The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Road by Cormac McCarthy

I just read this book, as in I read the last words not thirty minutes ago. It may very well be the greatest work of fiction I have ever read.
    Maybe it's because I am a father to a boy roughly the same age as the child in the story, but I have not been as moved by a piece of fiction in any form, in all my life.

The best line in the book IMHO is "if he is not the word of God God never spoke" this was a line the father spoke to himself about his young son. McCarthy is truly a great American author and The Road may just be the great American Novel.

Wow, just wow.

The movie was cool but I cant read.
    sigpic
    photo by my GF...http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by MightyHorse View Post
      The movie was cool but I cant read.
      Shirley you mean 'don't want to' read.

I haven't read this book... but the last book i read was into the wild which i wouldn't really recommend... the last book i read that i'd recommend is clockwork orange. (READ it... not movie)

Comment

[QUOTE=12and4;3323756]
        Shirley you mean 'don't want to' read.

And dont call me Shirley.

the last book i read that i'd recommend is clockwork orange. (READ it... not movie)
        This is one of the few books I couldnt finish. It took me 2 hours to make it through the first chapter and that was as far as I got. I absolutely could not wrap my head around the cockney slang...I would have had an easier time reading braille.
        sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

[QUOTE=McSmashie;3323779]
          Originally posted by 12and4 View Post

And dont call me Shirley.

This is one of the few books I couldnt finish. It took me 2 hours to make it through the first chapter and that was as far as I got. I absolutely could not wrap my head around the cockney slang...I would have had an easier time reading braille.
          Oh man by the end of the book you can speak russian lol.

Half the words i already knew because i'm armenian and we mix our words with russian sometimes... but others grew on me.

It's a great book man, i'd recommend finishing that.

You can download a list of translations for the book that have all the slang translated for you and it'll help.

Oh and i'm glad you got my airplanes joke. lol

Comment

Working...
          X