X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post

My questions:
    What was Bran doing all episode?
    We need more explanation about the Night King and his motivations. Last ep wasn't enough.
    Did Ghost survive?
    Why did Theon Suicide by Cop?
    Why did Mellisandra suicide?
    Why does this show love to kill children?
    Who all survived? lol
    Did Jon's dragon survive?
    When the N-King brought the dead back - did that mean Dragon glass didn't mean anything or all those dead were killed with reg weaps. Maybe they were all the living side - killed and reanimated? Sure was a lot

What was Bran doing all episode? Agreed, i was really hoping a warged out ghost or dragon was gonna do cool things....nope, then no explanation....cool
    We need more explanation about the Night King and his motivations. Last ep wasn't enough. Agreed the whole NK arc feels empty right now.
    Did Ghost survive? I believe he is in the preview for next week so yes.
    Why did Theon Suicide by Cop? Fan service, i personally could careless for his redemption he was always a C level character for me.
    Why did Mellisandra suicide? My guess, Her purpose was to assist Azor Ahai (she believed to be Stannis at first), Arya we now know. Her purpose was completed same as beric helping Arya reach the red witch. So she Yoda'd out of there
    Why does this show love to kill children? yea its a tad much
    Who all survived? most everyone but Jorah, Edd, Beric, and Theon i believe. Not sure how or why davos survives.
    Did Jon's dragon survive? I wonder that too, i would saw yes
    When the N-King brought the dead back - did that mean Dragon glass didn't mean anything or all those dead were killed with reg weaps. Maybe they were all the living side - killed and reanimated? Sure was a lot. Nothing matters and the points are all made up now.
    sigpic
    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

• I'm too tired to get into analysis and I want to watch it a second time before I weigh in but I will say this:

Much of this was poorly filmed in my opinion. A good deal of the action was very chaotic and difficult to discern in the dark.

While Miguel Sapochnik did a fine job directing "Hardhome" and "Battle of the Bastards" -which were day battles-, they obviously should have hired Neil Marshall for this one. He directed "The Watchers on the Wall" (one of my favorite battles in this series), and "Blackwater" both of which happened at night and we could see everything very clearly in those.
      Last edited by L.M.; 04-28-2019, 09:47 PM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by dipablo View Post
          What was Bran doing all episode? Agreed, i was really hoping a warged out ghost or dragon was gonna do cool things....nope, then no explanation....cool
          We need more explanation about the Night King and his motivations. Last ep wasn't enough. Agreed the whole NK arc feels empty right now.
          Did Ghost survive? I believe he is in the preview for next week so yes.
          Why did Theon Suicide by Cop? Fan service, i personally could careless for his redemption he was always a C level character for me.
          Why did Mellisandra suicide? My guess, Her purpose was to assist Azor Ahai (she believed to be Stannis at first), Arya we now know. Her purpose was completed same as beric helping Arya reach the red witch. So she Yoda'd out of there
          Why does this show love to kill children? yea its a tad much
          Who all survived? most everyone but Jorah, Edd, Beric, and Theon i believe. Not sure how or why davos survives.
          Did Jon's dragon survive? I wonder that too, i would saw yes
          When the N-King brought the dead back - did that mean Dragon glass didn't mean anything or all those dead were killed with reg weaps. Maybe they were all the living side - killed and reanimated? Sure was a lot. Nothing matters and the points are all made up now.
          We know that both dragons survived because they're in the trailer for next week.

Comment

• Originally posted by L.M. View Post
            I'm too tired to get into analysis and I want to watch it a second time before I weigh in but I will say this:

Much of this was poorly filmed in my opinion. A good deal of the action was very chaotic and difficult to discern in the dark.
            I don't view chaos as a negative when depicting a battle, especially one that's so desperate. War is chaos, not at all neat, tidy, and clear. I've seen complaints about the darkness of the photography but my calibrated plasma handled it well.,

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
              don't know about you guys......THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!
              I just watched it after breakfast and now I can breathe again.
              Arya, star of the show

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                I just watched it after breakfast and now I can breathe again.
                Arya, star of the show
                Best character of the books!!
                sigpic

Comment

• Arya is a boss! Just put her on the throne!

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                    I don't view chaos as a negative when depicting a battle, especially one that's so desperate. War is chaos, not at all neat, tidy, and clear. I've seen complaints about the darkness of the photography but my calibrated plasma handled it well.,
                    The director's job is to tell the story and make it visible as the most basic, common sense, Kindergarten requirement here. Visibility is top priority, not friggin' battle chaos. Good for you and your tv but most of the world struggled to see much of this one, complaints about this are all over talk shows and all over the fora on the Web.

The idea of mixing fog, darkness, and lots of flying around in it was stupid to say the least, and it didn't really serve the story, it was unnecessary. You could cut that and it wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I would have replaced that with scenes involving White Walkers. Except for the Night King himself they did nothing.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• For most of the episode I didn't have an issue seeing things, but there were a couple scenes where I struggled. I definitely think it's a "quality of TV" thing.

I was originally upset at how quickly the NK was dispatched, but when I sat and thought about it: This episode was the pinnacle of almost 6 seasons where the NK was this far away threat and kind of a side story to the drama and story arcs of all the characters south of the wall.

His impact on the story, even now, is huge... Dany lost all of her Dothraki (which is what Jaime explained to Cersei one of the biggest threats), and almost all of Unsullied. The North was decimated. Very few survived. Outside of a Dragon, Dany won't stand much of a chance. Not sure how long it took everything to conspire, but no doubt it was enough time for Cersei to mass-produce her ballista and mount a significant air defense on the walls of Kings Landing. Even for Drogon (and Rhaegal if he's still alive) it would be rather suicidal.

ALSO- Bran being gone for most of the episode will definitely be explained. Remember, he not only can worg into animals but can go into the past (and even interact with it). I'm thinking he may have been going back, reviewing all the different scenarios and how they may win in the end. Possibly changing things in the battle, etc.
                      Last edited by Joshua2585; 04-29-2019, 11:23 AM.

Comment

The director's job is to tell the story and make it visible as the most basic, common sense, Kindergarten requirement here. Visibility is top priority, not friggin' battle chaos. Good for you and your tv but most of the world struggled to see much of this one, complaints about this are all over talk shows and all over the fora on the Web.

The idea of mixing fog, darkness, and lots of flying around in it was stupid to say the least, and it didn't really serve the story, it was unnecessary. You could cut that and it wouldn't change a thing. In fact, I would have replaced that with scenes involving White Walkers. Except for the Night King himself they did nothing.
                        I agree with you, not a fan of the cinematography. i had to really fiddle with my settings but i finally got a nice picture where it wasnt washed out but could still se what was happening. Stock settings are really bad for this episode.
                        sigpic
                        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

• Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                          I agree with you, not a fan of the cinematography. i had to really fiddle with my settings but i finally got a nice picture where it wasnt washed out but could still se what was happening. Stock settings are really bad for this episode.
                          My son and his partner covered the windows with blankets so they could watch it this afternoon while the youngest daughter was having an afternoon nap and the eldest at school

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua2585 View Post
                            For most of the episode I didn't have an issue seeing things, but there were a couple scenes where I struggled. I definitely think it's a "quality of TV" thing.
                            I think a lot of it had to have been those streaming. I have a good Sony 4k and finally got around to upgrading my home theater, got great sound, spent the week watching 4k movies and changing the settings... and I got black pixelated blobs throughout the episode . I streamed it via HBO streaming app. I will try again later this week when there shouldn't be so much traffic.

Disappointed because the Battle for Helms Deep looked a lot better.
                            Last edited by Freestyle; 04-29-2019, 02:04 PM.
                            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

The director's job is to tell the story
                              Yes, and the story is about a desperate, all out battle against an enormous horde of the dead led by the Night King, who shot their best laid battle plans all to hell. The battle indeed became chaos at that point.

Visibility is top priority, not friggin' battle chaos
                              Says who? We saw the fighting, we saw the desperate circumstances, we saw the dragons spewing flames and fighting. Battles are not nice, neat, well choreographed, well lit affairs.

Good for you and your tv but most of the world struggled to see much of this one, complaints about this are all over talk shows and all over the fora on the Web.
                              I'm well aware of the fact that most people don't calibrate their displays. For that matter, most people don't calibrate their audio or have surround sound. That doesn't mean that the show producers shouldn't use high definition surround sound with LFE effects or wide video dynamic range.

The idea of mixing fog, darkness, and lots of flying around in it was stupid to say the least, and it didn't really serve the story, it was unnecessary.
                              The Night King's ability to summon forth the storm indeed greatly affected the battle and made it much more difficult to defeat him.

Comment

I watched something on youtube about the darkness of the show a while back. They said they tried to make it as realistic as possible. A fight ;like that would have been very dark in reality. I believe that is where that was coming from. I liked it myself, you actually had to watch pretty intently to make sure you didn't miss anything.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X