Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody seen the Human Centipede?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anybody seen the Human Centipede?

    If you haven't, I advise you don't. I watched this last night with some friends and outside of Hostel it is by far the worst, most disgusting movie I have ever seen.

  • #2
    No, but I've seem numerous thread posts about it at the forums I visit. It's apparently become symbolic of "purposely vulgar."

    I'm well aware of the particulars.

    Comment


    • #3
      Sometimes producers just don't get it.

      Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs: Scary.

      Hannibal Lector in Red Dragon (or whatever it was called): Gross.

      Gross is not scary. It's just gross. Vulgar is not scary. It's just vulgar.

      Scary is psychological, the rest is just behavioral.

      Hostel is a great example of that as well. Gross does not mean scary. It just doesn't.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Alastor View Post
        Sometimes producers just don't get it.

        Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs: Scary.

        Hannibal Lector in Red Dragon (or whatever it was called): Gross.

        Gross is not scary. It's just gross. Vulgar is not scary. It's just vulgar.

        Scary is psychological, the rest is just behavioral.

        Hostel is a great example of that as well. Gross does not mean scary. It just doesn't.
        you're spot on on this. this is why "horror" movies of late have lost a lot of their lore. Horror movies used to be just that, horrifying or at least scary or make you think.

        although i think Red Dragon was miles above Hannibal. but yeah both of those seemed to go the way of Gross instead of messing with your mind.

        this is a lot of the reason i don't enjoy the horror genre. i just don't want to watch a bunch of blood and guts. even Saw suffers from this. they've made it all bloody, repulsive and vulgar but only the first Saw movie had a real tense psychological aspect. i felt like i was trying to solve a riddle the whole movie and that was the best part about the movie. all the sequels have just got this Hostel feel (and very little of the Riddle... we already know the killer etc).

        i'm getting really tired of Hollywood's laziness and penny-pinching. they belch out these terrible excuses for scary movies like they're on an assembly line because they're cheap and easy and quick to make and they know a bunch of middle schoolers will spend their parents' money to watch them. (course i suppose i'd do the same thing).

        but if they're going to do that they could at least make GOOD scary movies....that are actually scary.
        sigpic

        DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RealBronco View Post
          you're spot on on this. this is why "horror" movies of late have lost a lot of their lore. Horror movies used to be just that, horrifying or at least scary or make you think.

          although i think Red Dragon was miles above Hannibal. but yeah both of those seemed to go the way of Gross instead of messing with your mind.

          this is a lot of the reason i don't enjoy the horror genre. i just don't want to watch a bunch of blood and guts. even Saw suffers from this. they've made it all bloody, repulsive and vulgar but only the first Saw movie had a real tense psychological aspect. i felt like i was trying to solve a riddle the whole movie and that was the best part about the movie. all the sequels have just got this Hostel feel (and very little of the Riddle... we already know the killer etc).

          i'm getting really tired of Hollywood's laziness and penny-pinching. they belch out these terrible excuses for scary movies like they're on an assembly line because they're cheap and easy and quick to make and they know a bunch of middle schoolers will spend their parents' money to watch them. (course i suppose i'd do the same thing).

          but if they're going to do that they could at least make GOOD scary movies....that are actually scary.
          You're right about the Saw movies. The first was a bit scary. I saw the 2nd and refused to watch any of the rest. I say exactly what Alastor said about horro movies to my friends and they just don't get it. They think seeing someone being shoved into a well of needles is scary. They don't realize it's just gross when you see all the needles stuck in the person. That's not scary it's just plain gross.
          sigpic
          2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

          Comment


          • #6
            I thought Paranormal Activity was a good scary movie. It absolutely terrified my girlfriend The second was good, but not as good as the original.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
              I thought Paranormal Activity was a good scary movie. It absolutely terrified my girlfriend The second was good, but not as good as the original.
              What parts of Paranormal Activity were scary? I'm asking because I didn't see the whole thing as I left the theater within 15 minutes...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                What parts of Paranormal Activity were scary? I'm asking because I didn't see the whole thing as I left the theater within 15 minutes...
                Probably the worst scene is when Katy gets drug down the hallway.

                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0pdqUvKi0

                I wasn't so much scared by it as I just thought it was a really well done (the shadow on the door was a good idea) and thought out scene. It got my girlfriend really badly though. The sound isn't as good on youtube as it is in a theater though (duh), and honestly, I thought the sound was 90% of the scare in the movie.

                Comment


                • #9
                  i actually liked hostel
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jaycuthroat View Post
                    i actually liked hostel
                    I found that movie to be terrible.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i didnt see it but i saw the trailer and it looked really cheesy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I've heard about it. I wonder if any of the actors knew what exactly they were signing on for
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I don't mind Hostel. Thought it was ok. I don't consider it to be a "scary" movie whatsoever. Personally, I consider Hostel to be a modern-day reimagining of "The Most Dangerous Game". But, that is just me.

                          As for the "Human Centipede", never seen it. Heard about it, read about it. I wouldn't waste a second of my life watching that movie. A bad guy whose life-long ambition is to fuse different people together. Yea ... not my thing. I'd rather read an interesting book than waste my time with that.

                          As for the Lecter series, I love all of them but the "Prequel". That film was just bad. Red Dragon was awesome, I'm glad they remade "Manhunter" with Anthony Hopkins in the role of Lecter as opposed to Brian Cox in the original (he is a good actor, but that role just wasn't him).
                          The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

                          The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X