Ps3 ylod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ps3 ylod

A couple of weeks ago I go to turn on my ps3 and it starts to beep a few times, then the green light turns yellow and it shuts down and stats flashing red and won't power up. I have the Yellow Light of Death! I hadn't even played it for a while but I think my son did and left it on too long. The console is long past the warranty period and Sony wants 150 bucks to send it in and see if they can fix it. I have seen videos on youtube of people showing how to fix it but I'm a little scared to try it. Has anybody else had this happen to them? I don't know what to do. I don't want to shell out 150 bucks but I certainly don't want a 300 dollar doorstop either.
    sigpic

If you tinker with that machine at all, Sony won't touch it.

Decide if it's worth it to send it in. If not, go ahead and give it a shot. If it is worth sending in (as opposed to buying a new one) then don't screw with it.

You cannot do both. Tinker with it, and it's your problem.

This is an either/or. You can either send it in or you can screw with it.

Frankly, I'd bet on Sony fixing it better than you could - and a new PS3 is more than $150. I'd send it in.

Comment

I've fixed countless Xbox's but I don't have a clue about PS3's so that's really up to you. If you have no experience in such things send it in.

On the other hand right novv you have a 300 dollar door stop. So you can either have a 450 dollar vvorking machine. Or possibly 320 dollar (possibly) vvorking machine.

Alastor is probably right. He's a smart guy.
      sigpic
      2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
        I've fixed countless Xbox's but I don't have a clue about PS3's so that's really up to you. If you have no experience in such things send it in.

On the other hand right novv you have a 300 dollar door stop. So you can either have a 450 dollar vvorking machine. Or possibly 320 dollar (possibly) vvorking machine.

Alastor is probably right. He's a smart guy.
        I've fixed countless ps3s

If it were me, i'd fix it. It's really simple stuff... straight forward.

Just pop that thing open, expose the mobo, clean up the thermal paste, get your heat gun out.... Heat up the cpu/gpu for like 5 minutes (front and back, but make sure to let the mobo cool (20 min) before you flip it... NEVER FLIP IT WHILE ITS HOT) All that will do is (hopefully) reball the connections so that they don't mess up anymore.. It's not the best way of doing it, but it sure is the cheapest and easiest.

Anyways, that usually lasts for a good 5-6 months. If you want it permanently fixed, ask a local computer repair shop if they can reball the solder points using their fancy machinery (permanent fix)

Comment

I had this happened to me twice

Well actually, the first time it just didn't want to turn on. It was three years ago around this time. I called Sony and they offered to fix it for free (Outside warranty) and they did.

Second time was three months ago. Playing Red Dead and BOOM it shuts off. I called them and they offered me a trade in for the Slim. I took it and saved some money (It runs so much more efficient too).

I'd call Sony if I were you. What if something goes wrong while you fix it? You'll have to spend 300 to get a new one. Pay the $150 to know it will be fixed right.

Comment

That's why I got the Slim. I heard about a lot of YLOD and laser issues with the original PS3. Messing around with the system voids the warranty, so if you do decide to fix it yourself, keep in mind there will be nothing Sony can do. I say get get another system, specfically a Slim.

Comment

Te

Good advise all of you. The smart thing seems to be sending it in and eating the 150.

12 and 4 do you live in southern Colorado? Cuz I would love nothing more than to have you fix it. I know your in Cali, but still.

Maybe I'll just get a 360 with kinect and send the ps3 in for repairs. Looks like I'll be doing some overtime.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Biggregb View Post
                Good advise all of you. The smart thing seems to be sending it in and eating the 150.

12 and 4 do you live in southern Colorado? Cuz I would love nothing more than to have you fix it. I know your in Cali, but still.

Maybe I'll just get a 360 with kinect and send the ps3 in for repairs. Looks like I'll be doing some overtime.
                nope, socal

yeah the best thing is doing the sure bet.

Comment

My original 60 gig ps3 died as well. Sent it to Sony and they didn't fix mine, just sent me a refurb. He is the kicker though. While I had sent mine in to be "fixed" I bought a slim because I was tired of not being able to play. Well when my refurb came I only used it to play Rock Band since my brother and I have A LOT of downloaded songs. Well this ps3 was played sparingly every month and it too got the YLOD as well. I called up Sony and said I was SOL since they only come with a 3 month warranty which I thought was a bunch of crap. So i sent it in again and did the trade in for a slim option. Still not happy about the whole thing. 150x 2 fixes equals a whole freakin ps3 I could have had that I spent in repairs!
                  sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                    My original 60 gig ps3 died as well. Sent it to Sony and they didn't fix mine, just sent me a refurb. He is the kicker though. While I had sent mine in to be "fixed" I bought a slim because I was tired of not being able to play. Well when my refurb came I only used it to play Rock Band since my brother and I have A LOT of downloaded songs. Well this ps3 was played sparingly every month and it too got the YLOD as well. I called up Sony and said I was SOL since they only come with a 3 month warranty which I thought was a bunch of crap. So i sent it in again and did the trade in for a slim option. Still not happy about the whole thing. 150x 2 fixes equals a whole freakin ps3 I could have had that I spent in repairs!
                    See that's the type of scenario I'm trying to avoid. The actual 150 isn't necessarily the problem, it's the fact that if I spend a little more I can just get a new system. I guess I'm just worried that a referb is just going to do the same thing. Are the slims any better when it comes to overheating and YLOD problems?
                    sigpic

Comment

It happened to my friend about 6 months ago. He didn't want to send it in so he just opened it and fixed it himself. It lasted about 3 months the first time, then like 3 weeks the second time, and now it gets him like a couple hours before it dies. He's just gonna play his 360 and save up enough money for a new PS3.

Morale of the story is repairing it yourself just means you're delaying the process of buying a new one, which you're gonna have to do eventually. I'd go ahead and send it to get legit fixed and throw a hissy fit if they give you a refurb.

Comment

Originally posted by Biggregb View Post
                        See that's the type of scenario I'm trying to avoid. The actual 150 isn't necessarily the problem, it's the fact that if I spend a little more I can just get a new system. I guess I'm just worried that a referb is just going to do the same thing. Are the slims any better when it comes to overheating and YLOD problems?
                        They can still get them like any ps3 but the chances are a lot lower. They run cooler so are less likely to get it. From what I understand the YLOD happens because some gel on one of the processing chips fails and the chip is not longer connected to the motherboard.
                        sigpic

2013,2014, and 2015 Adopt a Bronco: Champ Bailey, Marvin Austin and Matt Paradis

Comment

Originally posted by roushmartin6 View Post
                          They can still get them like any ps3 but the chances are a lot lower. They run cooler so are less likely to get it. From what I understand the YLOD happens because some gel on one of the processing chips fails and the chip is not longer connected to the motherboard.
                          The Slim's also use less energy, and have a lower chance of overheating as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X