Hell's Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell's Kitchen

firstly, i cannot stand reality shows. however, these days if you want to watch t.v. you pretty much have a choice between that and CSI: Tahiti or one of the dozens of others in that same series, or other cop/medical dramas that are all cookie cut outs (much like reality shows)

with that said, Hell's Kitchen is kind of interesting. Chef Ramsey is interesting to watch. the funny thing is, he's actually a nice guy. at the same time he is very temperamental. weird.

another very unnecessary thing about reality shows is the stupid climactic commercial breaks. sure they feel the need to fill their full hour, blah blah blah... but most of the time you know exactly what the verdict is going to be and it's pointless.

anyway, the thing i notice about Hell's Kitchen is that the kitchen is right out there in front for the guests to see what's going on, of course they'd set it up this way because the guests are only coming there so they can be involved in a reality show.

because of that, why do the guests feel they deserve to complain about the service? they know it's a t.v. show, they know the people preparing their food are in a competition and will probably rush the service, thus making huge mistakes to slow everything down. so i don't think the guests really have room to complain. at the same time they probably realize this, but you can't have a reality show without some scripted drama, so i chalk this up to the producers going: "hey, we're going to film you, act like you're upset about the service" but we all know they didn't pay for their meal at all.

the other thing is, we also know that they must have an actual professional chef staff on site to keep the actual service of the restaurant up, otherwise every single service would be a disaster.

also, the fact that the kitchen is so close to the dining area, i would presume the guests can hear a large amount of what happens in the kitchen, especially since they tend to yell just about everything. which means they can hear all of the contestants swearing, and even more interesting, they can hear Chef Ramsey and his vulgar mouth...

this too has got to be expected from the guests, because this is definitely not even close to good customer service in the real world, not in a restaurant, not in any place that is supposed to be so high class as Hell's Kitchen. heck it's not even acceptable at Wendy's...

so why would Chef get after them for cussing in front of customers (as i saw him do in one episode)? he's the worst of all of them lol.

obviously mostly because it makes for "good" t.v. and i'm betting the guests know exactly what they're coming in to when they walk through the doors because let's face it, they all want to be there because of the show. not to mention other guests that are probably purposefully invited just to get the occasional celebrity cameo.

anyway, it's still intriguing, it has all the elements of your reality show, the annoying yitch the person you root for the person you're glad is gone, and yadda yadda yadda.

what are your thoughts guys?
    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I love Hells Kitchen. I watch it every week.
    sigpic

Comment

I thought I was the only one. I love this show. I got into it origionally because I love cooking, and seeing some of the stuff these people come up with when they can is amazing.

But, Ive grown to love it more because Ramsey is just too hilarious. Every time he kicks that trash can in disgust just makes me laugh.

Im real glad Suzanne finally got kicked out tonight. Not certain how she made it to the finals at all.
      sigpic

I think Ben Tate will be the best back taken in the 2010 draft. (5/3/10)
      SportsXPicks, check out the Rants and Opinions section

Comment

Originally posted by draco193 View Post
        I thought I was the only one. I love this show. I got into it origionally because I love cooking, and seeing some of the stuff these people come up with when they can is amazing.

But, Ive grown to love it more because Ramsey is just too hilarious. Every time he kicks that trash can in disgust just makes me laugh.

Im real glad Suzanne finally got kicked out tonight. Not certain how she made it to the finals at all.
        i think there are two reasons i'm interested in this show:

1. Ramsey.

2. Food.

but yeah... Suzanne was up herself pretty big time. Plus she was fugly... that has to factor in someplace.

it's funny how they all smoke and yet they are the ones touching all the food that's supposed to be like 5 Star Restaurant quality.

i'm kind of rooting for cast-guy...with the beanie. dunno why. i came in too late.

it's too bad the really big guy had health problems, he was an awesome leader/chef.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
          but yeah... Suzanne was up herself pretty big time. Plus she was fugly... that has to factor in someplace.
          Definitley. Especially on the inside. I thought she should have been gone last week (I think it was ast week), when she refused to send food out of the pass because she didnt want to take the blame for it.

it's funny how they all smoke and yet they are the ones touching all the food that's supposed to be like 5 Star Restaurant quality.
          Definitley kind of disturbing, I really wonder how many top type chefs chain smoke like they do.

i'm kind of rooting for cast-guy...with the beanie. dunno why. i came in too late.
          Me too. Ive liked Dave the whole time. Hes been solid even with only one hand.

it's too bad the really big guy had health problems, he was an awesome leader/chef.
          I really liked Robert's fire when he came back on the show. Really happy he had gotten another chance to get at it. But, Im also kind of glad he didnt make it to the end, only to have this happen if he had won. What a crushing blow that would have been.
          sigpic

Comment

Definitley. Especially on the inside. I thought she should have been gone last week (I think it was ast week), when she refused to send food out of the pass because she didnt want to take the blame for it.

Definitley kind of disturbing, I really wonder how many top type chefs chain smoke like they do.

Me too. Ive liked Dave the whole time. Hes been solid even with only one hand.

I really liked Robert's fire when he came back on the show. Really happy he had gotten another chance to get at it. But, Im also kind of glad he didnt make it to the end, only to have this happen if he had won. What a crushing blow that would have been.
            yeah she should have been out the door last week because she basically never owned up to anything. what was that crap about saying her service was beautiful tonight? lol she was just as bad as everyone else.

and i never got the full story on Robert's situation...i hadn't gotten that into the season yet. so he made it back? what happened after that? and why wouldn't he have been a good fit to win?

also Tennille needs to go. can she ever just speak without yelling?
            sigpic

Comment

Robert had health problems, but they let him come back, and he lasted untill about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but had a bad service, and got the axe. He was still better then some of the others who outlasted him.

Kevin the baldy has been the best and steadiest so far, it would take an upset to beat him.

Dave has been impressive with one hand, but it looks like next week that hand is finally gonna do him in. What was up with him not even being able to TALK and explain to the Bon Apetit people about his signature dish??? Embassing!

Yeah the way Ramsey had Suxanne out there in the dinning room, cussing and humiliating her in front of everybody was awesome!!!

You would think that by now since they are down to the final 5 they would be able to make it completely through a service without so many problems, but they are getting worse in some ways! Sending out RAW FISH, and cannot even make a simple Rissoto???
              sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
                yeah she should have been out the door last week because she basically never owned up to anything. what was that crap about saying her service was beautiful tonight? lol she was just as bad as everyone else.
                She always was full of herself, moreso than any of the others.

One thing I noticed is that when both Van, Sabrina, and several others, Chef has told them they were good Chefs and they would get themselves figured out, and get better.

Suzanne, he just told her to hand over the jacket. Not an encouraging word.

and i never got the full story on Robert's situation...i hadn't gotten that into the season yet. so he made it back? what happened after that? and why wouldn't he have been a good fit to win?
                He was on the show last season as well, but, had to leave for the medical reasons. I think he can do it, hes a good chef. Im just not certain he could physically handle the position. And I would feel really bad for him if he had won, and then had to give up the dream job because of the health stuff.

also Tennille needs to go. can she ever just speak without yelling?
                Nope. She was really bad early on, but, some other people's performances bailed her out. No way she wins.
                Last edited by draco193; 09-30-2009, 08:57 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axemaster View Post
                  Robert had health problems, but they let him come back, and he lasted untill about 3 or 4 weeks ago, but had a bad service, and got the axe. He was still better then some of the others who outlasted him.
                  Andy for instance. Guy was just horrible.

Kevin the baldy has been the best and steadiest so far, it would take an upset to beat him.
                  Ill agree. Him and Ariel have been the steadiest so far, both though lately have had some issues. Dont know what thats about.

Dave has been impressive with one hand, but it looks like next week that hand is finally gonna do him in. What was up with him not even being able to TALK and explain to the Bon Apetit people about his signature dish??? Embassing!
                  Im hoping he gets to stay until he actually has a poor service. The guy is a team player, and has been darn good with only one hand.

If one thing holds him back from winning it, it will be his inability to speak, and his image. But, the image might go over better north of the border. Especially in a resort type town like Whistler

You would think that by now since they are down to the final 5 they would be able to make it completely through a service without so many problems, but they are getting worse in some ways! Sending out RAW FISH, and cannot even make a simple Rissoto???
                  Lot of pressure on them. Last year I dont remember them being this disorganized though. There were still screw ups, but, these guys have seemed just lost the past couple of services. As Ramsey says "Wake the @!*&@& up!"
                  sigpic

Comment

First off, hilarious with the kids feeding them vegetarian food.

Glad tenille is gone. No more of her yelling all of the time.

Dave is in some trouble. That arm isnt getting any better it seems. Im hoping though he can get to the finals, but, it looks like it might be too much.

Good that the finalists got to see their families. Im certain that has to have been hard for them, goign for a long time without getting to see them. Very excited to see what happens next week when each person gets their turn to run the pass.
                    sigpic

Comment

First off, hilarious with the kids feeding them vegetarian food.

Glad tenille is gone. No more of her yelling all of the time.

Dave is in some trouble. That arm isnt getting any better it seems. Im hoping though he can get to the finals, but, it looks like it might be too much.

Good that the finalists got to see their families. Im certain that has to have been hard for them, goign for a long time without getting to see them. Very excited to see what happens next week when each person gets their turn to run the pass.
                      good no more annoying people left. i missed it to night though... only caught like the first few minutes.
                      sigpic

Comment

Kevin the Baldy still has yet to have a bad service, never has been put up yet either has he? Bad thing is he is FULL of himself ! Could be his undoing.

Dave is probably getting axed next week, which is too bad cause he is as good as anyone. Ramsey almost axed him last night anyway!
                        sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Kevin the Baldy still has yet to have a bad service, never has been put up yet either has he? Bad thing is he is FULL of himself ! Could be his undoing.

Dave is probably getting axed next week, which is too bad cause he is as good as anyone. Ramsey almost axed him last night anyway!
                          it was Kevin's fault the rice was overcooked.

*edit*
                          Last edited by RealBronco; 10-14-2009, 10:55 PM. Reason: just realized i said the wrong person.
                          sigpic

Comment

Well he gave it to Dave, he earned it. I thought Kevein had it sewn up though. He is the most technically savy chef they have EVER had on this show, some of those dishes last night were unbelieveable!!!
                            sigpicoh YEAH?

Comment

Well he gave it to Dave, he earned it. I thought Kevein had it sewn up though. He is the most technically savy chef they have EVER had on this show, some of those dishes last night were unbelieveable!!!
                              Kevin's menu was amazingly beautiful. I agree, he is the best pure chef theyve ever had. And these are some pretty talented chefs.

I just think Dave's will to win pushed him over the top. Fighting through that wrist injury endeared him. In all honesty, any of the final three probably would have been a good choice. All very good technical chefs, all good teammates and leaders.

But, Im pretty happy Dave won it. And Im certain Kevin will probably be getting some offers to work someplace other than the country club here soon.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X