X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by demonicbroncos View Post
    On Silver and Gold or Red and Blue?
    Blue obiously

I remember thinking the word technique was pronounced tetch-nee-quway for the longest time

Comment

I was red and gold...

Comment

it's about the lack of parenting, not the entertainment one enjoys
        sigpic

Comment

I don't buy the argument that violence in video games (or movies) leads to violent crime.

But I do think that laws designed to help parents restrict what their kids can do are okay. I don't care what the reason -- maybe you're Amish -- if parents want it off limits to kids, they should be able to achieve that result through their elected legislature.

The right to do things is really a less important value when it comes to kids. There are a whole lot of freedoms that adults should enjoy, but kids can be restricted.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
            Now when I worked at Target and GameStop, we weren't allowed to sell games rated M to children under 18 without an adult. Does this law change that or was that simply store policy?
            Store policy, albeit not entirely without consequences for doing so. The parental groups and other interested parties could threaten a boycott or what have you, but ultimately it's a store policy to conform to those ESRB ratings.

It's also voluntary for game companies to get an ESRB rating. They're not required to do so.

Comment

I think it's really dumb that you have to be 17 to buy M rated games. I turn 17 in a few weeks and that's what I'm most excited about. I have my own car and a job, I should be able to buy M rated games and R rated movies.
              sigpic
              Sig by Blondie79

Comment

You should be more concerned that society deems it is more disturbing to look at nudity than to show a bullet going into somebody's skull.

You turn on the news every day and the news isn't afraid of showing corpses. But, the second a nipple is shown they have to run for cover!

I, personally have no issue with nudity nor violence. They are part of the human condition. Children used to grow up reading stories about great warriors in bloody battle. They listened to those stories for thousands upon thousands of years. Yet, people have the audacity to claim that violence today creates sociopaths?
                The Browns are gone; I'm not a fan of the Impostors

The real Browns are in Baltimore, see?

Comment

If a parent doesn't know what their kids are buying/playing to some extent at least... then they quite likely have bigger issues than just what games their kids are buying/playing.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                    Now when I worked at Target and GameStop, we weren't allowed to sell games rated M to children under 18 without an adult. Does this law change that or was that simply store policy?

No, the new ruling doesn't change anything.

The Supreme Court's ruling only applies to governments, and says only that video games, as a form of media, receive the same level of Constitutional "Free Speech" protection as other forms of media (DVDs, books, CDs, etc.). The law in question attempted to single out video game sales with new regulations that could not apply to DVDs or books because of this Constitutional protection. So governments can't make it illegal to sell certain types of games--that's really all the decision boils down to.

The decision does not proscribe any conduct on the part of private companies. Best Buy, GameStop, and other merchants are still free to make any requirements they want in order to sell somebody an M-rated game. But the ruling leaves these policies up to each company.

So, with all due respect to the OP, it's not really correct to say "Kids can now buy violent video games", and far more correct to say "Laws can no longer prevent kids from buying violent video games".
                    Last edited by MileHighInNY; 06-29-2011, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Brown View Post
                      You should be more concerned that society deems it is more disturbing to look at nudity than to show a bullet going into somebody's skull.

You turn on the news every day and the news isn't afraid of showing corpses. But, the second a nipple is shown they have to run for cover!

I, personally have no issue with nudity nor violence. They are part of the human condition. Children used to grow up reading stories about great warriors in bloody battle. They listened to those stories for thousands upon thousands of years. Yet, people have the audacity to claim that violence today creates sociopaths?
                      I definitely feel the same way. People flipped some serious shiz when there were sex scenes in Mass Effect, but say nothing when Dead Space 2 opens like this...

Comment

The ME1 sex scenes were blown far out of proportion. FOX gave their biased opinion on it, and they had Geoff Khiegley (sp) from Gametrailers I think, not only were they being rude to him for defending the game, he was completely making everyone of them look stupid. He was presenting cold hard facts to them, that Fox eventually cut him off, and continued giving misinformed opinions/bashing of the game. Ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                          I definitely feel the same way. People flipped some serious shiz when there were sex scenes in Mass Effect, but say nothing when Dead Space 2 opens like this...

that was so cool

i want to play that game now lol

Comment

In Dead Space 2 there's a part where I guy cuts his own throat wide open. Apparently that's not graphic enough to get talked about over a glimpse of nudity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post

That was effing bad ass!

It's a pity I can't play fps games because of motion sickness though... I can guarantee I'd love these kinds of games if I could play them.

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
                                That was effing bad ass!

It's a pity I can't play fps games because of motion sickness though... I can guarantee I'd love these kinds of games if I could play them.
                                That's a TPS. FPS is like CoD and Halo. That sucks that you get motion sick.

Comment

Working...
                                X