Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MW3 Banned in UK

http://www.psu.com/Modern-Warfare-3-...a011768-p0.php

Apparently people weren't OK with the depiction of London in the MW3 trailer while it was being under attack, so they decided to ban the game.

* Posted May 25th, 2011 at 16:00 EDT by Mike Harradence
    * 35 Comments

British tabloid newspaper the Daily Mail has accused Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 of depicting “a chilling echo of the 7/7 terrorist attacks in London.”

The article refers to a scene from the MW3 gameplay reveal trailer released earlier this week, which features numerous attacks on major cities across the globe, including an apparent assault on the London Underground.

Furthermore, the Daily Mail claims that a number of people affected by the 2005 bombings are calling for the Infinity Ward-developed military shooter to be banned.

Mediawatch UK’s Vivienne Pattison was quoted saying she has “concerns” over the footage as “these games are hyper-real” and the setting is familiar. “In light of the fact we have just had the 7/7 inquests, it is in incredibly poor taste,” she said.

Call of Duty has found itself scrutinized by the UK media on numerous occasions in the past, the most notable of which focusing on the controversial Modern Warfare 2 ‘No Russian’ stage which sparked live debates on TV chat shows.

Modern Warfare 3 is due out in November 2011.

That's pretty dumb. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There's no reason to ban it for the people that don't mind whatever resemblance it holds to real-life events.
    sigpic
    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by JaysusCutler View Post
      That's pretty dumb. If you don't like it, don't buy it. There's no reason to ban it for the people that don't mind whatever resemblance it holds to real-life events.
      Just a question...

How do you feel about the Columbine mod for Half Life?

Comment

Hmm does this remind anybody of something, say Modern Warfare 2 being banned in Russian because of it's airport scene?

I understand what the UK is doing, but it's a little extreme if you ask me, but this does not rule out people in the UK being able to get it.

Some people could be sneaky, pick it up in another country, or have a friend whose in a different country send it to them.

But it seems like only america could careless about what a video game portrays.
        I mean Homefront was storied around america being taken over by Korea, MW2 DC went under attack and Alaska was captured.

Where as foreign countries take things like airport massacres and London under fire seriously.

That is to not say that we let everything go by. We did pull the plug on a game that was gonna be based on the Iraqi war, and argued to try in have the name of the terror group in Medal of Honor changed, in which they did but still allow the troops to call them Taliban a few times.
        sigpic
        Adopted Broncos:
        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
          Hmm does this remind anybody of something, say Modern Warfare 2 being banned in Russian because of it's airport scene?
          I thought it was only that mission?

And, if this is the case, what about Mass Effect 3? I know it wasn't the game, but London was getting destroyed, lol.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post

And, if this is the case, what about Mass Effect 3? I know it wasn't the game, but London was getting destroyed, lol.
            According to Activision, they removed scenes from the PC version of the game but according to everybody and everything else it was in fact banned.

Based on the article in the link, Activision only released a PC version of the game, meaning in Russia those with a PS3, or Xbox was not allowed to have, and was banned for those consoles.

http://venturebeat.com/2009/11/16/mo...assacre-scene/
            sigpic
            Adopted Broncos:
            EmmanuelSanders

Comment

I find this ridiculous.

MW2 had the white house and basically all of DC being burned to the ground....wasn't banned in the states...

And its not like the events are real! If you have a problem with a city in your country being blown up in the world of fantasy and video games and most importantly NOT real life then wow....I mean why would anyone truly care?? If you have a problem with it for whatever reason then simply don't buy it and get over it!

just my thoughts..
              sigpic
              Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

Hold up.

The Daily Mail (not a real newspaper) reported that "a number of people" are calling for the game to be banned and gave one example of someone being against it.

Yeah, the game's still being released.

-- Just Wiki'd the person mentioned in the article and it turns out Mediawatch is a pressure group that campaigns against violence and "blasphemy". I am literally shocked that she doesn't like Modern Warfare. I wonder how she feels about Duke Nukem Forever.
                Last edited by Sync; 05-27-2011, 06:28 PM.
                sigpic
                - ★ -
                2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Of all the reasons to ban MK3, that's the one you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                    Just a question...

Don't know what that is.

Assuming it's some sort of Columbine game? I wouldn't buy it, but if someone else wants to, go ahead.
                    sigpic
                    Sig by Blondie79

Comment

Originally posted by Alastor View Post
                      Just a question...

It wasn't very well done, just slapped together.

3/10

Comment

I can understand their point of view, imagine if 5 years after 9-11 some video game had a scene with you flying a plane into a building. I can understand their point if view, at the same time however, no one is forcing them to buy anything I don't think it should be banned. A disclaimer however should be included with the purchase and in the game itself IMO
                        What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
                        I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Originally posted by LSIGRAD09 View Post

Considering Mass Effect 3 takes place 170 years from now, it wouldn't hold the same relevance. That'd be like the US banning Crysis 2 because New York is getting destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by sSync View Post
                            Hold up.

The Daily Mail (not a real newspaper) reported that "a number of people" are calling for the game to be banned and gave one example of someone being against it.

Yeah, the game's still being released.

-- Just Wiki'd the person mentioned in the article and it turns out Mediawatch is a pressure group that campaigns against violence and "blasphemy". I am literally shocked that she doesn't like Modern Warfare. I wonder how she feels about Duke Nukem Forever.
                            Duke Nukem Forever is going to bomb, that problem will take care of itself. Also Fox news is notorious for starting debates on game violence. I think politics should keep their noses out of the industry and let us play our games in peace.
                            Last edited by Amari24; 05-27-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                              Duke Nukem Forever is going to bomb, that problem will take care of itself. Also Fox news is notorious for starting debates on game violence. I think politics should keep their noses out of the industry and let us play our games in peace.
                              Not gonna happen, politics need a scapegoat for violence. Video games is number 1 on there list, along with music, and TV.

Thats just how our "leaders" work, avoid the issues then blame it on something else.
                              sigpic
                              Adopted Broncos:
                              EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Working...
                              X