• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroncoSexyDaddy View Post
    500-year-old book surfaces in Utah

The Associated Press
    Monday, April 25, 2011 1:05 PM EDT

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Book dealer Ken Sanders has seen a lot of nothing in his decades appraising "rare" finds pulled from attics and basements, storage sheds and closets.

Sanders, who occasionally appraises items for PBS's Antiques Roadshow, often employs "the fine art of letting people down gently."

But on a recent Saturday while volunteering at a fundraiser for the small town museum in Sandy, Utah, just south of Salt Lake, Sanders got the surprise of a lifetime.

"Late in the afternoon, a man sat down and started unwrapping a book from a big plastic sack, informing me he had a really, really old book and he thought it might be worth some money," he said. "I kinda start, oh boy, I've heard this before."

Then he produced a tattered, partial copy of the 500-year-old Nuremberg Chronicle.

The German language edition printed by Anton Koberger and published in 1493 is a world history beginning in biblical times. It's considered to be one of the earliest and most lavishly illustrated books produced after Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press and revolutionized publishing.

"I was just absolutely astounded. I was flabbergasted, particularly here in the interior West," Sanders said. "We might see a lot of rare Mormon books and other treasures, but you don't expect to see a five centuries old book, you don't expect to see one of the oldest printed books in the world pop up in Sandy, Utah."

The book's owner has declined to be identified, but Sanders said it was passed down to the man by his great uncle and had been just gathering dust in his attic for decades.

Because of the cotton bond paper it was printed on, not wood pulp paper like most present-day works, Sanders said the remaining pages have been well-preserved albeit literally coming apart at the seams

"Barring further calamity or disaster, it will last another 500 years," he said.

And Sanders is certain it's not a fake.

"It passes the smell test," he said. "I'm not sure there's ever been a forger born who is ambitious enough to hand-create a five centuries old book in a manner sufficient enough to fool people".
    That's amazing. The US usually just doesn't have stuff like this.

Comment

• What Are You Reading?

I'm just curious. I'm thinking about reading some new books and I need some suggestions. I liked the Da Vinchi Code but I never found the time to get all the way through it.

I'm into thrillers, political auto-biographies, inspirational stories, and basically any clean books that are horror. I will read a good Stephen King book every now and then, but not too often b/c that stuff gets in your head lol.

I enjoyed Grisham, I read the Bible.... um... I enjoy the Artemis Fowl series, LOTR (favorite series of all time) Harry Potter, Eragon... etc.

I've read some Glenn Beck/Rush Limbaugh/Hannity books but I'm not really in the mood for political books to much anymore.

Right now I want a series that I can latch on to. Something like LoTR. Something cool like that, but less wordy if you catch my drift.

That was the one thing I didn't like about Tolkien. Oh, speaking of Tolkien I also enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia series. I read them all except for the Last Battle (the final book) which was a pain in the butt for me to finish.

So what are some of your favorite books your reading?
      sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

• http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=163825

Comment

• Currently, I'm reading a post by BroncoFan! pretty enthralling stuff!
          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• I recently finished this:

Great book! At times I couldn't stop laughing!

My only problem was that at times, it was simply reading Pride and Prejudice without the Zombies and frankly, it was drudgery trying to get through it.

Currently I've been reading:

It's more of a teen book so it's a pretty easy read, especially after the last one.

It's a sci-fi novel set in a future where at the age of 16, everyone is surgically made beautiful.

Great book so far. There's a whole series of this by Scott Westerfeld. Next one is Pretties followed by some others I can't remember. I assume they are sequels set in the same futuristic world.

Comment

• Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
              Currently I've been reading:

It's more of a teen book so it's a pretty easy read, especially after the last one.

It's a sci-fi novel set in a future where at the age of 16, everyone is surgically made beautiful.

Great book so far. There's a whole series of this by Scott Westerfeld. Next one is Pretties followed by some others I can't remember. I assume they are sequels set in the same futuristic world.
              I read that series a while ago and I really did enjoy them. I got so into it that I read the second book in one day. It's not a great accomplishment considering it's an easy read but it shows how hooked it can get you

I've been trying to find a book to read to keep me thinking. I've considered some stuff from philosophers but i'm just not sure if I want to get that crazy.

I just finished Animal Farm for the 3rd time so I need something new
              sigpic
              Thank you Charger$

Comment

• Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
                I read that series a while ago and I really did enjoy them. I got so into it that I read the second book in one day. It's not a great accomplishment considering it's an easy read but it shows how hooked it can get you

I've been trying to find a book to read to keep me thinking. I've considered some stuff from philosophers but i'm just not sure if I want to get that crazy.

I just finished Animal Farm for the 3rd time so I need something new
                I'm not a fast reader by any means, and at times I get caught up with other things and can't get back to a book for several days, yet I've read half of Uglies in about a week!

If you're looking for a thinking book, and haven't read it already, I highly recommend:

It's amazing how relevant a 2500 year old book from China is in today's world... and not just from a military standpoint.

Comment

• Book you don't want to put down, I'm reading it for leisurely puposes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jetrazor74 View Post
                    I'm not a fast reader by any means, and at times I get caught up with other things and can't get back to a book for several days, yet I've read half of Uglies in about a week!

If you're looking for a thinking book, and haven't read it already, I highly recommend:

It's amazing how relevant a 2500 year old book from China is in today's world... and not just from a military standpoint.
                    That's one i've really wanted to read for sometime. I'm definately going to have to pick it up when I get the chance.

The Republic is one I also need to get
                    sigpic
                    Thank you Charger$

Comment

• Beowulf, a Norton Critical Edition with afterword and criticism by several authors, including J.R.R. Tolkien.
                      Kenny McKinley: Eleven Forever.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Notre Dame Football: The T Formation by Frank Leahy (New York: Prentice-Hall, 1949)
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Ok, so I'm testing out my Kindle app for my phone with...

How Football Explains America.
                          :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                          Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• Souls in the Hands of a Tender God - It's a book about mental health chaplaincy to the homeless.
                            Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                            FF is awesome!

Comment

• Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
                              Right now I want a series that I can latch on to. Something like LoTR. Something cool like that, but less wordy if you catch my drift.

That was the one thing I didn't like about Tolkien. Oh, speaking of Tolkien I also enjoyed the Chronicles of Narnia series. I read them all except for the Last Battle (the final book) which was a pain in the butt for me to finish.

So what are some of your favorite books your reading?
                              Series I've enjoyed in the past:

Raymond E. Feist - Magician & all that follows in the world of Midkemia. Pug is one of my favorite fantasy characters of all time.

George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series.

L.E. Modesitt, Jr. - Recluce Series.

Steven R. Donaldson - Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
                              Originally posted by Broncoholic3233
                              FF is awesome!

Comment

• I just finished "Anatomy of a Murder". Outstanding book and story. Written in 1959 by Robert Traver (actually John D. Voelker ) John was a lawyer who was eventually appointed the 74th justice of the Michigan Supreme Court. It is a novel based on a true story.

Great read!
                                Been in love with the Broncos since 1960!
                                sigpic
                                I was 9 years old .... I hear the thunder again!

Tebow Army number 69
                                Adoptees: thatkidhunt, Peanut, CanDB, Gatorgirl (so far)

Democracy.. Is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ... Is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                                X