X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I agree with what Alastor says. They made out like kings with how this generation went, there's no need to change it. I'll also disagree with the notion that they "innovated" or changed how games are played. Motion controls IMO are not the way of the future, they're just a fun side thing that strongly appeal to younger kids and casual adults. The majority of gamers do not consider the Wii their primary console.
    Nintendo has always been about gimmicks. Gimmicks don't necessarily mean "innovation". I don't even like Motion controls, which is why I don't like the Wii at all. Apparently the Wii 2 will appeal to Hardcore gamers and Casual gamers, at least according to Nintendo. We'll see, but I'm sticking with Sony and Microsoft. A rehashed updated Mario and Zelda game doesn't warrant a new system at all.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    Especially if the next gen consoles get a service like Steam where we can directly download games and content straight to our HDD.

Microsoft and Sony should agree to a service that allows us to download the games on our consoles, and they both get an even percentage of the sales, as well as the company providing the service. I don't mind going out to stores and buying hard copies of the game, but it'd good to have the option of both.

Also I hope the downloads are fast. Games will be getting bigger in size, which will make them slower to download.
    Well there are a ton of downloadable games on 360. Not sure about PS3 since I don't have one, but Xbox Live's games on Demand have a lot of good games on there. I bought and downloaded Operation Flashpoint the other day for $20.

Also, the idea that we've hit a "graphical ceiling" isn't even close to true. Sure we can probably build a static environment with a computer that's really, really close to true life, but if you throw in a 100% dynamic lighting system is will bring the beastliest of beastliest computers to a .0005 FPS crawl. The extent of our dynamic lighting systems right now involve shadows moving around and light being projected off something like a rocket flying through an area will project the light from the flames onto a wall.

In the Witcher 2 they made a huge deal of the idea that their lighting system can handle light shining into a sphere of green glass and then accurately project the green tinted reflection throughout the room. We have a very long way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    I agree with what Alastor says. They made out like kings with how this generation went, there's no need to change it. I'll also disagree with the notion that they "innovated" or changed how games are played. Motion controls IMO are not the way of the future, they're just a fun side thing that strongly appeal to younger kids and casual adults. The majority of gamers do not consider the Wii their primary console.

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    I disagree. Nintendo has made their bread and butter being the "every man" casual gaming console.

They've defined a niche market and they rode it like they stole it.

They'll likely target that same audience again, and employ the same technique that resulted in resounding success last time.

There's a need for "economically sound" gaming systems that are just plain lighthearted and fun. Nintendo nailed it last time. They'll probably do so again.

They don't have to compete with Sony or MicroSoft. People see the Wii as a totally different type of machine and they use it for different purposes. There's a market there and it paid off big for Nintendo last time.

I'd be shocked if they didn't target that same group with the same tactic again. It's a good group, and it's a good tactic.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
    given nintendo's track record with selling recently, i'd say there's a great chance they sell the holy hell out of their next console
    I think that either by luck or genius, Nintendo has gotten their release cycle in a good position.

When they released the Wii, I was afraid they had badly miscalculated in how low-tech the Wii was under the hood (I mean raw computing power, HD, that kind of thing). And really they did. I think they dodged a bullet by once again innovating how games are played and the low price point was needed at that time (people couldn't yet envision how many things a set top box could do like movies and blu ray).

Now, the next Nintendo is obviously needed. And it will be coming at the perfect time to get ahead of PS4 on all the things that are going on.

Doesn't mean it will be better, or beat PS4. Just that Wii allowed Nintendo about 5 or 6 years of relevance to get to this stage. And they seemed to have learned their lesson -- the next Nintendo will be a screamer under the hood, and will do everything.

Leave a comment:

• JaysusCutler
    replied
    God knows how expensive this one will be. Hopefully they'll continue to produce PS3 games throughout my four years at college. 2012 - 2016. Because there's no way I'll be buying a whole new console until I make some money.

Leave a comment:

• LarryDean
    replied
    I believe in the Sony's attention to build its next platform..This also could be well timed news to curve some of the negative publicity from Sony's bread 'n butter..

What I would like to see happen from the major 3 even though its never going to is to make the current systems a little more affordable since the clear indication of new systems upcoming release ...

What's the chances of that happening.? I'm not much of a gamer anymore but that's not to say I wouldn't like to at least have a console a few games here and there to kick it around on..I have a hard time spending that kinda of money anymore for gamage.I would be more likely to chew off my big toe ...

Atm I got Dragon Age 1 on PC but I just can't get around to playing it .... So I load up my sad overplayed AOE 3
    Last edited by LarryDean; 05-27-2011, 03:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy180
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Freeman View Post
    You're right. However I think we might see the government intervene on the consumers behalf.
    I hope you are right. The innovations that could take place with such an event taking place are endless. I still don't see a time when digital distribution is the only method. It may be the preferred method, but there will always be people who prefer to have a physical copy of what they own, especially with the DRM policies that will be in place.

Also in order for a digital only distribution model, the entire country needs to have broadband access available. I can assure you the entire country does not have this access available to them. All in all, we are an extremely long way away from having a digital only model.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    The way things are going right now, you can kiss the idea of pure digital distribution for any media goodbye. The ISP's are placing smaller and smaller limits on how much data you are allowed to transmit each month. With people watching netflix all the time, and downloading 50GB+ games those limits will be reached at insanely fast speeds.

Not only that, but think of it this way, how much money do game companies make during the holidays because little timmy has all these games on his list, so grandma, mom, and aunts buy him the games... Those are all people who won't buy gift cards for people... There's just too much money to be lost by not having a physical media purchasable.
    You're right. However I think we might see the government intervene on the consumers behalf.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    It depends. I honestly think the only way Sony releases it sooner would be if Nintendo's next system is gaining too much support and too big of a lead. If that happens, Sony may consider launching it sooner.
    given nintendo's track record with selling recently, i'd say there's a great chance they sell the holy hell out of their next console

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy180
    replied
    1tb hardrives isn't that out of the question considering the push towards digital distribution. I think this will be the last generation of consoles which uses physical media as its primary distribution method. Its pretty much been eliminated on PC via Steam.
    The way things are going right now, you can kiss the idea of pure digital distribution for any media goodbye. The ISP's are placing smaller and smaller limits on how much data you are allowed to transmit each month. With people watching netflix all the time, and downloading 50GB+ games those limits will be reached at insanely fast speeds.

Not only that, but think of it this way, how much money do game companies make during the holidays because little timmy has all these games on his list, so grandma, mom, and aunts buy him the games... Those are all people who won't buy gift cards for people... There's just too much money to be lost by not having a physical media purchasable.

Leave a comment:

• roushmartin6
    replied
    They just better work on making it so the system last. Both Microsoft and Sony need to work on the durability department and not cut so many corners. Also i've heard ps4 might be virtual reality. All i know is it better come with a dang controller so I can play madden properly.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    1tb hardrives isn't that out of the question considering the push towards digital distribution. I think this will be the last generation of consoles which uses physical media as its primary distribution method. Its pretty much been eliminated on PC via Steam.
    Especially if the next gen consoles get a service like Steam where we can directly download games and content straight to our HDD.

Microsoft and Sony should agree to a service that allows us to download the games on our consoles, and they both get an even percentage of the sales, as well as the company providing the service. I don't mind going out to stores and buying hard copies of the game, but it'd good to have the option of both.

Also I hope the downloads are fast. Games will be getting bigger in size, which will make them slower to download.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Freeman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
    Thats like when Bill Gates said "640K ought to be enough for anybody" (talking about 640kb of memory)
    These new consoles should have 1TB HDDs

Leave a comment:

Working...
X