No announcement yet.

What books are you reading currently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I finished the Demon Cycle trilogy which than I found out wasn't a trilogy but longer so I bought the fourth book also and the last book isn't supposed to be out for another few years.

They were the Warded Man
    Desert Spear
    The Daylight War
    The Skull Throne

Overall I would give the series a 4 out of 5 stars with the first and fourth book being the better books. The second and third books got bogged down with back stories to other characters and it felt the main story didn't advance to much as the other.

But the story is revolves around the people of this world living in fear of the night as demons raise from the core to attack at night. The defense that they have are wards they use protect themselves. They paint them on post around their property and their homes to protect them at night.

If the wards fail they are usually dead, as there are a wide variety of demons. Overall I have enjoyed the series so far and might go back and read some of the short stories he has written. But I decided to go onto a different book at this time.

That book is blood song and I am getting close to the end of book one of the trilogy. So far it has been a very enjoyable book.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

Comment

• "Under the Radar". It's a book based on the show "Kyle XY".
      "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• So rereading the mistborn trilogy and alloy of law to prepare for the next two mistborn books coming out (early October and late January)

Been awhile since I've read them so well be a good refresher for the universe of Cosmere and Scandrial world.

Adopted Broncos:
        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
        Adopted posters:
        Everyone

Comment

• I'm rereading "Dunc's Halloween". It's one that I loved as I child and still do
          "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

• Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Comment

• Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
              So rereading the mistborn trilogy and alloy of law to prepare for the next two mistborn books coming out (early October and late January)

Been awhile since I've read them so well be a good refresher for the universe of Cosmere and Scandrial world.
              Oh ya! That is out this month huh?
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                Oh ya! That is out this month huh?
                Yeah I forgot how fun the first book was. The Italian job like vibe. Been making some decent pace on it will probably finish the books by mid December allowing me to start the new one and hopefully get to the next one when that comes out.

And when I finish that his final reckoners book comes out in February. I thought that one was hitting late spring but guess I'm wrong on that one lol.

Adopted Broncos:
                (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                Adopted posters:
                Everyone

Comment

• Sicily: An Island At The Crossroads Of History by John Julius Norwich

It's history.

Great Book.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Rock With Wings by Anne Hillerman. A Leaphorn, Chee and Manuelito mystery by Tony's daughter.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• I'm reading Star Wars Aftermath in preparation for The Force Awakens. I'm trying to finish it up before our flight to Wyoming next week and then I'm going to start

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post

I'm reading Star Wars Aftermath in preparation for The Force Awakens. I'm trying to finish it up before our flight to Wyoming next week and then I'm going to start

Just finished the last empire moving on to will of ascension and than hero of ages and alloy of law than I will tackle shadow of self.

But rereading last empire it is amazing the foreshadowing he had. He had something in the first chapter that hinted at what happens in the final chapter of the last book. But hopefully I fly through these books quickly and than I can start on shadow of self.

Adopted Broncos:
                        (2011-2013) Eric Decker
                        (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
                        (2019-Current) Drew Lock
                        Adopted posters:
                        Everyone

Comment

• Just finished Ayn Rand's We The Living (for the 4th time), and started on her Anthem (also for the 4th time).
                          --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

• I am not much of a reader for entertainment, but mostly for research. I was gifted a copy of the first edition of Giants of the Republic, printed in 1895. I am enjoying casually going through it.

I find it interesting how we were a nation that overcame so many difficult challenges only to transcend into a society where everyone gets a trophy and is offended at everything.

My favorite part about reading about history is the contrasts in culture of where we came from and what was important versus where we are now and what is important.

Interesting example, I collect historical currency and some notes from the Colonial era in the late 1700's read right on the note: 'Tis death to counterfeit. If that note was to be on there today, it would read something like: If you counterfeit it is not your fault and we will send you to counseling at the expense of tax-payers to help you work through your problems.

Last edited by Rancid; 10-11-2015, 05:32 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

• At any given point in time I'm reading 3 or 4 books at a minimum. Not sure how normal this is but here are a few of the more memorable one's from the last few months. :thumb:

Pirate Latitudes,Michael Crichton. Just a great read when you need to lose yourself in a well spun Buccaneer tale complete with a Kraken.

The Boys in the Boat, Daniel James Brown. The story of the Washington State rowing team that won the 1936 Olympic gold medal against all odds in Nazi Germany. Set in depression era America the struggle is real, the author captures the hardship as few have.

Ordeal by Hunger, George R. Stewart. The story of the Donner party, most people think this was about cannibalism. It was about bad decisions, poor leadership and ultimately about frontier life and the people who lived through it.

Leaving Las Vegas, John O'Brien. Alcoholism!!!! I absolutely loved this movie, Elisabeth Shue just kills it in this one, Cage isn't bad either. The soundtrack is among the best I've ever heard and in general, it's about those who cling to life and those who just don't want it anymore. Had to read the book to get in their heads, I'm weird that way.

Cadillac Jack, Larry McMurtry. My love affair with Lonesome Dove, or more specifically Diane Lane's character made me want to read a few of Larry's books. Cadillac Jack brings us a taste of Texas flea markets and Washington DC with a healthy dose of eccentricity and lust. So glad I read it. Warning: Takes you back to a time before cell phones.
                              [sigpic

Comment

• Getting close to finishing the new Star Wars Book. Not too bad, if nothing else it's helping to keep me entertaining waiting on it to be december already.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X