District 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• District 9

Wow this movie is amazing. One of the best movies ive seen. So im suggesting for everyone to see it. And if you have tell me how u felt about it.
    sigpic

Originally posted by jaycuthroat View Post
    Wow this movie is amazing. One of the best movies ive seen. So im suggesting for everyone to see it. And if you have tell me how u felt about it.
    amazing...yep

some parts reminded me of starship troopers without the campiness

i was very impressed
    sigpic

Comment

i totally DISAGREE

me and my friend went to see this movie last night and it was horrible. now with that being said was it the worst thing i've ever seen ? No that would be Cloverfield (hated that Dumbass movie) this story was original and different from everyother alien movie so in that regard i liked it but it still wasn't my cup of tea ... it was good for a one time see but that's about it there were some funny parts in it

my favorite part was when the alien told him how long it would take to help him (i think you should know what i'm talking about without giving anything away)

Comment

I thought this movie also had some humor in it to. I laughed when he was yellin at the little alien calling him f*cker lol.
        sigpic

Comment

:thumb::thumb:

Awesome movie.
          sigpic

Supporting McD since 2009.

Adopted Bronco....Daniel Graham!

Adopted by Chillez! :salute!:

Comment

theres rumors that this was this guy's test movie to see if he can handle the halo movie.

was gonna go see it friday but havent gotten around to it
            Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by armedequation View Post
              theres rumors that this was this guy's test movie to see if he can handle the halo movie.

was gonna go see it friday but havent gotten around to it
              Nope, actually it was the movie Peter Jackson had him do once the Halo movie fell through.

The director was who Jackson had picked the shoot the Halo movie and the studio pulled the plug over that.

So Jackson gave him $30 mill to make whatever he wanted.

Ok, my review, if you went into this looking for a prototypical alien movie, you are sure to be disappointed. This is a human rights (well alien rights by extension) movie.

It is about how we look down and hurt those that we feel are "beneath" us.

It just happens to be about aliens.

I think it is a great movie. I would definitely do a little research on Apartheid before seeing it (a base understanding would go a long way to getting the movie).
              sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                Nope, actually it was the movie Peter Jackson had him do once the Halo movie fell through.

The director was who Jackson had picked the shoot the Halo movie and the studio pulled the plug over that.

So Jackson gave him $30 mill to make whatever he wanted.

Ok, my review, if you went into this looking for a prototypical alien movie, you are sure to be disappointed. This is a human rights (well alien rights by extension) movie.

It is about how we look down and hurt those that we feel are "beneath" us.

It just happens to be about aliens.

I think it is a great movie. I would definitely do a little research on Apartheid before seeing it (a base understanding would go a long way to getting the movie).
                pretty much spot on Mc. and the ironic thing was that the Prawns were probably far above us if anything. I mean you can't have the technology to travel across the stars and be a simple creature.

as for other comments on this thread, there were definitely some humorous parts. that guy had a mouth and a half on him. and i thought it was funny that the aliens swore a lot too...lol. like when he shoots that guy in M.N.U. and the alien (Christopher...also funny how they all had names) gets hella surprised and yells the f-word and is like: "i thought you said we weren't going to kill them?!" "yeah well, he shot at me!" hahahaha

as for the one so far that didn't like this movie.... i think you missed the entire point of the movie, which McSmashie does well at explaining. also Cloverfield was a good movie...but we won't get into why i thought that... well i wouldn't say good but i always laugh in people's faces when they say it was horse-manure because i know they were part of the crowd that fell for the marketing and hyped it up a thousand fold in their minds...and yeah, you'll get disappointed every time you do that.
                sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I'm hurt and feel you're talking down to me telling me I should research Apartheid. jk Mcprofessor. So the movie is a social commentary on the evils of species prejudice ?
                  Those Indians could prove troublesome...General George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Wade View Post
                    I'm hurt and feel you're talking down to me telling me I should research Apartheid. jk Mcprofessor. So the movie is a social commentary on the evils of species prejudice ?
                    Im just saying that there are alot of younger posters here that may not have been around during Apartheid. I havent the fogiest idea if they teach that in schools or not, so you may miss out on the underlaying message of the movie if you dont have at least the most basic understanding of Apartheid and South Africa. Thats all.

It is about prejudice and the dehumanization of those that we feel arent "as good" as us.

I think RB brought this up, but the aliens in the film are vastly more advanced than humans, but they are treated as basically slum garbage by the people of South Africa.

It is also about what deprevation will do to even the most advanced and intelligence beings.
                    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

It is also about what deprevation will do to even the most advanced and intelligence beings.
                      this is another huge point in the movie. the prawns may have been far more advanced than us, but because of their living situation they were reduced to their basic natural instincts, just as we would be in captivity, such as P.O.W. camp or a concentration camp (which they also talk about).

so it stands to reason that even a race that can make such advanced weaponry and technology would be reduced to instinctive, animal-like qualities.
                      sigpic

Comment

I want to see this movie so bad but I haven't had time to watch any movies or anything because of all this college crap I've been dealing with.

Comment

Im just saying that there are alot of younger posters here that may not have been around during Apartheid. I havent the fogiest idea if they teach that in schools or not, so you may miss out on the underlaying message of the movie if you dont have at least the most basic understanding of Apartheid and South Africa. Thats all.
                          Just so you know, they do not teach that in schools. At least, I don't ever remember learning anything about it so far

And since I want to see this movie, I will go look up Apartheid right now. Thanks Smash
                          sigpic

Comment

yeah they never really touched on it when i was in school that i can remember...

that's why you always have to take it upon yourself to learn far more than your school will teach you...which is nil.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                              yeah they never really touched on it when i was in school that i can remember...

that's why you always have to take it upon yourself to learn far more than your school will teach you...which is nil.
                              As someone in a school environment (Assistant Principal), I find it funny (not ha ha) that we skip over teaching some of the horrible times in history when there have been atrocities against others especially the treatment of Native Americans, and the issues like those in South Africa.

It creates a lot of misunderstanding, and we try to paint this perfect world for our youth, but once they get there, they see the hate, people who don't agree with their opinions, and even worse discrimination. Education is supposed to educate from all perspectives, but too many people get involved morally on what should be taught and create all these HAPPY little worlds that we teach about for the most part. Now sure we teach about war, and the evils of Hitler with the murder of millions of Jewish citizens, but we have a wee chapter that may talk about a massacre of Native Americans.

I find that District 9 was a good film and it hints at everything mentioned above. Definately a background in what South Africa was previously would be provide the viewer with more perspective.

Good Post
                              sigpic
                              The Bronco fan pledge;
                              I am a Broncos Fan and I believe
                              I believe in Mile High Magic and bleed Orange and Blue.
                              I celebrate the Orange Crush, The Drive, and the Mile High Salute.
                              I create the THUNDER, share the common dream, and will forever be a proud citizen of
                              Bronco's Country.

Adopt a Poster AZ Snake Fan & SecondsAway131

Comment

Working...
                              X