Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Question About 720p Television & 1080p Blu-Ray/Upconverter. Will give CP

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tech Question About 720p Television & 1080p Blu-Ray/Upconverter. Will give CP

    Alright, here's my dilemma.

    I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with an HDMI port. I've been thinking about getting a a) Blu-Ray player that also upconverts standard DVDs or b) Upconverting DVD player.

    My problem is that both of those players upconvert to 1080p, but obviously my television doesn't support 1080p. It only supports 720p, and possible 1080i

    Will it harm my television if I upconvert to an unsupported format?

    In addition, I read somewhere that the DVD/Blu-Ray would upconvert, but then the television would downconvert to get it back to 720, and that would ultimately reduce the picture quality more than a standard progressives-scan DVD player. Is there any truth to that?

    I'm getting all of my Black Friday research done. I'm planning to hit the stores as soon as they open to get whatever I can at good prices. Good luck to anybody else who is going out there in the Black Friday warzones :salute!:

    And thanks for any help. I will reward with CP. :go:


    sigpic


    FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



    :cool:

  • #2
    Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
    Alright, here's my dilemma.

    I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with an HDMI port. I've been thinking about getting a a) Blu-Ray player that also upconverts standard DVDs or b) Upconverting DVD player.

    My problem is that both of those players upconvert to 1080p, but obviously my television doesn't support 1080p. It only supports 720p, and possible 1080i

    Will it harm my television if I upconvert to an unsupported format?

    In addition, I read somewhere that the DVD/Blu-Ray would upconvert, but then the television would downconvert to get it back to 720, and that would ultimately reduce the picture quality more than a standard progressives-scan DVD player. Is there any truth to that?

    I'm getting all of my Black Friday research done. I'm planning to hit the stores as soon as they open to get whatever I can at good prices. Good luck to anybody else who is going out there in the Black Friday warzones :salute!:

    And thanks for any help. I will reward with CP. :go:
    Im really not sure. I was doing my research last year too, but forgot it all.
    But, we have a blue ray on a regular ass 480p TV and the picture is a little better than a DVD player. Not sure how itll be on a 720p Hdtv though.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
      Im really not sure. I was doing my research last year too, but forgot it all.
      But, we have a blue ray on a regular ass 480p TV and the picture is a little better than a DVD player. Not sure how itll be on a 720p Hdtv though.
      That's okay. Thanks for the effort.

      Is there anybody who knows all about HDTV's and this kind of stuff?


      sigpic


      FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



      :cool:

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
        Alright, here's my dilemma.

        I have a 720p Sharp Aquos with an HDMI port. I've been thinking about getting a a) Blu-Ray player that also upconverts standard DVDs or b) Upconverting DVD player.

        My problem is that both of those players upconvert to 1080p, but obviously my television doesn't support 1080p. It only supports 720p, and possible 1080i

        Will it harm my television if I upconvert to an unsupported format?

        In addition, I read somewhere that the DVD/Blu-Ray would upconvert, but then the television would downconvert to get it back to 720, and that would ultimately reduce the picture quality more than a standard progressives-scan DVD player. Is there any truth to that?

        I'm getting all of my Black Friday research done. I'm planning to hit the stores as soon as they open to get whatever I can at good prices. Good luck to anybody else who is going out there in the Black Friday warzones :salute!:

        And thanks for any help. I will reward with CP. :go:
        To my knowledge, it isnt going to "harm" your TV. You just wont get the resolution. Lemme check with my techie buddy and get back to you.
        sigpic

        I adopt andrewmlb.

        Comment


        • #5
          It won't harm your TV. I would go with the Blue-Ray player. It'll still maximize the picture quality of standard definition DVD's and send the 720p signal to the TV.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
            It won't harm your TV. I would go with the Blue-Ray player. It'll still maximize the picture quality of standard definition DVD's and send the 720p signal to the TV.
            What he said. There's no way that this device will harm your T.V. You will just receive a lower quality feed then while using a 1080i T.V. 720P with a blue ray will still look great. And they say to the naked Eye 720P and 1080i are pretty similar.
            sigpic
            2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

            Comment


            • #7
              Ok, yes they should work together, you just wont have the 1080i picture quality.
              sigpic

              I adopt andrewmlb.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by // / yardo View Post
                It won't harm your TV. I would go with the Blue-Ray player. It'll still maximize the picture quality of standard definition DVD's and send the 720p signal to the TV.
                So there's no truth to the "ultimately you will get a worse picture quality because the blu-ray will upconvert to 1080p, then the TV will downconvert to 720p and you will have a worse picture quality than with a standard DVD"???

                Wal Mart has a $78 Magnavox blu-ray player for Black Friday in case any of you are interested.


                sigpic


                FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                :cool:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                  So there's no truth to the "ultimately you will get a worse picture quality because the blu-ray will upconvert to 1080p, then the TV will downconvert to 720p and you will have a worse picture quality than with a standard DVD"???

                  Wal Mart has a $78 Magnavox blu-ray player for Black Friday in case any of you are interested.
                  No there is no truth to that what so ever. Who ever told you that either didn't know what they were talking about or just wanted to sell you a new T.V. you will get 720 Picture from it. Just make sure it has RGB connectors and not just HDMI.
                  sigpic
                  2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                    No there is no truth to that what so ever. Who ever told you that either didn't know what they were talking about or just wanted to sell you a new T.V. you will get 720 Picture from it. Just make sure it has RGB connectors and not just HDMI.
                    I can still use the HDMI right? I just won't get the 1080p picture quality, but I need to use the HDMI to get it upscaled to 720?

                    So would you recommend just going for an upscaling DVD player? The only reason I was gonna get Blu-Ray was because it was kinda a 2-for-1 thing with the Blu-Ray player and the DVD upconverter, but a regular DVD upconverter is so much cheaper.


                    sigpic


                    FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                    :cool:

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                      I can still use the HDMI right? I just won't get the 1080p picture quality, but I need to use the HDMI to get it upscaled to 720?

                      So would you recommend just going for an upscaling DVD player? The only reason I was gonna get Blu-Ray was because it was kinda a 2-for-1 thing with the Blu-Ray player and the DVD upconverter, but a regular DVD upconverter is so much cheaper.
                      Before I answer your question. What brand is the Blue Ray player? If it's a good quality that's going to last you a while. I'd go for that. Just remember Blue Ray Movies cost twice as much too. And the RGB connectors are actually 720P. And will work fine
                      sigpic
                      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
                        So there's no truth to the "ultimately you will get a worse picture quality because the blu-ray will upconvert to 1080p, then the TV will downconvert to 720p and you will have a worse picture quality than with a standard DVD"???

                        Wal Mart has a $78 Magnavox blu-ray player for Black Friday in case any of you are interested.
                        I don't know that there's any truth to that. The Blue-Ray player is going to send the highest resolution that the TV can support or that you, the user, specifies. Whether it down converts a 1080 signal to 720p it's still a higher resolution than standard either way you look at it. It's going to maximize the available picture quality that is able to be displayed.

                        This article is a little old but there's a lot of good information. You'll definitely benefit more from purchasing a Blue-Ray player especially if you ever do purchase a large screen 1080p television.

                        http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6859904-1.html
                        Last edited by // / yardo; 11-25-2009, 02:34 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                          Before I answer your question. What brand is the Blue Ray player? If it's a good quality that's going to last you a while. I'd go for that. Just remember Blue Ray Movies cost twice as much too. And the RGB connectors are actually 720P. And will work fine
                          What he said. I wouldn't buy a throw-away Blu-Ray player just for the sake of it being cheap.
                          Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                            Before I answer your question. What brand is the Blue Ray player? If it's a good quality that's going to last you a while. I'd go for that. Just remember Blue Ray Movies cost twice as much too. And the RGB connectors are actually 720P. And will work fine
                            An $80 Magnavox Blu-Ray player special on Black Friday. Supposedly its $150 if I were to buy it today.

                            Is Magnavox any good in terms of Blu-Ray players?

                            Last question, to anybody, is there any noticeable difference between a Blu-Ray player upconverting a standard DVD and an Upconversion DVD player upconverting a standard DVD?

                            Or do they look alike? I read in that article by Yardo and pretty much it says the Upconverting DVD player's upconversion is worse than a Blu-Ray upconversion. True?


                            sigpic


                            FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor



                            :cool:

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X