No announcement yet.

What books are you reading currently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a gigantic Doctor Who fan and Neil Gaiman has written several of my favorite episodes of the show. I decided it was about time I pick up a few of his books. I'm starting out with The Ocean at the End of the Lane, from there I'll probably move on to American Gods or Neverwhere. He seems like a pretty good writer thus far. It's a little less sci fi/fantasy than what I normally read (his common theme seems to be modern mythical beings) so much of it is set in a modern setting, but he is good at keeping your attention thus far. I'm about 6 chapters into The Ocean at the End of the Lane.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
      So I am still reading the Halo book as I took a break from Biolife which in turn means I took a break from reading lol.

But for any Sanderson Fans out there (Frey I'm looking at you). But on the 18th of December he released some news about his the Mistborn series. Alloy of Law was the first book of the second series, and he let it known their will be 4 books with Wax and Wayne. The Alloy of Law and a trilogy. And lucky for us Sanderson is a machine and will have the next 2 books out at the end of 2015 and early 2016.

Now hopefully he left himself some time to get the next stormlight archive done in there but I noticed I have a couple of books I need to read still. His next book in the Reckoners came out so I will read that and one of his short stories invovling the cosmere has been released by itself. (Was orginally part of a anthology) And sounds like the other short story that was in another of an anothology they just have to wait for the contract to run out before they can republish that one.
      How does that man A. pump out so many books and B. pump out so many extreme quality books.

I've never seen a man who can write as good as he does in as much quantity as he does. I'm not even sure he is human...
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
        How does that man A. pump out so many books and B. pump out so many extreme quality books.

I've never seen a man who can write as good as he does in as much quantity as he does. I'm not even sure he is human...
        well it sounds like he wrote the third wax and Wayne book to get himself back into the world and went back and did the second one leaving him with two first drafts. I think I'm going to have to go with the theory on his 17th shard forums and say there must be sandersonbots writing for him. Only possible answer.

Adopted Broncos:
        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
        Adopted posters:
        Everyone

Comment

• Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
          well it sounds like he wrote the third wax and Wayne book to get himself back into the world and went back and did the second one leaving him with two first drafts. I think I'm going to have to go with the theory on his 17th shard forums and say there must be sandersonbots writing for him. Only possible answer.
          Well and on top of that he's started pre-writing Stormlight 3 which means for him that it'll be done in a month or two lol.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
            Well and on top of that he's started pre-writing Stormlight 3 which means for him that it'll be done in a month or two lol.
            than starts the year long process of editors going over it. But the mist born movie rights open up in February.

Adopted Broncos:
            (2011-2013) Eric Decker
            (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
            (2019-Current) Drew Lock
            Adopted posters:
            Everyone

Comment

• Finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane, good book (though sadly short...) Moving on to American Gods also by Neil Gaiman.
              sigpic

Comment

• Just read a sample "Chapter" from Stormlight Archieve Book 3. I put chapter in quotes because it didn't seem like a full chapter as it wasn't very long. But now it makes me want to go reread the other 2 books but book 3 is still like a year and a half away lol. So no point doing the reread yet until closer to release.

Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

Comment

• The wife and I just started the Scorch Trials which is the second book in the Maze Runner series.

I gotta say it's an interesting plot but I don't really care for the guys writing style. I don't read a ton so maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. But I have never seen so many 1 word sentences in all my life. Instead of using commas or ... for pauses. And sometimes he just spaces the words out from each other like this. So annoying.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Just finished reading firefight which is book 2 of the reckoners. And once again brandon continued to impress. I thought the premise of this series would make it difficult to have any logical reasoning behind it to keep it tied together but as the series unfolds it reveals more of the picture and you can see that there is a rhyme and reason behind it.

The basis is pretty much an event happened and people started developing super powers and with these powers they become corrupt and become tyrants and varying levels of powers separate them. These super powered people are called epics and a group of non epics try to find their weaknesses to take them down.

It is more dirrected towards the young adult crowd but if you enjoy a good story involving super villians I would recommend this series but book 3 I believe is scheduled for 2016. And since he has a pair of books slated for the end of this year and early 2016 I think book 3 will probably be fall of 2016. And hopefully after that sanderson can finish up book 3 of the stormlight archives.

Just started another book by sanderson called the rithmatist.

Edit*

So after reading around on his site I was wrong about the date for the 3rd reckoners book. It is slated for Spring of 2016 so sooner than I predicted and the mistborn books are slated for October 2015 and January 2016, and the third stormlight archieve book hitting in Fall of 2016.
                    Last edited by #87Birdman; 02-09-2015, 12:15 PM.

Adopted Broncos:
                    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                    Adopted posters:
                    Everyone

Comment

• Read a little bit that Sanderson released on the 3rd stormlight archieve. Gave a different POV for a scene early in WoR. Pretty decent read.

The rithmatist is unique and interesting. I would say this might be Sandersons most unique magic system that I have read. And might be the strangest but it retains rules and is actually pretty interesting reading about them. The basis so far is that there are people who can draw with chalk and and use it to attack and create defenses. There are wild chalklings that can kill and these rithmatist are trained to fight this war against them protecting the Isles.

Seems like this story so far takes place in a school setting but it allows him to convey the information about how this system works as it really does seem well thought out. A nd the book had an artist and before every chapter this are some drawings on how some of the defenses are drawn and how the rithmatics are. Plus even in book there are drawings of what the chalklings look like. Pretty interesting so far.

Adopted Broncos:
                      (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                      (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                      (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                      Adopted posters:
                      Everyone

Comment

• Just finished the Rithmatist and it was a very enjoyable book. Like I said earlier it has Brandon's great magic system that is clearly thought out and is impressive to see done throughout the whole book.

A little bit about the story now that i have finished. It is another Young Adult book that mostly takes place in the school setting with a few parts leaving the school but mostly it takes place at the school. It also has some mystery as they to find out why students are going missing and overall it was a very enjoyable read. Book wraps up nicely but leaving enough for a second book to be made.

It also is interesting because it is set in a different reality than we live where it looks like Asia is the dominate power and America is actually flooded or something as everything seems to be isles.

So I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys other Brandon Sanderson works or mystery/fantasy and Young adult. Even those that enjoyed the Harry Potter books may enjoy this one.

Now to figure out my next book. Might look to finish up the last few Brandon Sanderson books that I haven't read yet or I might start a different series that I have on my to read list.

Adopted Broncos:
                        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                        Adopted posters:
                        Everyone

Comment

• Just finished "Sacajawea" by Anna Lee Waldo, every bit of 1300 pages and really hard to put down. Went to work really tired a few mornings on account of this.

I'm a huge fan of history and although we can't authenticate with true accuracy what transpired 200 years ago, Ms. Waldo does a magnificent job of recreating the atmosphere in which the great pioneers toiled to make this great country what it is.

A truly great read. :thumb:
                          [sigpic

Comment

• Who I Am by Pete Townshend
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Half way through "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and enjoying it just as much as "Half a Yellow Sun".
                              My only complaint, the edition I have has tiny print, so I can only read it in daylight!

Comment

• Just finished "Hades" - very good …. thrown off a bit by the ending.

Back to Stephen King again just started "Revival." Found Neil Gaiman has a new book of short fiction, "Trigger Warning," ordered today but haven't started on it.
                                sigpic
                                Adopted Bronco - 2017/18 - Chris Harris Jr. # 25 :nono: to every player he covers
                                Adopted Bronco - 2018/19 - Derek Wolfe
                                Adopted Bronco - 2019/20 - Shelby Harris
                                Adopted Bronco - 2020/21 - Courtland Sutton

Comment

Working...
                                X