Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Our newest one Night At The Museum 2 was pretty awesome.

Leave a comment:

• McSmashie
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    Do the older movies really look that much better on Blu Ray?
    The new transfer they did for 5 disc edition Bladerunner looks amazing.

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    I know for sure that the Bourne series looks badass in bluray

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Thanks Jay-

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    My wife loves "The Sound of Music". Where would I find it on Blue Ray?
    You could get on Amazon, just make sure you get this new 45th Anniversary edition that came out in November:

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Three-Di...5966335&sr=1-1

It has the "3 disc" version, which means you also get a DVD copy in the package (handy for car or the bedroom or kids room or something).

They probably have it at Wal-Mart -- that's where I got mine.

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
    That's not entirely accurate -- theatrical movies have almost always been shot on analog film where the grain size is finer than even blu-ray. Those old black and white reels contain enough resolution information to exceed even blu-ray. It's not an "upconversion."

But it is true that it all comes down to the quality of the conversion. If somebody just takes an existing DVD print and makes a blu-ray, it won't be better. But if they re-master from the original film, blu-ray can be breathtakingly better.

The Sound of Music is a good example of this. Anybody that can't see the difference there may as well get a seeing eye dog.
    My wife loves "The Sound of Music". Where would I find it on Blue Ray?

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by Southstander View Post
    For a TV show to TRULY be Hi Def it needs to be shot, broadcast, recieved and (obviously) viewed in HD. Same with Blu Ray, all older movies are "upconverted" so as RB says it all depends on the conversion.
    That's not entirely accurate -- theatrical movies have almost always been shot on analog film where the grain size is finer than even blu-ray. Those old black and white reels contain enough resolution information to exceed even blu-ray. It's not an "upconversion."

But it is true that it all comes down to the quality of the conversion. If somebody just takes an existing DVD print and makes a blu-ray, it won't be better. But if they re-master from the original film, blu-ray can be breathtakingly better.

The Sound of Music is a good example of this. Anybody that can't see the difference there may as well get a seeing eye dog.

Leave a comment:

• Southstander
    replied
    For a TV show to TRULY be Hi Def it needs to be shot, broadcast, recieved and (obviously) viewed in HD. Same with Blu Ray, all older movies are "upconverted" so as RB says it all depends on the conversion.

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    depends on the movie. i could tell with Top Gun, but a more recent movie, Independence Day was converted over poorly.

that's really what it boils down to. the conversion.

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy180
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RealBronco
    replied
    Originally posted by broncojuan View Post
    I might get killed for this, but the only time I can tell the difference between a BR and a DVD played on the BR player, is when I'm watching anything animated.
    most people can't.

it helps to have a trained eye.

Leave a comment:

• Southstander
    replied
    I can't wait for Star Wars. I hope the Beatles films get the Blu (meanie) Ray treatment.

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    Originally posted by broncojuan View Post
    I might get killed for this, but the only time I can tell the difference between a BR and a DVD played on the BR player, is when I'm watching anything animated.
    You haven't watched it on the right tv.

Leave a comment:

• broncojuan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BroncoManiac_69
    replied
    Monsters Inc. By Far

Star Trek was WAY COOL!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X