X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Freeman View Post
    3gb of RAM will not be cutting it for next gen games. Expect anywhere from 4-8gb.
    That would be even better, but 3GB would be a huge improvement over what we have now. But I'm not complaining with 8GB of ram. I also hope they use the latest DirectX.

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    Originally posted by Alastor View Post
    There's a ceiling to graphical advancement. Maybe not to the level of detail an artist adds, but to the representation of what's present, there's a ceiling.
    Thats like when Bill Gates said "640K ought to be enough for anybody" (talking about 640kb of memory)

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Freeman
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    Well if you go on PC you can basically play every game at 1080p at 60fps. On consoles, only a handful of games actually use 1080p, and even they aren't "true" 1080p. Actually they're all 720p, but some games are scaled to make it look like they're 1080p.

PS4 should have..

-Blu ray
    -all games at native 1080p
    -at least 45fps
    -3 GBs or so of RAM
    -latest DirectX (maybe DirectX12)
    -a good cooling system to prevent overheating
    -good graphics card and processor

And last but not least, good games!
    3gb of RAM will not be cutting it for next gen games. Expect anywhere from 4-8gb.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Freeman
    replied
    There's a ceiling to graphical advancement. Maybe not to the level of detail an artist adds, but to the representation of what's present, there's a ceiling
    No, sorry but this is just wrong. We're so far away from that ceiling (if there even is a ceiling) its not even funny. We still have an extremely long way to go especially in areas like lighting where we've barely even scratched the surface.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
    not disputing that

i'm just saying given the patterns , 2012 was kinda expected IMO

2014 isn't that far off in itself

stupid question but is there a possibility that this hack job could move up the launch?
    It depends. I honestly think the only way Sony releases it sooner would be if Nintendo's next system is gaining too much support and too big of a lead. If that happens, Sony may consider launching it sooner.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    When would you want it to come out? They wouldn't want to release it later than that, or they'll risk falling too far behind Nintendo, and possibly Microsoft. Release it too early, and they'll just start losing support and money with the PS3. 2014 is the perfect date.
    not disputing that

i'm just saying given the patterns , 2012 was kinda expected IMO

2014 isn't that far off in itself

stupid question but is there a possibility that this hack job could move up the launch?

Leave a comment:

• 12and4
    replied
    Well if you go on PC you can basically play every game at 1080p at 60fps. On consoles, only a handful of games actually use 1080p, and even they aren't "true" 1080p. Actually they're all 720p, but some games are scaled to make it look like they're 1080p.

PS4 should have..

-Blu ray
    -at least 45fps
    -3 GBs or so of RAM

I think their current system is fabulous. Yes, some have been known to YLOD... but its not as prevalent as the xbox 360's.

But, ps4 should have a couple features that seem impossible right now. They need 3d gaming for sure... and some other crap

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by jcdavey View Post
    if the ps4 doesn't come out till 2014, that's actually more shocking to me lol
    When would you want it to come out? They wouldn't want to release it later than that, or they'll risk falling too far behind Nintendo, and possibly Microsoft. Release it too early, and they'll just start losing support and money with the PS3. 2014 is the perfect date.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    I still don't agree with this. Console games simply cannot pump out the things that a computer can do, and those are miles ahead of where consoles are tech wise. All that is left to do with these consoles is improve the graphics engines and the software optimization. Crysis 2 was done purely with genius coding and optimizing the hell out of the Cryengine. It wasn't just that the devs beforehand were too lazy to push the 360 a little harder.
    This. Actually, a year before Crysis was even release, Crytek stated that Cryengine was running better on the PS3. Game comes out, what do you know, the 360 version is better. What Sony and MS need to do is give their consoles "PC like" artitechure. Base consoles off of what's hot now with PCs, just use cheaper parts for them to make them cost less.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by 12and4 View Post
    How many games have even utilized the 1080p resolution?

PS4 should have..

-Blu ray
    -at least 45fps
    -3 GBs or so of RAM

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    That's just eye candy. Many TVs and graphics engines can render a sharper image than the human eye can detect. This was true a couple of years ago actually.

There's a ceiling to graphical advancement. Maybe not to the level of detail an artist adds, but to the representation of what's present, there's a ceiling.

Other than that, these systems are pretty much untested. Games are about more than eye candy. If I just wanted to look at something pretty, I assure you it wouldn't be Princess Toadstool.
    I still don't agree with this. Console games simply cannot pump out the things that a computer can do, and those are miles ahead of where consoles are tech wise. All that is left to do with these consoles is improve the graphics engines and the software optimization. Crysis 2 was done purely with genius coding and optimizing the hell out of the Cryengine. It wasn't just that the devs beforehand were too lazy to push the 360 a little harder.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    if the ps4 doesn't come out till 2014, that's actually more shocking to me lol

Leave a comment:

• Alastor
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon Freeman View Post
    Not really, both systems contain a pitiful amount of RAM which is needed for current high res texture modeling. Many developers have started to complain.
    That's just eye candy. Many TVs and graphics engines can render a sharper image than the human eye can detect. This was true a couple of years ago actually.

Other than that, these systems are pretty much untested. Games are about more than eye candy. If I just wanted to look at something pretty, I assure you it wouldn't be Princess Toadstool.

Leave a comment:

• jcdavey
    replied
    I have to admit that I'm truly stunned. It seems to me that the current generation of games has yet to truly test the potential of either the 360 or the PS3.

Why on Earth are they creating a new product for which there is no real demand? I guess they hope to survive off of technocrats and impractical consumers until the current generation is actually obsolete, but really, the current generation is nowhere near obsolete.

They have yet to test the limits of either system in terms of gaming.

I gotta admit, depending on when they plan to push it to market... I'm genuinely surprised.

If they're just announcing it now and they plan to release it a few years down the road, that's one thing. If it's going to be soon though, then I genuinely have to admit that I don't see the reasoning behind releasing a product that there's no need for, especially in a rough economy where people are making more fundamentally intelligent decisions.
    you could have replaced 360 and ps3 with xbox and ps2 in that first paragraph cause that's how it was last cycle

untapped potential

this is how it's done, come out with a system every now and then to get money money money

playstation debuts in 1994
    ps2 debuts in 2000
    then ps3 rolls out by 2006

Xbox debuts in 2001
    360 debuts in 2005

nintendo 64 debuts in 1996
    gamecube debuts in 2000
    wii debuts in 2006

there's nothing new here really

according to pattern , all 3 should already have a succesor coming out soon anyway

it's never about untapped technology, it's about cashing in on sequels

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Freeman
    replied
    I have to admit that I'm truly stunned. It seems to me that the current generation of games has yet to truly test the potential of either the 360 or the PS3.

Why on Earth are they creating a new product for which there is no real demand? I guess they hope to survive off of technocrats and impractical consumers until the current generation is actually obsolete, but really, the current generation is nowhere near obsolete.

They have yet to test the limits of either system in terms of gaming.
    Not really, both systems contain a pitiful amount of RAM which is needed for current high res texture modeling. Many developers have started to complain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X