• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New consoles from Apple and Google?

Apple, Google could impact game console war - THQ CEO

* By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
    * Posted Jul 13, 2011 5:57 pm PT

Brain Farrell says Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony may face new competition during next hardware generation from service-focused giants.

The console war has been a three-sided front fought by Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony for the past 10 years. However, according to THQ CEO Brain Farrell, the next generation may see a dramatically expanded battleground.

Brian Farrell

Speaking at VentureBeat's GamesBeat 2011 conference, Farrell indicated that the current Big Three console makers will have more competition from the likes of Apple and Google as the industry enters the next generation of hardware. Farrell also believes that the next console generation won't be led by technical performance gains.

"We believe Apple is going to be there, Google is going to be there," he said. "Our view is that the next generation of consoles, if there are consoles, are going to be less about technology and more about service orientation of the gamer."

Both Google and Apple have previously signaled their interest in gaming. Late last month, Google began hiring for its "Games at Google" business unit, though it remains to be seen what direction the search-engine giant will take with this program. Meanwhile, Apple has heavily courted the gamer audience with its iOS handheld devices.

Farrell's comment doesn't exactly jive with Nintendo's direction for the Wii U, thus far the only next-generation console announced. Expected to launch before December 31, 2012, the Wii U signifies Nintendo's arrival to the HD era. Though its exact power remains unknown, one of the systems headline features is a motion-sensing tablet controller. GameSpot's Nintendo Wii U: Inside and Out feature has more information on that device.

As for Sony and Microsoft, neither company has made an official move toward announcing their next console. However, rumors persist that Microsoft, for one, may announce the Xbox 360's successor at the 2012 Electronic Entertainment Expo.
    Neither company would have a chance against Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. This would go back to what I was saying about Google trying to do too many things at once. Apple's products would be overpriced anyways, it'd be the PS3 all over again. Not to mention, neither company has a clue on how to market IP's. No one's looking to play Angry Birds on their console.

Apple and Google would completely get decimated if they tried to make a console. Only company I would want back, is Sega or Atari.

Discuss.

I imagine you probably said the same thing about Microsoft entering the video game business. I see no reason to assume these companies won't be able to do well with consoles.
    :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
    Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

They would have to produce something truly impressive to compete in a market with the big three (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony). However, if anyone can do it, it's one of the companies mentioned here... perhaps they sense weakness.

*cough* Nintendo *cough*
      sigpic
      - ★ -
      2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

Three consoles is almost too many at this point, Google/Apple would have to kick one of these giants completely out like what happened to Sega, but I don't see that happening to either of the three companies. I think they'd be better off making games, not selling hardware.

Comment

Also, to put this out there. The last time Apple tried sticking their noses into the console business, they failed miserably. It was called the Pippin, and it absolutely BOMBED. That's what happens when you try to enter a different market blindly.

Microsoft is the exception, not the rule. MS unlike Apple had prior knowledge of the gaming industry, and they based their first console off of something they were familiar with, PC's.

You have to think here, Ipod/Iphone games aren't the types of games people will be looking to play on their consoles. The big dogs for years to come will be Uncharted, Zelda, Halo, CoD, Mario, and FF. Going from marketing games like Angry Birds, and then trying to market big name IP's is a whole different ball game.

Google, I think would stand a better chance if they made a portable gaming device, and have it run off Chrome OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
            Three consoles is almost too many at this point, Google/Apple would have to kick one of these giants completely out like what happened to Sega, but I don't see that happening to either of the three companies. I think they'd be better off making games, not selling hardware.
            I don't think it's too many, actually if you take a look at the '2nd Generation', and some after that, you'd see that there would be 5-6 consoles per gen. But back then, companies were able to compete with each other equally. It's not the same thing anymore. The industry is completely dominated by Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Apple nor Google wouldn't have a chance against them.

The last generation to have more than three consoles was the '6th Generation'. Dreamcast, PS2, XBox, and GameCube.
            Last edited by Amari24; 07-13-2011, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
              I don't think it's too many, actually if you take a look at the '2nd Generation', and some after that, you'd see that there would be 5-6 consoles per gen. But back then, companies were able to compete with each other equally. It's not the same thing anymore. The industry is completely dominated by Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. Apple nor Google wouldn't have a chance against them.

The last generation to have more than three consoles was the '6th Generation'. Dreamcast, PS2, XBox, and GameCube.
              Yeah but that was when big games didn't cost hundreds of millions to make. If you were to split the current user base up even more and then market exclusive IP's to your now smaller group of consumers you're bound to lose money. These companies make money off of software, and lose money on their hardware (unless you're Nintendo and make a dated piece of crap console). Software is where the money is at, not hardware.

Comment

Anyone remember Panasonics folly?
                Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                  Anyone remember Panasonics folly?
                  Are you talking about the 3DO?

Comment

i'm honestly surprised Apple hasn't tried to do this already.

although I don't remember this Pippin business. regardless of that attempt and failure, i'm surprised they haven't tried again.

i'm not sure they would fail right away. there are plenty of Apple loyalists out there, and a growing number of Android/Google enthusiasts as well that might give their respective consoles a shot.

i for one would love to see Atari make a comeback and just come out with a bad ass console and remind everyone who got the ball rolling in the beginning.

another reason to say that they wouldn't necessarily get shot down right away is Sony.

Sony has only been in the game for just about as long (barely longer) than Microsoft when they launched the Playstation.

before that it was just Nintendo and Sega and i'm not sure Sony had any business (i.e. reason to believe they could compete, or have any gaming knowledge in that regard) thinking they could get into the game either and now they have a better quality product than Nintendo (and i personally believe they are the best console provider but i know there are plenty of Xbox fans out there who disagree).

in any event, i think it would be a good thing, even if you don't plan on buying one because it could force the "Big Three" to actually make drastic improvements to their products in order to buy our loyalty.
                    sigpic

DISCLAIMER: MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Comment

If I was Google or Apple I go after the handheld consoles players first. The market is mostly getting dominated by the Nintendo DS and the PSP in the US is mostly forgotten which is a shame since its hardware owned the the DS.

Comment

Originally posted by demonicbroncos View Post
                        If I was Google or Apple I go after the handheld consoles players first. The market is mostly getting dominated by the Nintendo DS and the PSP in the US is mostly forgotten which is a shame since its hardware owned the the DS.
                        They already have with their phones... but fully dedicated devices might not hurt either.
                        :usa: *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women*** :usa:

sigpic
                        Adopted Bronco 2015 CJ Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by RealBronco View Post

although I don't remember this Pippin business. regardless of that attempt and failure, i'm surprised they haven't tried again.

i'm not sure they would fail right away. there are plenty of Apple loyalists out there, and a growing number of Android/Google enthusiasts as well that might give their respective consoles a shot.

i for one would love to see Atari make a comeback and just come out with a bad ass console and remind everyone who got the ball rolling in the beginning.

another reason to say that they wouldn't necessarily get shot down right away is Sony.

Sony has only been in the game for just about as long (barely longer) than Microsoft when they launched the Playstation.

before that it was just Nintendo and Sega and i'm not sure Sony had any business (i.e. reason to believe they could compete, or have any gaming knowledge in that regard) thinking they could get into the game either and now they have a better quality product than Nintendo (and i personally believe they are the best console provider but i know there are plenty of Xbox fans out there who disagree).

in any event, i think it would be a good thing, even if you don't plan on buying one because it could force the "Big Three" to actually make drastic improvements to their products in order to buy our loyalty.
                          Apples and Oranges. Sony launched the PS1 in '94, XBox was released in 2002, I wouldn't say "barely", in this case. Not to mention, Sony were licensing games for the NES, so they actually had knowledge on marketing video game software, prior to the PS1. And most people probably don't know this, but the PS1 was originally meant to be a disc-add on for the SNES, but Sony and Nintendo couldn't agree on it, so that's how the PS1 was born.

Apple tried this once, and like I said, it didn't turn out good for them at all. Every time Apple tries to push their hardware as a major gaming device, it ends up a total flop, i.e Pippin and gaming on Macs.

i for one would love to see Atari make a comeback and just come out with a bad ass console and remind everyone who got the ball rolling in the beginning

I love Atari, and would also like to see 'em comeback, but they were screwed when Tramiel took over. He simply didn't care about home console gaming. Atari's last system, the Jaguar, was due a successor (Jaguar 2), but it got canned during development. There are still a few dev kits in the possession of different people. Who knows how that would've turned out, it could've been better than the PS2, guess we'll never know.

They'd go bankrupt if they tried to make a new console, and plus they lost most of their marketshare and support a long time ago.

No, it wasn't. There was the NEC PC-Engine/Turbo Grafx-16, SNK Neo-Geo, Atari Jaguar, Panasonic 3DO, Amiga 32-CD, etc. Sega and Nintendo were simply the main brands at that time.

And it's like I said before, Sony did have knowledge about gaming prior to the PS1, and FWIW Microsoft did as well before releasing the XBox. Neither Apple or Google can say the same thing, so again, apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by demonicbroncos View Post
                            Uh.. the PSP was just recently outselling the 3DS.

Once Vita hits the market, we can see things shift in the handheld market. They don't have to necessarily beat Nintendo, just make the score closer to what it was with the PSP and DS.
                            Last edited by Amari24; 07-14-2011, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                              Uh.. the PSP was just recently outselling the 3DS.

Once Vita hits the market, we can see things shift in the handheld market. They don't have to necessarily beat Nintendo, just make the score closer to what it was with the PSP and DS.
                              How it doesn't has any games out on it unless you have market place.

Comment

Working...
                              X