Men at Work...villains or victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men at Work...villains or victims

Some of you may remember the Australian band Men at Work. They had a few very popular hits in the 80s such as "Who Can It Be Now" and the more popular "Down Under."

A Federal Court ruled that the flute riff in Down Under copied a song called "Kookabura Sits In The Old Gum Tree." The ruling could cost Men At Work millions. I love the song Down Under.

It's somewhat similar but I don't see it as a ripoff.

Originally posted by Mygtar View Post
    Some of you may remember the Australian band Men at Work. They had a few very popular hits in the 80s such as "Who Can It Be Now" and the more popular "Down Under."

A Federal Court ruled that the flute riff in Down Under copied a song called "Kookabura Sits In The Old Gum Tree." The ruling could cost Men At Work millions. I love the song Down Under.

It's somewhat similar but I don't see it as a ripoff.
    I agree........:thumb:

Comment

so dumb... i like men at work and this lawsuit is bogus. Not like its the flute riff that made millions

Comment

I'm all for paying royalties to copyright owners and giving credit where credit's due, but this is going a bit far. The only part of "Down Under" that sounds like "Kookaburra" is the last eleven notes of the flute intro, right before the first verse. Just like you said, Mygtar, it's similar, but not exactly the same. Men At Work are getting screwed.

Down Under

Kookaburra
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X