PS3 broken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 broken?

Well I've owned this thing for a whopping four days and it's already giving me trouble...

Basically it turns on normally, but it won't really do anything, The logos under the Web section of the menu constantly spin like they're loading, nothing appears under all the other main menu options except System Settings, it wont read any games, and it takes like 5 minutes to turn completely off.

Should I head straight back to Best Buy for a refund before they close or are there a couple things I could try out to fix it first?

Take it back. If you're having issues already you don't want the machine. GO exchange it.
    sigpic
    2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking but I don't wanna lose all my game progress already and it doesn't seem like I can access the data in the current state, so I'd like to find a way to fix for a little bit to save the data somewhere before I return it.

Comment

This is what the PlayStation Forum says:
        1. Turn off Playstation®3.
        2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
        3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
        4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
        5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
        6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

The current Recovery Menu supports:
        • Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION®3 System.
        • Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
        • Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
        • Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION®3.
        • Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
        • System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION®3 System
        sigpic
        2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Yeah I did a system restart and got it up and going again but the menu system seems to be a little laggy at parts still... still wondering if I just got a lemon and should take it back or give it a couple weeks to see if anything happens before my 30 day return period runs out.

Comment

I'd just take it back. You might lose some progress but get a new system without problems that'll last forever. You just had bad luck on this one.
            2013 Adopt-a-Bronco: Demaryius Thomas

sigpic

Comment

It still also takes like 3 minutes to start KZ2.... just my luck. Take a release date 360 just fine and then my PS3 starts giving me problems less than a week into owning it.

Comment

The most thing I'm terrified about is losing my Demons Souls progress. I'm gonna try to get my save files onto a USB key first.

Comment

Yeah... somethings wrong with the HDD. It's giving me trophy error codes when I start up KZ2.

Comment

If I had to venture a guess... I'd say it's because you haven't picked up MLB The Show 11 yet...
                    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

How in the world do I put save games on my USB stick? Whenever I try to do it the only option it gives me is to save it online but apparently I have to own PSN + for that :brick:

Comment

Okay after having to go through a freeze and restart phase 3 times it's recognizing my USB stick...

Comment

For some reasons Demons Souls, KZ2, and Uncharted 2 save files can't be saved to a USB key... only God of War 3. Those other deals require PS+ subscriptions.

Comment

Bummer. Its a Slim model right? I've had mine for over a year and no problems. It'd suck to lose all that data. Do you think it'd be worth it just to get PS+ to backup your saves?

Comment

Yeah it's a slim model... I actually managed to get it to save Uncharted 2 onto my USB stick because it stopped freezing when it tried to open it, I don't really care if I lose my KZ2 save cause I wasn't too far into that and it's fun, but losing my Demons Souls progress is tragic, but I don't wanna pay 17.99 just for that. I also don't wanna lose my trophies but I'm in the progress of syncing them onto the playstation server but it's been stuck at 3% for a while.

Either way I'm taking it back here pretty soon, good that I kept the receipt! :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                              X