Thoughts on a new TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on a new TV?

ok guys so im probably gonna be buying a new TV once i get my tax refund back and im one who hates to make these big decisions without giving serious consideration to all options. so ive been looking at all these different TVs and there are just sooo many of the damn things

now heres what i know i want. it will be mainly for my xbox and i dont have HD cable yet so thats not a huge worry

but i know i want 1080p, 37-42in, good reliable brand (vizio, samsung, etc.)thats about it so im just looking for some input if you will. any tips on plasma, LCD, or LED, 60hz vs 120hz?
    sigpic
    -------

You might be able to get a really good deal on a nice plasma considering they're being phased out.

Comment

Samsung and Sony are the the best brands IMO. I have a 32" inch Sony and I love it. I was told by someone who knows them pretty well (seemingly) that Sony and Samsung were both manufactured by Sony. Vizio is probably a small step below, but not by much and they can be purchased for slighly less as well.

I would say for under 600 you should be able to get a pretty nice TV.
      sigpic
      Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Panasonic was voted for the best view. It just depends on your price range. I however have a Vizio and I really like it. I know they are cheaper but they have very good picture and I have had 0 issues with mine.
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

I have a 52" Sony Wega..... LOVE it! Picture is great for movies, sports and gaming. I've never had an issuein the almost 3 years I've had it.
          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*

Comment

I used to sell TVs. First I would suggest an LCD or LED (which is in the LCD family, just LED lights instead of fluorescent lighting). LEDs are more expensive than LCDs but have a better black, wider viewing angle and should last a bit longer.

I wouldn't go with a plasma. You will find them much cheaper than the other two, but they aren't as energy efficient, heavier (bad if you want to mount it), and have a nasty glare. I would only suggest one if you have it in a dark room. Plasmas have larger viewing angles and better blacks, but LCDs aren't much more and I would just go with them.

Also look for a 1080p if you get a 40" or bigger. You don't really need 1080p for anything smaller, but it can be nice to have. Some plasmas and older TVs will be 720p at the bigger size and aren't as nice.

I would suggest getting a Samsung if you have the cash for it. It is reliable, great quality, and consumer reports love it.

Sony is usually good, but their 40in LCDs have had some problems I've heard. I still like them.

Vizios are affordable and decent. You can save some money, but the sound quality is eh on a few of their models.

Other ones to consider: LG has a nice 37" and JCV has a nice 40" and are cheaper

Comment

I have a brand new 50in Plasma(samsung), which has the best picture Ive ever seen for blu-ray and xbox, not to mention it has a great viewing angle ..BUT theres the burn in factor, and you really cant keep anything paused for more than a few minutes without it leaving a ghost image on the screen.
              sigpic

Comment

As said before on another thread...I have a couple High Def T.v's. The biggest and best I have is the Mitsubishi 60". I have a couple of vizio's one for my mother in law, and one in the bedroom. I think Sony is the top of the line, with Samsung a close second along with Vizio. For the Price I would have to go Vizio....It has a fantastic pic...

In the computer room I have a Magnavox full High Def. I just bought it last week at target. Really watching this 90 day thing as Im a little leary of Magnavox. The reason I bought it was it was only $499.00 for a 42" 1080P

So far so good....
                Just stay away from Westing house and other off name brands....
                sigpic

Comment

I've got a 40 inch Dynex (Best Buy brand) it does the job for me, I use it for my computer monitor, tv viewing and playing my xbox... the price on it at the time was $499
                  :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                  Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Whatever you do, find the best price of the tv you want online and print out the page. Then take it to Best Buy and they will normally match the price. They took off $1100 on my tv. A really good website to check is abesofmaine.com. They have good prices. Hope that helped but make sure you price match. Good luck
                    I adopt Peanut, mod of the stars
                    I adopt Brakshow, you mess with him, you answer to me
                    I adopt PAINTERDAVE, my conservative elephant
                    "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." -James 1
                    God Bless Our Troops!!!!!
                    Adopted by the Greats: Peanut12and4, Freyaka, McSmashie Thanks Guys

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                      I used to sell TVs. First I would suggest an LCD or LED (which is in the LCD family, just LED lights instead of fluorescent lighting). LEDs are more expensive than LCDs but have a better black, wider viewing angle and should last a bit longer.

I wouldn't go with a plasma. You will find them much cheaper than the other two, but they aren't as energy efficient, heavier (bad if you want to mount it), and have a nasty glare. I would only suggest one if you have it in a dark room. Plasmas have larger viewing angles and better blacks, but LCDs aren't much more and I would just go with them.

Also look for a 1080p if you get a 40" or bigger. You don't really need 1080p for anything smaller, but it can be nice to have. Some plasmas and older TVs will be 720p at the bigger size and aren't as nice.

I would suggest getting a Samsung if you have the cash for it. It is reliable, great quality, and consumer reports love it.

Sony is usually good, but their 40in LCDs have had some problems I've heard. I still like them.

Vizios are affordable and decent. You can save some money, but the sound quality is eh on a few of their models.

Other ones to consider: LG has a nice 37" and JCV has a nice 40" and are cheaper
                      agreed w/ the vizio and the sound quality the ones ive heard are not that great
                      sigpic
                      -------

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                        agreed w/ the vizio and the sound quality the ones ive heard are not that great
                        I have a Vizio 42". The sound quality is meh, but I use surround sound anyway.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                          Panasonic was voted for the best view. It just depends on your price range. I however have a Vizio and I really like it. I know they are cheaper but they have very good picture and I have had 0 issues with mine.
                          I know several people who have Vizio's and they all love theirs.

Comment

I would definitely look into the Sharp VC-H965U.

Comment

Originally posted by Brancos View Post
                              I would definitely look into the Sharp VC-H965U.
                              that looks like an excellent tv set!
                              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Working...
                              X