Game of Thrones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
    I can't imagine catching this show mid-episode, or even mid-season, and hope to know what's going on. Also, I often wonder what it's like for the non-book readers who are watching the show. There's just SO MUCH more to the story, and even what they've included in the show is a sizable chunk to digest. My advice to you, AW4M, and to anyone and everyone else, is to read the books. The show is good, but the books are great, and the show's quality is not lessened because I've read the books. In fact, I often think that the show is enhanced because I know what's going on.

I remember reading somewhere that there are over 1300 named characters in the series - and I don't think that included what's in Book 5 (ADWD). Someone did a study once and they counted 54 named characters that met their end in Book 1 (AGOT). In Book 2 (ACOK) 72 more named characters lost their lives. Book 3? Well, just 97 more. Having 200 named characters in 3 books is a lot, but killing off over 200 named characters in 3 books is just crazy...

But, of course, I love it!

And speaking of Book 3... They won't have the luxury of waiting until the final 2 episodes to start all the craziness (Well, I suppose they can since Book 3 will be two seasons), but Season 4, along with the end of Season 3, will be absolutely insane. Can't wait.

That reminds me, Freyaka... Whoever told you that the books get slow in the middle is probably talking about Book 4 (AFFC). There's no way they were talking about Book 3 (ASOS). That book is chock-full of unbridled awesome. I think I've mentioned this before, but many people speculate that the problems GRRM had with Books 4 & 5 (i.e. 5 year waits, rewrites, etc.) were all caused by the way he wrote "A Storm of Swords". Many think that it's the best book (myself included), but all that action came with a price. It's a "fun" read , but it is rather undisciplined literarily.

Okay, that's enough... until next time... Winter is Coming, Valar Morghulis, Ours is the Fury, Hear Me Roar, Unbent Unbowed Unbroken, We Do Not Sow, and GO BRONCOS!!!

I was talking about a different series Wheel of time gets slow in the middle not Game of Thrones.
    sigpic

Comment

• It's game of thrones day!

Comment

• Originally posted by Remedy View Post
        It's game of thrones day!
        Thanks for the reminder... I was thinking it was just Saturday
        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
          Thanks for the reminder... I was thinking it was just Saturday
          yep I get off work at 4 am when the bars all closed down.. go to sleep and I wake up and its a few hours till GoT... sundays are always a great day of rest.

Comment

• I waited and just bought a month of HBO a few days ago, so I basically get to watch all the episodes in a row. It rocks so much more than waiting each week!
            sigpic

Comment

• best episode so far in the series.
              I support Kaepernick 100%

Comment

• Originally posted by assassin216 View Post
                best episode so far in the series.
                I don't agree. They didn't really do justice to Stannis's fleet or number of men.

Thought it was a good episode it just made me wonder. You look and see maybe 100 men past the wall and they're all like OMG There are too many.
                sigpic
                2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• I tend to agree with assassin. The size of Stannis' fleet and the number of men didn't bother me. With a cast of thousands and armies in the tens of thousands it's pretty hard (and expensive) to budget that into a TV show - whether it's done with CGI or with extras. My only problem with the episode did deal with Stannis though: helmetless and the first to scale the wall... ...single handedly defeating scores of soldiers in close quarters combat? Not only was that far from the book, but it just didn't seem very realistic or in character with how Stannis operates (at this stage of his life anyway). But still, in a word (or two)... BAD ASS!

Loved what they did with the wildfire, Sophie Turner (Sansa) was amazing, The Hound, Tyrion, Podrick, Cersei getting ready to kill Tommen... just so many things so well done. And the preview for next week... Jaqen!!! Looks like we'll be seeing a coin after all... Valar Morghulis!
                    Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Oh, I almost forgot...

Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Nothing is worse than fake looking CGI imho. Although the point that the fleet looked small is valid, at least it wasn't totally sold out to cheap (or rather cheap looking CGI)

Loved this episode - anyone who was looking forward to this series and hasn't read the books has been waiting a long time to see this kind of carnage (maybe the readers were too). The gore was creative and artistic in nature which I for one can appreciate.

So sorry to see King Jeffrey not die but there's always next week

Who'da thought Half Man would have swung his axe bravely when others bailed on the cause.

Now that the entire landscape of power has changed, it should be very interesting to see who ends up allies and who ends up enemies. I'm actually glad I never read the books.

[I made a comment here that surely would have solicited an infraction which is sad because it was a really good one -use your imagination :]

Only 6 days to go till the next episode
                        The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Originally posted by Mount-n-Groan View Post
                          My only problem with the episode did deal with Stannis though: helmetless and the first to scale the wall... ..!
                          lol yep that was dumb - that and considering his army loses and he lives is hard to swallow
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

• Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
                            lol yep that was dumb - that and considering his army loses and he lives is hard to swallow
                            In the book, he is on the opposite shore of the river (The Blackwater Rush) with about 20,000 men. The plan is to ferry him and his men across as soon as Davos and the fleet take care of whatever ships Kings Landing has. Well, all hell breaks loose before that happens so Stannis lives (along with his 20,000 men or so), but he/they actually never see battle so him living is more plausible.

Also, in the book, there is a huge chain across the river (a la West Point) that is lifted as soon as Stannis' fleet is past it. Once the wildfire takes hold then there is a mass of broken and burning ships that get smashed together as they pile up on the chain.

I figure that they wanted to give Stannis some action. He's been a little under-written in the show and having him wait impatiently on the opposite side of the river with no battle would've made for some boring stuff. I'm okay with what they've done with him in this episode, but it was my least favorite part.
                            Winter is Coming!

Comment

• Man... next weeks episode is going to be great... I'm sad that it's going to be the last of the season but I can't wait for it at the same time...
                              :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                              Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

• I don't mean to say that it ruined the episode only that it seemed way to unrealistic.

But that's okay.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X