Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lord of the Rings Online

I'm not sure if any of you knew or not but it used to be Pay 2 Play and it's going to a free 2 play model with microtransactions/the option of p2p. It doesn't actually happen until later in the year but it's in closed beta and I just got in today, just curious if anyone else from the boards was in the beta or trying to get in?
    sigpic

I knew it was going sorta F2P and I was gonna check it out when it releases, but I'm in no rush to do it.

Sadly, I actually still play Runescape for my MMORPG fix

Comment

I used to play, I stopped because I didn't have time, but mull a return.

Used to be Turbine right? But now I hear *free.* It was an awesome online though. I think it still is.

Any idea what has changed, or are you new to it?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
        I knew it was going sorta F2P and I was gonna check it out when it releases, but I'm in no rush to do it.

Sadly, I actually still play Runescape for my MMORPG fix
        Runescape hasn't been good in about 5 years. I quit playing a long time ago.

Jagex lost all their players due to the stupid changes that they made. Now they have to resort to making a whole new game, called Mechscape, it's a Sci-Fi game.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post

Jagex lost all their players due to the stupid changes that they made. Now they have to resort to making a whole new game, called Mechscape, it's a Sci-Fi game.
          Agree. I used to play Runescape 5 years ago, I played for three years, did pretty much all you could do, had pretty much everything, and quit from boredom and some of the lame changes.
          sigpic

Comment

Stupid changes? I think all the changes they made were good ones. Got rid of 95% of the retarded botters and PKing is very similar to how it used to be with PK worlds where anybody can attack anybody.

Comment

Stupid changes? I think all the changes they made were good ones. Got rid of 95% of the retarded botters and PKing is very similar to how it used to be with PK worlds where anybody can attack anybody.
              Getting rid of PKing in the first place, is what made them lose most of their players. I pretty much had it, after they changed the whole trade system thing, and got rid of Drop trade

PK was my favorite part of the game, and then you had a limit to how much you could trade or give away. It was just crap...

Not only that, it was really boring, unless you were P2P, which I was for several months, then everything just got stale and repetitive IMO.

Jagex really screwed up, and by the time they realized that, it was too late, everyone stopped playing.

Sadly I never got to finish using my Crystal Bow, which was a pain to get. :shake:
              Last edited by Amari24; 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Getting rid of PKing in the first place, is what made them lose most of their players. I pretty much had it, after they changed the whole trade system thing, and got rid of Drop trade

PK was my favorite part of the game, and then you had a limit to how much you could trade or give away. It was just crap...

Not only that, it was really boring, unless you were P2P, which I was for several months, then everything just got stale and repetitive IMO.

Jagex really screwed up, and by the time they realized that, it was too late, everyone stopped playing.

Sadly I never got to finish using my Crystal Bow, which was a pain to get. :shake:
                Everybody stopped playing? When? There's regularly 200k people still playing during peak hours. Right now there are 154k playing. That's as much if not more than used to play back then.

Comment

Everybody stopped playing? When? There's regularly 200k people still playing during peak hours. Right now there are 154k playing. That's as much if not more than used to play back then.
                  No way, I remember back in like 2003-2005, there were way more than that.

There would be about 1 million players on a daily bases, it would make that 200k look like a joke. Most people quit after they got rid of PK.

Comment

No way, I remember back in like 2003-2005, there were way more than that.

There would be about 1 million players on a daily bases, it would make that 200k look like a joke. Most people quit after they got rid of PK.
                    Definitely not 1 million at a time. Maybe 1 million individual users logged in across a day, but not a million at once. There weren't enough servers back then, and they have only continued to add since then. Maximum capacity is 340k right now.

The official number I always heard floated around was about 60k members quit, and 90k total players quit.

Comment

Definitely not 1 million at a time. Maybe 1 million individual users logged in across a day, but not a million at once. There weren't enough servers back then, and they have only continued to add since then. Maximum capacity is 340k right now.

The official number I always heard floated around was about 60k members quit, and 90k total players quit.
                      Yeah that's what I ment, of course not on at the same time, but full worlds in F2P and P2P, were very common, and not just World 1 & 2. But every day, it was said that at least 1 million people would log in and play, that's including Members to. This was about 7 years ago though.

Comment

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
                        I used to play, I stopped because I didn't have time, but mull a return.

Used to be Turbine right? But now I hear *free.* It was an awesome online though. I think it still is.

Any idea what has changed, or are you new to it?
                        I'd only just played like a 7 day trial or something previously but it seems pretty fun, I didn't realize though that it's really closer in gameplay to guildwars than say wow or other rpg's

*edit*....nevermind it only seemed like guildwars until I leveled some more and realized it's more open world than I had seen previously.
                        Last edited by Freyaka; 07-25-2010, 01:27 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah that's what I ment, of course not on at the same time, but full worlds in F2P and P2P, were very common, and not just World 1 & 2. But every day, it was said that at least 1 million people would log in and play, that's including Members to. This was about 7 years ago though.
                          Well I wouldn't be surprised if it stays around that number now. There are hundreds of worlds, much more than there used to be, and many of them stay full or are really really close all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                            I'd only just played like a 7 day trial or something previously but it seems pretty fun, I didn't realize though that it's really closer in gameplay to guildwars than say wow or other rpg's

*edit*....nevermind it only seemed like guildwars until I leveled some more and realized it's more open world than I had seen previously.
                            That's good, I really should get back to it, I had a lot of fun.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post
                              That's good, I really should get back to it, I had a lot of fun.
                              I just wondered into the shire withe my dwarf today, it made my inner nerd happy! I just hit level 13 and I gotta say for a free game seems pretty decent so far.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X