Spartacus:Blood and Sand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartacus:Blood and Sand

I wanted to give you guys a heads up about the new tv series on the Star channel..It's done in the same style as 300 but bloodier and with story line similar to Gladiator but better and every bit as good as both them movies

I have never seen any tv series on tv like this...Its got it all ... Normally hyping stuff like this is not my thing ..However I believe it to be that good I was a big fan of HBO series Rome and this blows it out of the water by a mile

There are numerous trailers on youtube you can search and I feel once you watch 1 episode it more then lives ups to its trailer hype.

Spartacus blood and sand

Spartacus blood and sand

Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator. The classic tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral new series, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand." Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/
    :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

Yeah i tried to watch the few episodes, Lucy Lawless half-naked and talking dirty probably could have got that job done on its own.

But NOOOOO they had to add the Flip Side to the Lucy Lawless scenes and that just killed the series for me.

Blood and Sand doesnt equal Tug of War, and its Spartacus is not the Gay Blade.

Comment

There are many great stories ...

... from ancient history and Classical and other mythologies worthy of the screen.

I don't have the Starz channel, so I can't comment on Spartacus.

The problem with screen adaptations of these is how they often deviate from what is well established (e.g., the many errors in 300 and Troy).

The HBO series, Rome, combined good history with imaginative, but plausible writing based on the two characters Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, the only two common soldiers to whom Julius Caesar referred by name.

I may need to upgrade to Starz in order to see Spartacus who is one of my favorite people from Roman History. Actually, many of the characters in Roman History whom I find interesting aren't even Roman (Spartacus, Cleopatra, Hannibal Barca, Vercingetorix, Boudica). The Romans I find most interesting are writers/poets/philosophers like Plautus, Ovid, Vergil and Lucretius. The only Roman political leaders who really inspire me are the Gracchi brothers, Tiberius and Gaius.
      Last edited by samparnell; 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        ... from ancient history and Classical and other mythologies worthy of the screen.

I don't have the Starz channel, so I can't comment on Spartacus.

The problem with screen adaptations of these is how they often deviate from what is well established (e.g., the many errors in 300 and Troy).

The HBO series, Rome, combined good history with imaginative, but plausible writing based on the two characters Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, the only two common soldiers to whom Julius Caesar referred by name.

I may need to upgrade to Starz in order to see Spartacus who is one of my favorite people from Roman History.Actually, many of the characters in Roman History whom I find interesting aren't even Roman (Spartacus, Cleopatra, Hannibal Barca, Vercingetorix, Boudica). The Romans I find most interesting are writers/poets/philosophers like Plautus, Ovid, Vergil and Lucretius. The only Roman political leaders who really inspire me are the Gracchi brothers, Tiberius and Gaius.
        Not really any sort of history buff Sam so I wouldn't really know what to look for ... I will say this though ... The name Spartacus is given to the character because of the way he fights ... The reference they make is the old Thracian King ... They call him Thracian as mockery through out ...

They adapt this into the story line

a major slave uprising against the Roman Republic."
        As the reason he is taken into slavery ... His tribes pledges allegiance to help stop the Barbarian horde..He does a scouting mission for the Romans and see that they are going after his village..He tells the Roman commander they use a special name for that but I cant remember ..The commander goes against what he says for his own reasons ... Spartacus has to go back and save his wife...He does "But" and when she gets taken away its pretty powerful I don't think I have seen anything like it on screen ....

So I would say it is more fiction in the mark of 300... I still think they do a fantastic job of putting into the time period but not so much using actual events ...They use multiple plots and angles amongst the Senators,Gladiators and other characters and I think the dialog is off the hook...

I don't have Starz either Sam so I watch on Netflix and I still contest it is the best tv series I have seen and its only 4 episodes in..The directing is really good imo and it reminds what it would be like if they made a 301.. Because of the things they do is just really imaginative and would seemingly be the next step ...I think the trailers on youtube give just a small glimpse of what the series is like but I thought them to MA to be posting here ...
        Last edited by LarryDean; 02-13-2010, 08:42 AM.

Comment

What you relate ...

... sounds like what I've read from ancient history.

There are a number of ancient sources of information about Spartacus including Plutarch, Appian, Florus, Orosius, Sallust and Diodorus Siculus.

As a teacher, I'm enthusiastic about something that sparks interest in anything.

I taught a social studies class last year, Classical Greek and Roman Studies, in which we actually read Homer's Iliad, Herodotus' Histories, Ovid's Metamorphoses and Books XXI-XXX of Livy's History of Rome which cover the Second Punic War (all in translation).

We watched 300 and Troy and pointed out all the errors.

Comment

I'm enthusiastic about something that sparks interest in anything.
            I like hearing and learning different things from movies then looking them up to find meaning ... For instance "Thracian" "Thrace"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrace

Anyhow ... Its pretty cool having Netflix because you can actually watch them before it airs tonight on the Starz channel

TV series: Spartacus: Blood and Sand
            Episode: Season 1, episode 5 – “Shadow Games”
            Air Date: Friday, Feb 19 2010

http://www.series.nu/news/reviews/ad...-shadow-games/

"All I can say is Wow, Wow and Wow!! This is by far the best episode yet!”
            The final fight scene in episode 5 is off the hook ...If you followed the series from episode 1..I could see people screaming at the screen saying come on get him... It really was that good ...The different plots in the story are just as good as well and more then keep you interested to see what happens next week ... Really happy I picked up on this series ...

Comment

Thrace

Originally posted by LarryDean View Post
              I like hearing and learning different things from movies then looking them up to find meaning ... For instance "Thracian" "Thrace"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrace

Anyhow ... Its pretty cool having Netflix because you can actually watch them before it airs tonight on the Starz channel

The final fight scene in episode 5 is off the hook ...If you followed the series from episode 1..I could see people screaming at the screen saying come on get him... It really was that good ...The different plots in the story are just as good as well and more then keep you interested to see what happens next week ... Really happy I picked up on this series ...
              modern day Bulgaria

One of the types of gladiators was the Thrax, the Thracian knife fighter.

Comment

The season finale was excellent
                sigpic

Comment

When I first saw this show I passed it over because I thought it was too much like 300 (a movie I wasnt that high on).

But I gave it a second chance and am glad I did. Heckuva doggone good show.

Hopefully theyll be able to do a second season, and if they do hopefully Andy Whitfield will be able to play Spartacus again.
                  LET 'ER BUCK!!!
                  Adopted by: Peanut, Chazoe60, CanDB, RealBronco and JakeNbake

Comment

Originally posted by ursamajor View Post
                    The season finale was excellent
                    i agree, i was so pumped i was yelling at my TV lol.

Comment

... sounds like what I've read from ancient history.

There are a number of ancient sources of information about Spartacus including Plutarch, Appian, Florus, Orosius, Sallust and Diodorus Siculus.

As a teacher, I'm enthusiastic about something that sparks interest in anything.

I taught a social studies class last year, Classical Greek and Roman Studies, in which we actually read Homer's Iliad, Herodotus' Histories, Ovid's Metamorphoses and Books XXI-XXX of Livy's History of Rome which cover the Second Punic War (all in translation).

We watched 300 and Troy and pointed out all the errors.
                      Have you read Edward Gibbon's "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

I think you would like it if you haven't read it. :salute!:

Comment

I have it.

Originally posted by TRUEBRONCOFAN24 View Post
                        Have you read Edward Gibbon's "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire"?

I think you would like it if you haven't read it. :salute!:
                        It deals with the invasion of the western part of the Roman Empire by tribes, mostly German ones.

Managed to get a boxed set on acid free paper. It was a book club incentive gift.

Gibbon published the first volume of it in 1776.

It still stands as a valid work of history.

Comment

I strongly dislike this show.

It is all faky.

It's like a 300 and Rome wannabe.
                          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

I haven't seen ..

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                            I strongly dislike this show.

It is all faky.

It's like a 300 and Rome wannabe.
                            ... Blood and Sand, but I have seen Rome and 300.

You didn't find 300 faky? One would think a film shot entirely on a soundstage with computer graphics added afterward, which was based on a comic book based on a film based on Herodotus, would seem fakiest.

Comment

Andy Whitfield dies of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma

http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...,7280299.story

May he rest in peace .

Comment

Working...
                              X