Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books are you reading now? / What are your favorite books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read newspapers and magazines but not enough books.......so I'm starting up again with an oldie but goodie.....The Catcher in The Rye.....(Is this a baseball story about an alcoholic player???? or maybe a sandwich of some sort????)

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
      Summer vacation?

Yeah... good one.
      LMAO

Seriously, I lol'd when I read the word 'books'.

God it's going to suck going back to school...

Comment

The last book I read was I am Legend
        sigpic

Comment

Favorite books,

LOTR Trilogy
          The Silmarillion
          Gates of Fire
          The Winter King, Enemy of God, Excalibur
          The Legend of Bagger Vance
          Braveheart
          A Song of Ice and Fire

Harry Potter

WHAT???!!?!?
          A book I wrote

Comment

I'm more of a non-fiction guy, recently I read "The Jordan Rules" which is about Jordan's first title in 1990 and all the fighting and bickering that happened along the way, really gives you an uncensored look at guys like Jordan, Pippen, Phil Jackson etc... it actually makes you look at them more as humans and less as superstars.

"Loose Balls" is about the history of the ABA, fantastic book for anybody remotely interested in the topic.

"Strokes of Genius" is about the 2008 Wimbledon match between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, it also acts like a spark notes biography for each and looks at some general topics like betting in tennis and the health of the sport in order to give the reader breaks in the action.

Reading "Americas Game" right now which follows the history of pro football all the way from the beginning and stops in the modern age.

I also recommend "Education of a Coach" which is a biography of Bill Belichick. Really gives you a insight into his life and showcases the ups and downs of his career. Bronco fans should pay particular attention to his tenure in Cleveland, it may be history repeating its self.

I'm also enjoying the NYtimes on my Kindle, never been a fan of newspapers–I know, seems strange for someone planning to major in journalism–but it was never due to the content, but the feel of the paper on my hands and the mess of folding and unfolding pieces. The Kindle fixes all that by delivering the times to my device first thing in the morning and including all the sections in a easy to navigate format. It costs 14 bucks a month, but thats inline with the cost of the physical addition so I'm not complaining.
            MJA
            Bench Warmer
            Last edited by MJA; 07-21-2009, 11:21 PM.
            http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=30412676
            MMO Football Game

I like McDaniels, he will be a good coach. Just not for this team. Belichick needed his Cleveland stint to become the coach he is now and McDaniels is showing the same signs.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
              Yes you are VD.......

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                The Giver is a really good book.
                Yeah i'm gonna need to read it again, it's been so long.

I have so many books that I want to read. 1984, A Clockwork Orange, Misery, and i've yet to finish my John Lennon biography that I got for Christmas.

I love dystopian novels if you couldn't tell.

Comment

Originally posted by MJA View Post
                  I'm more of a non-fiction guy, recently I read "The Jordan Rules" which is about Jordan's first title in 1990 and all the fighting and bickering that happened along the way, really gives you an uncensored look at guys like Jordan, Pippen, Phil Jackson etc... it actually makes you look at them more as humans and less as superstars.

"Loose Balls" is about the history of the ABA, fantastic book for anybody remotely interested in the topic.

"Strokes of Genius" is about the 2008 Wimbledon match between Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, it also acts like a spark notes biography for each and looks at some general topics like betting in tennis and the health of the sport in order to give the reader breaks in the action.

Reading "Americas Game" right now which follows the history of pro football all the way from the beginning and stops in the modern age.

I also recommend "Education of a Coach" which is a biography of Bill Belichick. Really gives you a insight into his life and showcases the ups and downs of his career. Bronco fans should pay particular attention to his tenure in Cleveland, it may be history repeating its self.

I'm also enjoying the NYtimes on my Kindle, never been a fan of newspapers–I know, seems strange for someone planning to major in journalism–but it was never due to the content, but the feel of the paper on my hands and the mess of folding and unfolding pieces. The Kindle fixes all that by delivering the times to my device first thing in the morning and including all the sections in a easy to navigate format. It costs 14 bucks a month, but thats inline with the cost of the physical addition so I'm not complaining.
                  I love biography typed books too. If I have a choice more often than not i'd choose a biography of a person I admire, or even a history book over any fiction unless it's dark and has some correlation with society.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                    LMAO

Some people like reading books for fun. Its like TV in your head.

------

One of my favorite books is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Its a book set during World War II and follows the life a German girl named Liesel Meminger. One of the coolest things about it is that its told from Death's point of view, which sounds kinda weird I know, but actually adds a really cool feeling to it.
                    sigpic

Comment

Just finished "Reading the Enemy's Mind". It's about the Army/CIA's remote viewing . America's psychic espionage program.
                      Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
                        Yeah i'm gonna need to read it again, it's been so long.

I have so many books that I want to read. 1984, A Clockwork Orange, Misery, and i've yet to finish my John Lennon biography that I got for Christmas.

I love dystopian novels if you couldn't tell.
                        You love dystopian fiction yet you haven't read 1984?

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                          Yes you are VD.......
                          Yeah, I try...well not really, thats how cool I am
                          sigpic

Comment

Glenn Beck's Common Sense. GREAT BOOK. It hammers the right just as much as it does the left.
                            Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              LMAO

Tis ok. I LoL'd when I read the words "Summer Vacation."

Ill gladly change going to college for you for you going to work for me.
                              McSmashie
                              Shamrocks and Shenanigans
                              Last edited by McSmashie; 07-22-2009, 09:56 PM.
                              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
                                Wait, you havent read the biography of you that is out?

sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Working...
                                X