Best Looking Movies on Blu-Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    My wife wants to get a new HD tv for Tax Returns (we have an old 32 CRT hd tv but it's just not the greatest picture)

I'm trying to talk her into getting a PS3 along with it as a blu-ray player but she doesn't want to because she thinks I'll just play more video games....(I hate it when my purchase suggestions break down over things like that becase she's 100% right....)
    That was my reason for getting a PS3.
    Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
      I was going to post Sound of Music -- the recent transfer is stunning in color and resolution.

The recent Star Trek reboot.
      Originally posted by BroncoFanNC View Post
      Transformers 1 if you can get past Megan Fox's acting. (Crank up the surround and sub-woofer, enjoy!)

Not a movie, but Planet Earth series from discovery channel, ABSOLUTELY STUNNING.
      Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
      The Dark Knight, Iron Man 1&2, Inception, and The Pacific (HBO Special) look extremely good on blu ray.
      man can't believe i forgot Star Trek, Transformers and Inception. all amazing.
      sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

I bet Scott Pilgrim VS the World would be super badass.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
          I bet Scott Pilgrim VS the World would be super badass.
          It wasnt all that impressive, sadly.
          sigpic

I adopt andrewmlb.

Comment

Monsters Inc. By Far

Star Trek was WAY COOL!
            :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic

Comment

I might get killed for this, but the only time I can tell the difference between a BR and a DVD played on the BR player, is when I'm watching anything animated.
              Bring Back ORANGE Sunday!!!

Tim Tebow combines the intensity of Ray Lewis with the throwing ability of... Ray Lewis.

"It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word."-Andrew Jackson

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncojuan View Post
                I might get killed for this, but the only time I can tell the difference between a BR and a DVD played on the BR player, is when I'm watching anything animated.
                You haven't watched it on the right tv.

Comment

I can't wait for Star Wars. I hope the Beatles films get the Blu (meanie) Ray treatment.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncojuan View Post
                    most people can't.

it helps to have a trained eye.
                    sigpic

Comment

Do the older movies really look that much better on Blu Ray?
                      :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                      Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
                        Do the older movies really look that much better on Blu Ray?
                        depends on the movie. i could tell with Top Gun, but a more recent movie, Independence Day was converted over poorly.

that's really what it boils down to. the conversion.
                        sigpic

Comment

For a TV show to TRULY be Hi Def it needs to be shot, broadcast, recieved and (obviously) viewed in HD. Same with Blu Ray, all older movies are "upconverted" so as RB says it all depends on the conversion.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                            For a TV show to TRULY be Hi Def it needs to be shot, broadcast, recieved and (obviously) viewed in HD. Same with Blu Ray, all older movies are "upconverted" so as RB says it all depends on the conversion.
                            That's not entirely accurate -- theatrical movies have almost always been shot on analog film where the grain size is finer than even blu-ray. Those old black and white reels contain enough resolution information to exceed even blu-ray. It's not an "upconversion."

But it is true that it all comes down to the quality of the conversion. If somebody just takes an existing DVD print and makes a blu-ray, it won't be better. But if they re-master from the original film, blu-ray can be breathtakingly better.

The Sound of Music is a good example of this. Anybody that can't see the difference there may as well get a seeing eye dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                              That's not entirely accurate -- theatrical movies have almost always been shot on analog film where the grain size is finer than even blu-ray. Those old black and white reels contain enough resolution information to exceed even blu-ray. It's not an "upconversion."

But it is true that it all comes down to the quality of the conversion. If somebody just takes an existing DVD print and makes a blu-ray, it won't be better. But if they re-master from the original film, blu-ray can be breathtakingly better.

The Sound of Music is a good example of this. Anybody that can't see the difference there may as well get a seeing eye dog.
                              My wife loves "The Sound of Music". Where would I find it on Blue Ray?
                              sigpic
                              Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                                My wife loves "The Sound of Music". Where would I find it on Blue Ray?
                                You could get on Amazon, just make sure you get this new 45th Anniversary edition that came out in November:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Three-Di...5966335&sr=1-1

It has the "3 disc" version, which means you also get a DVD copy in the package (handy for car or the bedroom or kids room or something).

They probably have it at Wal-Mart -- that's where I got mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X