Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2010 Gig Guide

Morning everyone!

Well I just woke up early this morning to buy my Green Day tickets for Glasgow on June the 21st and wondered if any of you guys had any concerts planned for this year!

So far I've got/seen:

Reel Big Fish on 1/28
    30 Seconds to Mars: 2/27
    Mark Knopfler (Former Dire Straits frontman) 5/21
    Green Day (at Wembley Stadium!) 6/19
    Green Day (in Glasgow) 6/21

I'm also more than likely going to my first festival this year, which will be Leeds festival, check out some of the amazing headliners through the years!

Link

Rumoured this year is the return of Blink 182 to the UK, to be partnered by...Green Day.

Yes, that seems like alot of Green Day, but I'll only have seen them 5 times in 12 months if all goes to plan

Anyone got anything planned?

I went to the 02 Academy in Glasgow on Monday 22nd Feb to see Mika. I know it isn't cool to like him, but the gig was sensational. The guy earned my respect big time - fantastic show, fantastic showman, tight band. The whole place left the venue smiling and singing - great time was had by all. I'm sure Freddie Mercury is looking down at Mika and thinking 'Yeah, the baton has been picked up'. Or something like that. If you believe in such things....ach, you know what I mean.

It also got me to thinking what have been my top 10 all-time gigs, since I first saw Slade at the old Glasgow Apollo in May 1974. Having given it very careful consideration....

01. Crowded House. King Tuts, Glasgow. November 1991.
    02. Bruce Springsteen. Hampden Park, Glasgow. July 2009.
    03. Robbie Williams. Hampden Park, Glasgow. August 2001.
    04. R.E.M. Barrowlands, Glasgow. May 1989.
    05. Led Zeppelin. Knebworth Festival, August 1979.
    06. Mika. 02 Academy, Glasgow. February 2010.
    07. U2. Glasgow Strathclyde University. January 1981.
    08. Runrig. Loch Lomond Festival. June 1991.
    09. Paul Kelly. King Tuts, Glasgow. June 2002.
    10. Rose Tattoo. Manly Vale Hotel, Sydney. February 1983.
    Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

I haven't been to any in 2010 yet, but this is what I have lined up:

Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan on 3/18
      And then I am going to Country Jam at the end of June...its a 4 day music fest and these are the acts that I plan on seeing there: Billy Currington, Lee Ann Womack, Trace Adkins, Jake Owen, Miranda Lambert, Alan Jackson, Danny Gokey (lol!!!), Big Kenny and Keith Urban.

Not all that exciting if you don't like country music, but its exciting for me!
      ...capture it...remember it...

Comment

I can I come with you to Green Day?

I was supposed to go to the concert in Pittsburgh on July 22 2009 (my birthday is the 21st so its perfect) But I didn't get tickets. Oh well. I'll see them next time.
        sigpic

Comment

Alice in Chains - Last Friday
          Band Of Horses - next month
          Them Crooked Vultures - April
          Jay Z - Next Month
          Rob Zombie & Korn - June
          Soundgarden Reunion - Sometime this summer
          Tom Petty - Summer
          U2 - June

I am patiently waiting for other bands to release some summer dates (Pearl Jam, Black Crowes, MGMT)

Comment

Originally posted by broooks77 View Post
            I can I come with you to Green Day?

I was supposed to go to the concert in Pittsburgh on July 22 2009 (my birthday is the 21st so its perfect) But I didn't get tickets. Oh well. I'll see them next time.
            Which time? lol, Glasgow, Wembley or Leeds (if they do in fact follow through with the rumours!)

Please tell me you've seen them before, they are simply the best band I have ever seen live. I've been to Iron Maiden, Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hampden park, and they didn't compare to Green Day in a smaller venue than both of those. They are incredible.

What are the best support bands some of you guys have seen?

Mines is a toss up between Trivium and Sonic Boom Six, a relatively unknown ska band from the UK, they are terrific.

Also these guys from Boston, "Big D At The Kids Table" were certainly something to behold, a mix of rock and 1950s tunes. Was really great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
              Alice in Chains - Last Friday
              Band Of Horses - next month
              Them Crooked Vultures - April
              Jay Z - Next Month
              Rob Zombie & Korn - June
              Soundgarden Reunion - Sometime this summer
              Tom Petty - Summer
              U2 - June

I am patiently waiting for other bands to release some summer dates (Pearl Jam, Black Crowes, MGMT)
              Tom Petty! Jealous

Pearl Jam are rumoured to also be playing Leeds festival as part of their UK tour. I loved Ten.

Comment

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
                I went to the 02 Academy in Glasgow on Monday 22nd Feb to see Mika. I know it isn't cool to like him, but the gig was sensational. The guy earned my respect big time - fantastic show, fantastic showman, tight band. The whole place left the venue smiling and singing - great time was had by all. I'm sure Freddie Mercury is looking down at Mika and thinking 'Yeah, the baton has been picked up'. Or something like that. If you believe in such things....ach, you know what I mean.

It also got me to thinking what have been my top 10 all-time gigs, since I first saw Slade at the old Glasgow Apollo in May 1974. Having given it very careful consideration....

01. Crowded House. King Tuts, Glasgow. November 1991.
                02. Bruce Springsteen. Hampden Park, Glasgow. July 2009.
                03. Robbie Williams. Hampden Park, Glasgow. August 2001.
                04. R.E.M. Barrowlands, Glasgow. May 1989.
                05. Led Zeppelin. Knebworth Festival, August 1979.
                06. Mika. 02 Academy, Glasgow. February 2010.
                07. U2. Glasgow Strathclyde University. January 1981.
                08. Runrig. Loch Lomond Festival. June 1991.
                09. Paul Kelly. King Tuts, Glasgow. June 2002.
                10. Rose Tattoo. Manly Vale Hotel, Sydney. February 1983.
                I've Heard Robbie Williams is a fantastic live act, would love to see him.

I saw the signs for Mika, I go by the O2 everyday to get to university, I won't lie, I was tempted to grab a ticket, Love Today always comes on at our work, such a catchy song.

R.E.M. must have been something special, I really wanted to see them live a T in the Park a few years back but was abit young. I won't be going this year. I love Muse but really Eminem and Kasabian don't do it for me. David Bowie was meant to be coming back to play there, and I'm disappointed he didn't, I love me some BOWIE!

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                  Which time? lol, Glasgow, Wembley or Leeds (if they do in fact follow through with the rumours!)

Please tell me you've seen them before, they are simply the best band I have ever seen live. I've been to Iron Maiden, Red Hot Chili Peppers at Hampden park, and they didn't compare to Green Day in a smaller venue than both of those. They are incredible.

What are the best support bands some of you guys have seen?

Mines is a toss up between Trivium and Sonic Boom Six, a relatively unknown ska band from the UK, they are terrific.

Also these guys from Boston, "Big D At The Kids Table" were certainly something to behold, a mix of rock and 1950s tunes. Was really great.
                  I have not seen them live in person sadly... (I own Bullet in A Bible though which is their live concert for American Idiot)

But I'm hoping, for their US tour, that they come back to Pittsburgh. I wouldn't miss them for the world.

And I've never been to any other concerts. But hey, I'm 15 and I've got lots of time. :thumb:
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andyy_47 View Post
                    I've Heard Robbie Williams is a fantastic live act, would love to see him.

I saw the signs for Mika, I go by the O2 everyday to get to university, I won't lie, I was tempted to grab a ticket, Love Today always comes on at our work, such a catchy song.

R.E.M. must have been something special, I really wanted to see them live a T in the Park a few years back but was abit young. I won't be going this year. I love Muse but really Eminem and Kasabian don't do it for me. David Bowie was meant to be coming back to play there, and I'm disappointed he didn't, I love me some BOWIE!

Robbie Williams was sensational at Hampden in 2001, as was Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band at Hampden in 2009. I also saw Springsteen in 1985 at Newcastle United's St James Park. In a massive outdoor sports stadium with 80,000 fans, Springsteen, Robbie Williams, and U2 have an amazing talent for reaching out to everyone in the arena. I've seen a lot of stadium shows where the headline act don't have the craft to pull it off - those three acts do. Springsteen especially, just amazing how 80,000 people left Hampden having felt that they were part of an intimate club gig.

The R.E.M. 1985 gig at the Barrowlands was on their 'Green' tour, so it was just before they went 'global'. It was the hottest gig I have ever been to (temperature wise!), it had been a really hot day, and of course, the Barrowlands is an old ballroom with no mod cons like Air Con. The place was packed to the rafters, and I'm not kidding when I say that the perspiration and heat from the crowd formed water drops on the venue ceiling, which dripped back down. I came out of there completely soaked in sweat.

The worst live band I ever saw were Bad Company, around about 1979 on their 'Desolation Angels' tour. They were garbage - looked like they weren't talking to each other, and rattled through a totally lacklustre set. Another band who were a disappointment live were Alice in Chains - on the 'Dirt' tour, years ago with Layne Staley. I was really looking forward to them as I love their albums, but while I don't think they were out of their heads on stage or anything, like Bad Company, it appeared there were problems internally in the band, and they just stood motionless, played a flat set, no encores, then left without saying a word between songs.

Still, 2 bad gigs since 1974 - not a bad average. AC/DC at the Apollo with Bon Scott, they are worth an honourable mention too. Saw them about 6 times with Bon - God rest his soul.

Comment

I'll be interested to see how Green Day perform once again in an open air venue, Bullet in A Bible was played to over 130,000 people in Milton Keynes and is the best Music DVD I own. Red Hot Chilis didn't really impress me too much at Hampden, I blame the crowd more though, we were near the front and were getting mollested for the privelege. It was also a scorching day so we were burning in the sun before Biffy Clyro came out to support.

The worst band I've seen for crowd trouble was by far Arctic Monkeys. I really partly blame the band. Incase your unaware of them, they have a song, Brianstorm, probably their most popular song at that, which is REALLY fast and encourages alot of crowd movement. The crowd were restless from the get-go, they took 45 minutes after the support to come out and play their set. They played Brianstorm second. The place erupted, I was maybe, 10 people from the stage when this whole area of people around me collapsed, throwing people to the ground to be crushed, I got pushed down onto my knees but got my hands out to stop myself falling, and just before I pulled myself back up I heard someone screaming "HELP!" There was some little boy who must have been 10-11 there, when this was meant to be a 14s+ concert. I grabbed him and dragged him to the back of the concert hall, he was crying for his mum, was a shame but really he shouldn't have been there.

The gig had to be stopped 4-5 times because of the crowd troubles, the lead singer didn't say anything to help either, as opposed to (as Bruce ****inson of Iron Maiden did) asking people to stop and just enjoy the concert as opposed to trying to fight, all Alex Turner did was ask "Getting abit carried away Glasgow?"

The staff there didn't help, they gave up handing out water to the crowd, so they compensated by throwing it on us, which caused the floor to get soaking, and people falling.

Musically it was a fantastic gig, it just left a sour taste in my mouth thinking of all the injuries sustained because they couldn't control their own crowd. That song shouldn't have been played second, wait till the end when everyone is tired.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapping Turtle View Post
                        I haven't been to any in 2010 yet, but this is what I have lined up:

Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan on 3/18
                        And then I am going to Country Jam at the end of June...its a 4 day music fest and these are the acts that I plan on seeing there: Billy Currington, Lee Ann Womack, Trace Adkins, Jake Owen, Miranda Lambert, Alan Jackson, Danny Gokey (lol!!!), Big Kenny and Keith Urban.

Not all that exciting if you don't like country music, but its exciting for me!
                        I was never a country music fan until we started visiting America about 15 years ago. I don't like 'old style' country, and I know there's a whole debate about modern bands being pop-rock, but I really love Sugarland, Lady Antebellum, Gloriana, Little Big Town, and Rascal Flatts. I also like a lot of the 'ladies' - especially Faith Hill, Trisha Yearwood and Mary Chapin Carpenter.

If you like country - check out an Australian artist called Kasey Chambers. She's really good. I love her album 'The Captain'.

Official website of multi award-winning Country Music artist, Kasey Chambers.
                        Last edited by pozbaird; 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I have an announcement.

30 Seconds to Mars were amazing.

That is all.

5/5, I'm not even that big a fan, but it was a great. Jared Leto gets abit annoying after awhile with his constant talking up the town he's playing in, but the drummer, Shannon, he earned them 5 stars, what a performer. It was a show and a half, thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Comment

Good news on the UK 2010 gig front - Brandi Carlile is touring in April/May, and plays the ABC in Glasgow on Thursday April 29th. The tickets are only £11 each too - now that is a good deal. I've seen her live in Glasgow twice before, she's brilliant, and so are her band. She's a babe too, which is a nice bonus.

The official website of Brandi Carlile

Comment

Paul McCartney at Hampden shall be added to that list for me if I get tickets on Monday!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X