Xbox 360 E74 Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox 360 E74 Error

Well..... I don't play my Xbox 360 that much. I haven't played in a week and this morning since I had nothing to do decided to play Madden..

During the game I noticed there were weird visual things going on like 2 weird faded bars in the middle of my screen so I shut the game down.

When I turned the Xbox on it gave me 1 red and the E74 error message telling me to contact Microsoft......

The problem is I don't have a warranty on it seeing that I bought the game from my friend a while ago and I heard it costs 140 dollars which is almost as much as I bought the system for....

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
    Well..... I don't play my Xbox 360 that much. I haven't played in a week and this morning since I had nothing to do decided to play Madden..

During the game I noticed there were weird visual things going on like 2 weird faded bars in the middle of my screen so I shut the game down.

When I turned the Xbox on it gave me 1 red and the E74 error message telling me to contact Microsoft......

The problem is I don't have a warranty on it seeing that I bought the game from my friend a while ago and I heard it costs 140 dollars which is almost as much as I bought the system for....

Any suggestions?
    I had this a few weeks ago, and it could be a few problems. FIRST, get a new Video cord, and try it on the xbox. E74 is either a bad video cable or the GPU chip is done for. I had a bestbuy warranty and they swapped out the system for me. Talk to the person you bought it from because E74 errors are now covered under the 3 year warranty from xbox(I dont know if thats the warranty that comes with it or you have to buy that from microsoft). Maybe the seller could send it in for you

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
      I had this a few weeks ago, and it could be a few problems. FIRST, get a new Video cord, and try it on the xbox. E74 is either a bad video cable or the GPU chip is done for. I had a bestbuy warranty and they swapped out the system for me. Talk to the person you bought it from because E74 errors are now covered under the 3 year warranty from xbox(I dont know if thats the warranty that comes with it or you have to buy that from microsoft). Maybe the seller could send it in for you
      Is there any way to tell if it's the AV cable or the GPU? I really don't want to find out that it's the GPU when I spend 20 bucks on another AV cable. :doh:

This sucks.

Comment

Is there any way to tell if it's the AV cable or the GPU? I really don't want to find out that it's the GPU when I spend 20 bucks on another AV cable. :doh:

This sucks.
        borrow someone elses cord for a day, if your able to. In my case, the gpu was done for

Comment

Xbox 360 owners who experience the “three flashing red lights” (I heard they just decided to include the e74 error in addition to 3 rings)error with their Xbox 360 within three years of purchase can have their consoles repaired at no cost

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=14577

Contact microsoft, but do not tell them you bought it from someone else, and try not to give your info to them unless they say they will fix it
          Last edited by Sparky The Sun Devil; 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky The Sun Devil View Post
            borrow someone elses cord for a day, if your able to. In my case, the gpu was done for
            Oh wow I'm an idiot.

Of course I don't have any common sense.

Comment

My friend has the exact same problem, but his 360 is more than 3 years old.
              sigpic
              Made by Houshmazode

Comment

I heard Xbox will do a free repair for you if you get the RROD or the E74 error message.

Of course whenever mine broke I never had either of those problems so I had to pay for all of my repairs.
                sigpic

Comment

I found out my friend didn't get the warranty.

I found this guy on craigslist that says he can fix E74, Red ring, etc for 35 dollars.

Should I trust this guy or not. Hmmmmmm...

Comment

lol, another one bites the dust.

Microsoft is such a rip-off.
                    the space that is mine

We miss 'ya brother dime. We know your up there jamming with Cliff and Chuck. Stay metal :salute: :rockon:

Comment

I found out my friend didn't get the warranty.

I found this guy on craigslist that says he can fix E74, Red ring, etc for 35 dollars.

Should I trust this guy or not. Hmmmmmm...
                      Go to xbox.com and try to register the xbox... Chances are you will be able to use the manufactures warranty as it really doesn't kick in until it's registered
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                        Go to xbox.com and try to register the xbox... Chances are you will be able to use the manufactures warranty as it really doesn't kick in until it's registered
                        I try to get my thing registered and repaired and it freakin sends me to an error page saying they can't process my order this time...

Are you freakin kidding me???

Damn Microsoft is a joke...

Comment

Ok I finally got it registered....

This maybe a dumb question. Actually it probably is a dumb question but when I send it in to UPS will they package the Xbox for me or do I have to do it myself and if I do then how the hell do I do it?

Comment

Ok I finally got it registered....

This maybe a dumb question. Actually it probably is a dumb question but when I send it in to UPS will they package the Xbox for me or do I have to do it myself and if I do then how the hell do I do it?
                            When you submit the request to be fixed, microsoft will overnight a box with Styrofoam and tape to put the xbox in. Keep Your Harddrive! Only send them the actual console. They'll either send it back fixed, or replace the xbox with a newer system that shouldn't ever have that error.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardcorebronco View Post
                              When you submit the request to be fixed, microsoft will overnight a box with Styrofoam and tape to put the xbox in. Keep Your Harddrive! Only send them the actual console. They'll either send it back fixed, or replace the xbox with a newer system that shouldn't ever have that error.
                              Are you sure they will send me a box? They never said anything about that I don't think.

Comment

Working...
                              X