Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay3
    replied
    It seems impossible for things to really change, but that's only because we're trapped in time. There was a time when I didn't think XBox could assume the position it has with PS3. I was predisposed to think of Sony as being in the drivers seat. And it was hard to picture Microsoft becoming the "cool" system.

But they offered a system that gave people what they wanted, and people had no problem adopting it. It takes 2 or 3 years, but it happens.

If XBox 360 could have featured blu-ray, it could have gotten bloody.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    I say that because I don't think hardcore gamers are looking to play games like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemonw. They'll be interested in the hot things right no
    Well, yeah, if they just do Zelda, Mario, etc., I don't think it can be said that they "went after hardcore gamers." The whole idea was that they do something to go after them.

I don't think they'll change anybody's mind out there. But there's a constant flow of new gamers from the ranks of the young, and if they had a console that could do all that, and the games were available on it with a good developer community for it, the sky's the limit.

I just think they made the Wii too weak and slow. They're lucky. The price point helped them (so that's part of the decision, and I give them credit). And now they can build on their revived brand. (I considered Nintendo consoles dead after Gamecube).

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    The console I was referring to was no other than the GameCube. I think it was a good console, but Nintendo launched it with no Mario rehashes, no gimmicks, and the PS2 and Xbox basically destroyed it. The GC was a hardcore gamers dream, it had games that made it worth buying like RE:4. Nintendo didn't trying updating their classic IPs until it was too late.

Really? That console seemed like such a joke, such a belated, weak and out of touch effort. I'm surprised it was perceived as an effort to go after hardcore gamers.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
    I don't think they're using the Wii brand name again, but I'm not sure.

Maybe it will look primitive compared to those (sounds a little strong), but my point was they lucked out and the cycle is in their favor. They're saying 2012 for the new Nintendo. It will beat the PS4 to market for sure.
    I only call it Wii 2 because I don't know the official name. Same with the 720, I doubt they'll be called that, but it's just a nickname for now.

Maybe primitive was a little strong, but I don't think it'll look nearly as good as the PS4 and 720 will.

The Wii 2 was confirmed to be released in 2012 no doubt, and it goes back to what I was saying to jcdavey. If Nintendo gets too big of a lead with tons of support, Sony would want to release it earlier than 2014. The learned that mistake by letting Microsoft gain a 2 year lead on them with the PS3. With that said, it's zero chance that they'll release the PS4 in 2012, I'd say 2013 holiday season would be the earliest.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Well, I guess that depends on how hardcore gamers make their decisions. Presumably, they will appreciate things like price, performance, and good games.

Which console was this?

I don't know if it will be those games, or what. Seems like a console could do that. Most of the best games are available on both PS3 and XBox. If the developer support and hardware were there, it would be on all three.

We'll know more after E3 in June. That's what most of the chirping is relating to.
    I say that because I don't think hardcore gamers are looking to play games like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon. They'll be interested in the hot things right now. CoD, GTA, Battlefield, Madden, 2K, Mass Effect, those types of games.

The console I was referring to was no other than the GameCube. I think it was a good console, but Nintendo launched it with no Mario rehashes, no gimmicks, and the PS2 and Xbox basically destroyed it. The GC was a hardcore gamers dream, it had games that made it worth buying like RE:4. Nintendo didn't trying updating their classic IPs until it was too late.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    . I'll also disagree with the notion that they "innovated" or changed how games are played.
    By the way, I must take issue with this. Nintendo has constantly innovated the way games are played. Think about it

1. NES, give it props.
    2. N64 was the first analog thumbstick. It was questioned and even ridiculed at first. Until all games adopted it.
    3. Gameboy itself, give it props.
    4. Nintendo DS, with the touchscreen. At the time, people said there was no need for that second screen of touchscreen. But Nintendo properly saw a whole wealth of opportunities the touchscreen opened up.
    5. Motion controls -- well, you already said you don't motion controls. But as the Xonnect shows, there are still technological possibilities. Many iPhone games use motion and tilting. I think we'll continue to see motion integrated as some part of the experience in games. Not needed for the FPS adventures, but that's only one kind of game.

So yeah, I think they've helped move the ball down the field for games as a whole. I appreciate them doing it. It makes me excited for what they might try to come up with , hit or miss.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    We'll see. I don't think Nintendo has gained enough respect or support from hardcore gamers to release a console for them.
    Well, I guess that depends on how hardcore gamers make their decisions. Presumably, they will appreciate things like price, performance, and good games.

Last time Nintendo tried to appeal to hardcore gamers, they got slapped around by Sony and Microsoft.
    Which console was this?

Unless, Nintendo plans on releasing games like a GTA, CoD, Mass Effect, etc. I think they're just wasting their time.
    I don't know if it will be those games, or what. Seems like a console could do that. Most of the best games are available on both PS3 and XBox. If the developer support and hardware were there, it would be on all three.

We'll know more after E3 in June. That's what most of the chirping is relating to.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    The Wii 2 will look primitive compared to the PS4 and 720.
    I don't think they're using the Wii brand name again, but I'm not sure.

Maybe it will look primitive compared to those (sounds a little strong), but my point was they lucked out and the cycle is in their favor. They're saying 2012 for the new Nintendo. It will beat the PS4 to market for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    I wasn't intending to speculate about Nintendo. I thought it was a given they were going more in the direction of PS3 and XBox 360. The trade rumors have been coming out for months -- they're going after hardcore gamers. The next machine will be quite a load under the hood. They're saying the controllers will include a touchscreen tablet that streams video game content from the console, so that each game will have the action on the mainscreen, and an individual small screen for the player.

It seems like the time is about right for a touchscreen, and console-cyle wise, Nintendo is in a position to do it.

(Which they wouldn't be if they hadn't gone so weak under the hood in the last one -- it's been only 5 years and it seems too undermatched).
    We'll see. I don't think Nintendo has gained enough respect or support from hardcore gamers to release a console for them. It'd be like trying to please a grown man by giving him a barbie doll. Last time Nintendo tried to appeal to hardcore gamers, they got slapped around by Sony and Microsoft.

Unless, Nintendo plans on releasing games like a GTA, CoD, Mass Effect, etc. I think they're just wasting their time.
    Last edited by Amari24; 05-27-2011, 01:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    I do think it makes sense for Nintendo to position itself as the one for young people, women, non-traditional gamers, etc. I just think they shouldn't sacrifice performance and features. It's actually quite laughable that they're this far behind on getting an HD console out there.

And I think XBox 360 and Nintendo will both want Blu ray. People like the idea of that feature.
    The Wii 2 will look primitive compared to the PS4 and 720. Actually, I'm not sure if it will look THAT much better than the PS3 and 360. The fact that Nintendo had to report that it's more powerful than the current gen systems (which should be obvious) leads me to believe that they'll be left behind once again. It's already beyond obvious that the PS4 and 720 will look vastly better than their predecessors, but with Nintendo, they just never earned that reputation, and they'll be left behind once again.

As for Blu Ray, I think it's possible for both systems.

The 720 could actually use triple layer DVD. It holds as much space as Blu Ray, and it'd be the first console to use it. They could still use Blu Ray though, but if they wanted to be different, Triple layer DVD is still sitting there. Or possibly Quad-layer DVD could be an option.
    Last edited by Amari24; 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    I do think it makes sense for Nintendo to position itself as the one for young people, women, non-traditional gamers, etc. I just think they shouldn't sacrifice performance and features. It's actually quite laughable that they're this far behind on getting an HD console out there.

And I think XBox 360 and Nintendo will both want Blu ray. People like the idea of that feature.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    I wasn't intending to speculate about Nintendo. I thought it was a given they were going more in the direction of PS3 and XBox 360. The trade rumors have been coming out for months -- they're going after hardcore gamers. The next machine will be quite a load under the hood. They're saying the controllers will include a touchscreen tablet that streams video game content from the console, so that each game will have the action on the mainscreen, and an individual small screen for the player.

It seems like the time is about right for a touchscreen, and console-cyle wise, Nintendo is in a position to do it.

(Which they wouldn't be if they hadn't gone so weak under the hood in the last one -- it's been only 5 years and it seems too undermatched).

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    The controller is what turns me off..

I heard it will be HUGE, like around twice the size of the 360 controller.

That's a concept art, but all rumors say that it will be just like that or similar, and will be a big controller. Not something you'd want to market towards kids since they have small hands.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Nintendo has always been about gimmicks. Gimmicks don't necessarily mean "innovation". I don't even like Motion controls, which is why I don't like the Wii at all. Apparently the Wii 2 will appeal to Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers, at least according to Nintendo. We'll see, but I'm sticking with Sony and Microsoft. A rehashed updated Mario and Zelda game doesn't warrant a new system at all.
    Well all the rumors going around is that the next console will be using that touchpad controller, and that just sounds like another gimmick to me. Unless they've made some massive developments in touch pad screens they're still nowhere near as accurate and reliable as a typical analog control stick unless they expect you to use something similar to the DS stylus, which just doesn't make any sense to me.

Also like you said, Nintendo needs to come out with some really good new IP's. Five different Mario games, two Zelda games, and a Kirby game every new generation isn't going to cut it for hardcore gamers.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
    God knows how expensive this one will be. Hopefully they'll continue to produce PS3 games throughout my four years at college. 2012 - 2016. Because there's no way I'll be buying a whole new console until I make some money.
    It's not going to be that much...

Sony learned their lesson with the PS3, they won't price the PS4 over $400. If it's 400 bucks I'll be getting one regardless, but I can see them pricing it at that, and cutting it to $350 several months later, and eventually $300.

They know what they're doing this time around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X