Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Wars going 3D beginning in 2012

http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s..._3D_134078.asp

News just broke tonight about the long-awaited 3D release of the Star Wars movies. The USA Today reports that Lucasfilm is getting ready to bring this project to life:

"Lucasfilm has decided to reprocess the series into that format and release the films in theaters again, starting in 2012 with the 1999 prequel The Phantom Menace. It's only one-sixth of the news that Star Wars fans have been waiting to hear, but it's the first step toward converting the other prequels and original trilogy."

ILM visual effects supervisor John Knoll is overseeing the project, and Lucasfilm is quick to point out that the 2012 mark for TPM is approximate. No timeline has been set for the 3D release of the other five movies.
    Im not a big fan of converting a non-3D movie to 3D (case in point, Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland), but if anyone can pull it off, ILM should be able to.
    sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

10 char....oh wait.
    sigpic

"Maybe if he had an iron suit or a magic hammer...."

Comment

Originally posted by McSmashie View Post
      http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s..._3D_134078.asp

Im not a big fan of converting a non-3D movie to 3D (case in point, Clash of the Titans and Alice in Wonderland), but if anyone can pull it off, ILM should be able to.
      OMG!! I will be able to die after watching this!
      I really like Cheese.

Comment

Milking the franchise, George Lucas is.

So we have to suffer through the first three before we get to the ones that count?

Comment

:facepalm:

he should probably actually make other stuff... oh wait...he's a crappy director.

also i guess when you've been making millions on your first big hit for what...40 years... why even do anything else.

but good grief...
          sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I'll go see it... I have no problem with it...

But my expectations about the conversion aren't that high.

It's a bit sooner than I expected, really.

Comment

I waited years for George Lucas to release the original movies on VHS (that's a video tape for some of you youngins), and that didn't happen until like 1996, then on DVD and he finally did in 2004. Then came blue ray and you think he'd release them on that format? Not until 2011. Now we'll be waiting years for these versions to all be done and by the time they get released for home viewing I'll be 50. Not to mention all of the different versions and packages of the releases. I'll give him this, he knows how to get the most from his work.
              Last edited by Biggregb; 09-29-2010, 07:33 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Why the hell does everything have to be in 3D these days? Who the hell cares about watching stuff in 3D? We've been watching movies for decades without it. It's not needed, give it a rest.

Comment

So I have to pay $16 for a nap?

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                    Why the hell does everything have to be in 3D these days? Who the hell cares about watching stuff in 3D? We've been watching movies for decades without it. It's not needed, give it a rest.
                    because apparently Hollywood thinks movie goers want to feel like they're actually in the movie and on a carnival ride i guess.

for years they've been gearing up to convert to 3D... i just hoped they would be smarter about it. because we all know it's important to watch stuff like "Couples Retreat" in 3D or whatever.

i'm with you though... most of the time it kills the movie completely. it only works for stuff like Avatar (and basically is the ONLY reason to see Avatar).

but that movie and a couple before it pave the way and Hollywood does know, however, that most of the movie going mob are idiots and they actually DO pay the extra change to see something in 3D even if it wasn't even filmed in 3D.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

Working...
                    X