What books are you reading currently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet,

I haven't read any of the last few Cross novels... so I can't speak to those.

I think more and more, in several series', Patterson is working with other authors and putting his name on them...not sure how much of the work he's putting in, and how much of it he's having them do the writing, and then he gets $ because it's his name, and the other guy benefits from having his name there side by side with Patterson... because goodness knows an unknown dude will make more THAT way than if he tried to strike out on his own.

That's just my little conspiracy theory I've had for a while.

Take Rogue's advice and go back to some of the earlier stuff... the nursery rhyme named ones, like Kiss The Girls and Along Came a Spider. There were a few before those, even, I think... but I don't remember their names. Anyways, those are the best ones.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
      Can I ask you guys what on earth makes Patterson so appealing? I've read 2 different Alex Cross novels, and I hated them both.

They were well written, but my problem is that in both books, Cross, who is supposed to be this "amazing" mystery solver, does not a damn thing to solve the cases. In each one, random happenstance and chance breaks the case and drops the bad guys into his lap.

I think one was Cross, and the other was Cross Country. Horribly dull stories. Not intriguing in the least.

So after having read two different novels by Patterson, I'm completely dumbstruck that anyone reads him.

Maybe I just read his two worst books, so I'd be willing to try another novel of his, but I've got to know what the appeal is before I do.
      I read one that I didn't like either but I like Kiss the girls and Anong came a spider enough to try another one. Trial is very good (if not a bit disturbing becuase of history) Also Swimsuit just came out and it was a good read.

Give him another chance, I am glad I did. For me it was the stortytelling in Trial and the other two bring you along well so you want to see how it turns out in the end.
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue719 View Post
        I think it's the books. I read the two that were turned into movies and thought they were both pretty good reads. I started a different one and found it dragging and after a bit gave up on it.

Check out Walter Mosley's "Easy Rawlin's" books. The guy is an awesome writer.
        Originally posted by redbirdy80 View Post
        Jet,

I haven't read any of the last few Cross novels... so I can't speak to those.

I think more and more, in several series', Patterson is working with other authors and putting his name on them...not sure how much of the work he's putting in, and how much of it he's having them do the writing, and then he gets $ because it's his name, and the other guy benefits from having his name there side by side with Patterson... because goodness knows an unknown dude will make more THAT way than if he tried to strike out on his own.

That's just my little conspiracy theory I've had for a while.

Take Rogue's advice and go back to some of the earlier stuff... the nursery rhyme named ones, like Kiss The Girls and Along Came a Spider. There were a few before those, even, I think... but I don't remember their names. Anyways, those are the best ones.
        Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
        I read one that I didn't like either but I like Kiss the girls and Anong came a spider enough to try another one. Trial is very good (if not a bit disturbing becuase of history) Also Swimsuit just came out and it was a good read.

Give him another chance, I am glad I did. For me it was the stortytelling in Trial and the other two bring you along well so you want to see how it turns out in the end.
        Well, Patterson's was the only name on the two that I read, but they are more recent novels. I have to wonder if he wasn't just pumping something out due to a contract or whatnot.

I'll definitly go back and try some of his earlier works. Thanks for the explanation everyone!!!

I'm glad to know I wasn't just crazy!!!

Comment

• The Name by Franklyn Graham.
          Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
          sigpic

Comment

• I'm reading a bunch of good ones right now.

-Outer Dark by McCarthy; just bought Blood Meridian, gonna dive into that one here...
            -Song of Solomon by Morrison (I'm in a Morrison seminar right now; just finished Sula)
            -Sanctuary by Faulkner; gearing up for a unit sequence on Sound and the Fury, so I get my fix of Faulkner...
            -Bridge (collection) by Crane
            -One Flew by Kesey(for the 7th time; gotta teach a phonetics unit with this one so I've been studying up a little on the nuances; just bought Great Notion last night)
            -Gonna start Things They Carried by O'Brien tonight.

Comment

• Five Against One: The Pearl Jam Story
              By: Kim Neely

If you like Pearl Jam it's a must read...very good book I just finished it so now I moved to...

On Writing
              By: Steven King

Another book that has me addicted...he is a very funny guy too but also for the career path I'm trying to take it's helping keep me very motivated.
              sigpic
              Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
              You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
              You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
              Have It All - Blu3
              Conceited - Blu3
              Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
              All On You - Blu3

Comment

• ive had this book for probably 10 years and never even opened it (wasnt a big reader) but i think saturday while im hungover ill start reading this! packers in the SB stirred it up
                sigpic
                -------

Comment

• Originally posted by rjent View Post
                  The Sear Wolf is an outstanding read! :thumb:

I am currently reading (again) all of the Robert B Parker Spenser series, currently on Thin Air.

The Bible (daily)
                  Just finished the Appaloosa series by Parker as well and his newest western Gunman's Rhapsody! All excellent reads!

Just finished for the second time this last fall the Eragon Series.Love to read!

I'm working on that right now, part way through Brisngr and I can't wait until he finally gets around to writing the final book!

On a whim today I decided to watch the Eragon movie...Holy freaking crap! I mean it's like the director said "hey just for fun lets take a decent book and cut out like 9/10ths of the book and then re-write the other 1/10th yet still call it by the name of the book.....

I have never seen a movie that was 100% nothing like the book....

1. There was no amount of time between finding the egg, the egg hatching and Saphira becoming a full grown dragon so it's like "hey what are you, what the crap why are you so big? you can talk?" all in like a 5 minute time span....no bonding/developing trust just wam bam thank you dragon....

2. Galbatorix/Durza and pretty much everyone else in the movie imediately knew that Saphira hatched and where to find her the second it happened....

3. way too many razac (plus hey lets kill them even though that makes the second book pointless) speaking of making the second book pointless lets just leave out many characters vital to the plot (katrina, the twins, the entire dwarf race)

those are just some of the MAJOR deviations from the book....not to mention the smaller things like the razacs really not resembling the way they were described in the book (not to mention the Urgals who looked lke men with bad facial piercings.....where are their freaking ram horns?)

The thing that is most sad about the movie is people that have watched it without first reading the book are likely to look at the book and thing....wow what a pile of crap....it's like star wars with dragons....and really the movie was a blatant copy of star wars but the book series (while it shares similarites) is not anywhere as bad of a blatent plagerism as the movie.

The book series (expecially the more it moves along) is actually very well written and you can tell with each new book that the writer is actually growing as a writer and developing into a better story teller.
                  sigpic

Comment

• I read through pretty much every post and was surprised not to see this title.

1. House of Cards, William D. Cohan
                    A tale of Hubris and Excess Greed on Wall Street.

This is one of the best reads out there right now and although it's 580 pages long it will keep your attention.

Bear Stearns at their worst, Give it a shot.

2. Something a little more fun, any of the Barry Eisler "Rain," series.
                    A Japanese American assassin specializing in death by natural causes. Make sure you read these in order.

3. Daughter of God, Lewis Perdue. DaVinci Codeish but better.

4. Dean Koontz, Frankenstein 1 thru 4, not bad from a fantasy standpoint.
                    [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      I'm working on that right now, part way through Brisngr and I can't wait until he finally gets around to writing the final book!

On a whim today I decided to watch the Eragon movie...Holy freaking crap! I mean it's like the director said "hey just for fun lets take a decent book and cut out like 9/10ths of the book and then re-write the other 1/10th yet still call it by the name of the book.....

I have never seen a movie that was 100% nothing like the book....

1. There was no amount of time between finding the egg, the egg hatching and Saphira becoming a full grown dragon so it's like "hey what are you, what the crap why are you so big? you can talk?" all in like a 5 minute time span....no bonding/developing trust just wam bam thank you dragon....

2. Galbatorix/Durza and pretty much everyone else in the movie imediately knew that Saphira hatched and where to find her the second it happened....

3. way too many razac (plus hey lets kill them even though that makes the second book pointless) speaking of making the second book pointless lets just leave out many characters vital to the plot (katrina, the twins, the entire dwarf race)

those are just some of the MAJOR deviations from the book....not to mention the smaller things like the razacs really not resembling the way they were described in the book (not to mention the Urgals who looked lke men with bad facial piercings.....where are their freaking ram horns?)

The thing that is most sad about the movie is people that have watched it without first reading the book are likely to look at the book and thing....wow what a pile of crap....it's like star wars with dragons....and really the movie was a blatant copy of star wars but the book series (while it shares similarites) is not anywhere as bad of a blatent plagerism as the movie.

The book series (expecially the more it moves along) is actually very well written and you can tell with each new book that the writer is actually growing as a writer and developing into a better story teller.
                      It is funny, I like the movie, not because it follows the book, but because it brings Saphira to life (which I thought they did a good job of) and I thought with the complexity of the book(s) there was no way that they could use the actual story as written. I hope Peter Jackson will tackle this story as soon as the last book is done (he says impatiently ).

Anyway, now on Robert's Chance in the series. I own them all mostly in hard bindings. I haven't even cracked open the newest (post mortem) Painted Ladies. I will just get to it when I get to the end again.

23 down

Anyone else read Parker?
                      Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                      sigpic
                      I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                      Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• [QUOTE=Taos_Broncomaniac;3680643]I read through pretty much every post and was surprised not to see this title.

1. House of Cards, William D. Cohan
                        A tale of Hubris and Excess Greed on Wall Street.

This is one of the best reads out there right now and although it's 580 pages long it will keep your attention.

Bear Stearns at their worst, Give it a shot.

2. Something a little more fun, any of the Barry Eisler "Rain," series.
                        A Japanese American assassin specializing in death by natural causes. Make sure you read these in order.

3. Daughter of God, Lewis Perdue. DaVinci Codeish but better.

4. Dean Koontz, Frankenstein 1 thru 4, not bad from a fantasy standpoint.[/QUOTE]

I read dean Koontz a lot. I think that might be his best work, and I love that it is a 4 book series. :thumb: good call.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
                          I got two, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter....

....and The Mental Floss History of the World.

Just thought I'd add this for McSmashie:

Comment

• I just finished one of my Nick Carter Killmaster books (quick reading little spy novels, they are CHEAP at the used bookstore).

I'm currently reading Max Brand's "Soft Metal", and will probably restart reading the Stephen King "Dark Tower" series soon. I had read the 1st three in the series but didn't have the rest of them until now.

I think I have a couple of Richard Laymon horror novels still left to read, Robert Jordan/Brandon Sanderson WOT "Towers of Midnight", and then I will be out of new books. Thankfully I have all the Louis L'Amour books and will just start rereading the ones I haven't read in a few years, that's my usual practice for when I am out of fresh reading material, until I make it to the bookstore.

Comment

• Musicophila by Oliver Sacks. Super interesting text about how the brain processes music.
                              nashville seo || Corporate Gift Basket |

Comment

• 500 Year old Book found in Utah

500-year-old book surfaces in Utah

The Associated Press
                                Monday, April 25, 2011 1:05 PM EDT

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Book dealer Ken Sanders has seen a lot of nothing in his decades appraising "rare" finds pulled from attics and basements, storage sheds and closets.

Sanders, who occasionally appraises items for PBS's Antiques Roadshow, often employs "the fine art of letting people down gently."

But on a recent Saturday while volunteering at a fundraiser for the small town museum in Sandy, Utah, just south of Salt Lake, Sanders got the surprise of a lifetime.

"Late in the afternoon, a man sat down and started unwrapping a book from a big plastic sack, informing me he had a really, really old book and he thought it might be worth some money," he said. "I kinda start, oh boy, I've heard this before."

Then he produced a tattered, partial copy of the 500-year-old Nuremberg Chronicle.

The German language edition printed by Anton Koberger and published in 1493 is a world history beginning in biblical times. It's considered to be one of the earliest and most lavishly illustrated books produced after Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press and revolutionized publishing.

"I was just absolutely astounded. I was flabbergasted, particularly here in the interior West," Sanders said. "We might see a lot of rare Mormon books and other treasures, but you don't expect to see a five centuries old book, you don't expect to see one of the oldest printed books in the world pop up in Sandy, Utah."

The book's owner has declined to be identified, but Sanders said it was passed down to the man by his great uncle and had been just gathering dust in his attic for decades.

Because of the cotton bond paper it was printed on, not wood pulp paper like most present-day works, Sanders said the remaining pages have been well-preserved albeit literally coming apart at the seams

"Barring further calamity or disaster, it will last another 500 years," he said.

And Sanders is certain it's not a fake.

"It passes the smell test," he said. "I'm not sure there's ever been a forger born who is ambitious enough to hand-create a five centuries old book in a manner sufficient enough to fool people".

Comment

Working...
                                X