Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking About Buying a PS3

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thinking About Buying a PS3

    First let me say that I love my 360, but I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I've had my 360 for two and a half years now, and it finally got the dreaded RROD.

    I'm going to college next year and half of my movies are blu ray anyway, so the switch is starting to make more sense. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me out with a few things:

    1. Is the online on par with Xbox Live? I know its free which is great, but are there any obvious drawbacks to it?

    2. What set up should I get, is the extra memory worth the extra fifty bucks?

    3. What are the best exclusives for the PS3? I loved the Ratchet and Clank series on the PS2...are the new ones as good as the original?

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance:go:

  • #2
    Originally posted by Den615 View Post
    First let me say that I love my 360, but I've been thinking about this for awhile now. I've had my 360 for two and a half years now, and it finally got the dreaded RROD.

    I'm going to college next year and half of my movies are blu ray anyway, so the switch is starting to make more sense. Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me out with a few things:

    1. Is the online on par with Xbox Live? I know its free which is great, but are there any obvious drawbacks to it?

    2. What set up should I get, is the extra memory worth the extra fifty bucks?

    3. What are the best exclusives for the PS3? I loved the Ratchet and Clank series on the PS2...are the new ones as good as the original?

    Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance:go:
    1. It is. The only flaws are that there are less people with mic's and there is no party system... and if you don't have any personal friends on PSN, it may feel lonely.

    2.PS3 Slim 80GB is good enough.

    3. Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, Final Fantasy XII Versus, Ratchet and Clank, MAG, Metal Gear Solid 4, and inFamous are some I can name right now.

    The reviews say the new Ratchet and Clank on the PS3 are the best in the series.

    It is for a FACT PS3 has MORE exclusives (and high quality) ones than the 360.
    Seriously what's worth it on the 360? Forza, Halo and Gears?
    Last edited by BroncoBrandon; 01-06-2010, 03:39 PM.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Get a PS1 or PSX.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BroncoBrandon View Post
        1. It is. The only flaws are that there are less people with mic's and there is no party system... and if you don't have any personal friends on PSN, it may feel lonely.

        2.PS3 Slim 80GB is good enough.

        3. Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Demon's Souls, Gran Turismo, Killzone 2, Heavy Rain, Heavenly Sword, Final Fantasy XII Versus, Ratchet and Clank, MAG, Metal Gear Solid 4, and inFamous are some I can name right now.

        The reviews say the new Ratchet and Clank on the PS3 are the best in the series.

        It is for a FACT PS3 has MORE exclusives (and high quality) ones than the 360.
        Seriously what's worth it on the 360? Forza, Halo and Gears?
        Thanks for the help, I am going to try and see if Microsoft can repair my 360. I mean I have so much stuff for it, it would be a huge waste just to get rid of it all...

        As for the games I think both have their share of great exclusives (I've played all the Gran Turismo's and I think Forza has bypassed it on almost every level). The thing I like most about the PS3 is that it doesn't have any huge problems like the RROD for the 360. Sony is just a great company IMO. My sister needed something to watch movies on over New Years, I fired up the ol' PS2 and it worked perfectly after sitting for almost 3 years.

        Like I said, I'm gonna try to get the 360 repaired...but I think a PS3 will be a great investment

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Den615 View Post
          Thanks for the help, I am going to try and see if Microsoft can repair my 360. I mean I have so much stuff for it, it would be a huge waste just to get rid of it all...

          As for the games I think both have their share of great exclusives (I've played all the Gran Turismo's and I think Forza has bypassed it on almost every level). The thing I like most about the PS3 is that it doesn't have any huge problems like the RROD for the 360. Sony is just a great company IMO. My sister needed something to watch movies on over New Years, I fired up the ol' PS2 and it worked perfectly after sitting for almost 3 years.

          Like I said, I'm gonna try to get the 360 repaired...but I think a PS3 will be a great investment
          Whatever floats your boat man.

          If you can get that 360 fixed for free and you still care about that system, you should still opt to fix it then.
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BroncoBrandon View Post
            Whatever floats your boat man.

            If you can get that 360 fixed for free and you still care about that system, you should still opt to fix it then.
            I have a lot invested in it...lol
            -About 10 games
            -Wireless Racing Wheel
            -Beatles Rockband (Special edition with guitar, drums, mic, etc...)

            Nothing wrong with having both:thumb:

            Comment


            • #7
              If you have the money to burn, I would suggest it. when PS3 first came out the games werent up to par as much as the 360 so I was iffy about buyin a PS3. But now they're amazing. Not to mention the Bluray is great! My TV isn't even full HD and the bluray looks absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine if it was full HD. The only advice I have is you have to buy a HDMI cable for it to be in HD. Look carefully at the bundles of them. There is a few out there and I was excited about getting it so I didn't really pay much attention to what I grabbed. I got one that had the HDMI cable and the regular setup and it was like 50 bucks. But a month or so later I went back and was messing around I saw a bundle that had the HDMI cable and an extra controller for the same price. So just look around a bit before you purchase. . .

              PS if you get it my PS3 tag is RickyVoorhees if you wanted to play online. . .
              sigpic
              MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RickyVoorhees View Post
                If you have the money to burn, I would suggest it. when PS3 first came out the games werent up to par as much as the 360 so I was iffy about buyin a PS3. But now they're amazing. Not to mention the Bluray is great! My TV isn't even full HD and the bluray looks absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine if it was full HD. The only advice I have is you have to buy a HDMI cable for it to be in HD. Look carefully at the bundles of them. There is a few out there and I was excited about getting it so I didn't really pay much attention to what I grabbed. I got one that had the HDMI cable and the regular setup and it was like 50 bucks. But a month or so later I went back and was messing around I saw a bundle that had the HDMI cable and an extra controller for the same price. So just look around a bit before you purchase. . .

                PS if you get it my PS3 tag is RickyVoorhees if you wanted to play online. . .
                Thanks for the info...I'll PM you if I get one set up

                Comment


                • #9
                  My friend just bought a PS3 after owning a 360 for a couple years and he got through MGS4 and hasn't really played it since then. We've been playing L4D2 a lot on Xbox Live.

                  It's really all about opinion. PS3 for me has always seemed like more of a solo ish console. Lots of good single player games, only recently has it started to get a good number of exclusive multiplayer titles. I'm gonna buy a PS3 soon just because I don't mind playing videogames by myself when I have nothing better to do, but if you're only about playing with friends or multiplayer stuff I feel that while both have good service, Xbox Live is better with it's party system etc. and you should just stick with the 360.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes but one thing people always forget to mention is that the PS3 has a lot more potential in the long run of things. . .
                    sigpic
                    MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Den615 View Post
                      Thanks for the info...I'll PM you if I get one set up
                      No problem my friend. . .
                      sigpic
                      MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                        It's really all about opinion. PS3 for me has always seemed like more of a solo ish console. Lots of good single player games, only recently has it started to get a good number of exclusive multiplayer titles.
                        I guess I could see how that might seem like the case but honestly everygame I've played online there has been a lot of people to play online with. Especially Madden 10. . .
                        sigpic
                        MILE HIGH TIL I DIE!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by RickyVoorhees View Post
                          Yes but one thing people always forget to mention is that the PS3 has a lot more potential in the long run of things. . .
                          Honestly that just seems like PS3 homerism talk to me. Developers still hate working with the PS3's processor build and it's myriad of programming issues which is why multi-platform releases generally result in the PS3 being of slightly lower quality. In my opinion this will result in very few newer game developers giving PS3 exclusives, and those that already don't do PS3 games will continue to avoid it in the future. There are already a good core of Studios that make games for the PS3 exclusively, and it is unlikely that this group will expand by much unless Sony figures out a way to make it easier to program/design games on the PS3.

                          This doesn't mean the PS3 won't have good games, it does and it will continue to get good ones, but it's smaller user base and irritating design issues will cause non PS3 committed developers like Valve to continue to shy away from it, or at least wait a year or so after it's 360 release to be released on the PS3 (like Bioshock).

                          Not knocking the PS3 or saying it sucks because it doesn't, this is just how I see it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RickyVoorhees View Post
                            I guess I could see how that might seem like the case but honestly everygame I've played online there has been a lot of people to play online with. Especially Madden 10. . .
                            Yeah I don't mean number of people online, there are plenty, I was more talking about playing with friends etc.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                              Developers still hate working with the PS3's processor
                              Not the developers of Uncharted or Hideo Kojima for that matter.

                              It really is IMPOSSIBLE to port Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted to the 360.

                              Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                              multi-platform releases generally result in the PS3 being of slightly lower quality
                              As the years pass the difference in graphical quality has been very much reduced.

                              In fact some games look better on the PS3. I can name Dragon Age and Tekken 6 to be noticeably better looking than their 360 counterparts.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X