                                sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                                X