Nintendo is doomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo is doomed

According to this article, Nintendo's overall sales have been down and their stocks have been plummeting.

A disastrous last quarter in terms of sales has sent Nintendo's share prices through the floor. If you own Nintendo shares, sorry! But hey, even if you do, it could be worse; spare a thought for former president Hiroshi Yamauchi. He just lost $500,000,000 in one day.

It's not like he'll be out on the street; Yamauchi, who used to be Japan's richest man, is so rich he can take a $500 million hit (caused by a drop in over 20% of Nintendo's share value) in his overall wealth and still rise to greet the day.

But boy, losing $500,000,000 in a single day has gotta hurt. I lost $2 down the side of my driver's seat last week and went through half a box of tissues!

Yamauchi ran Nintendo for over 50 years, and also used to own the Seattle Mariners baseball
    And Nintendo's worries don't end there. According to these numbers, Japan is more interested in PSVita, then they are the Wii U.

Popular Japanese video games publication, Famitsu has revealed the numbers last week of what their Japanese readers has voted in regards of the PS Vita and Wii U

PS Vita
    - 87% of Japanese gamers have an interest in purchasing a PlayStation Vita
    - 44.8% they intend to purchase it on the day of release.
    - 54.9% thought the system was "inexpensive" at it's price point of $249 USD for the Wi-Fi model.
    - 58% said they choose the Wi-Fi version over the 3G one ($299 USD)

Wii U
    - 38.3% of Famitsu readers polled said they had a good impression of the system after it was unveiled at E3, while 33.7% said they did not.
    - 28% said they are undecided.
    - 22.5% percent said it lacked impact, and many people commented that it seemed like a minor upgrade to the Wii.
    In other words.. Nintendo will soon be joining Sega as software developers only.
    Yes
    47.06%
    No
    52.94%

Nah, not the first time they had to make a new product to stay afloat.
    sigpic
    I Adopt #77 well damn!
    Milla Da QB Killa' #77
    Fox Rocks #77

Comment

Had it not been for the DS last gen, Nintendo would be in horrible shape. The GameCube itself was a major flop, only thing that saved Nintendo that time was the DS. Now, it's not the same. The 3DS is doing incredibly bad on the market. Even though it got a major price cut, it still has yet to lift off. If the Wii U doesn't do that good (I think the controller will be a huge turnoff), Nintendo will end up like Sega. They most likely won't have the 3DS to save them this time. It's all or nothing for Nintendo. Their future as hardware developers will be on the line this upcoming gen.
      Last edited by Amari24; 07-31-2011, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Sad thing about Sega is I loved their last two systems. Honestly I think Nintendo needs a bit more 3rd party support if they want to stay afloat. They probably have the best franchise titles, but any huge games that span multiple systems (Black Ops, Madden, GTA, Modern Warfare) aren't purchased for the Wii.

Comment

I saw a similar article on Bloomberg a couple of days back (LINK) which is a bit more in-depth if anyone's genuinely interested. The 3DS has been a disaster. But I do wonder how long it is before handheld gaming consoles are completely killed off by smartphones, anyway.

To be fair, Sony dropped 31% as a company this year too. Nintendo just dropped further.
          sigpic
          - ★ -
          2012 Adopt a Bronco : Joe Mays

Comment

I thought Nintendo was dead with the Gamecube.

It's too early -- game companies don't die because a console fades. They die because of an unsuccessful launch.

It will come down to the next console. If it's a hit, they're still relevant. If it's not, they're toast.

Nintendo has done a good job of differentiation -- going for a game market that the other two are not pursuing as heavily. They also leverage off they're key game brands (Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.) There's a constant flow of younger gamers that these titles appeal to.

XBox 360 has made some strides with the Kinect, recognizing there's a market for non-traditional, non hard core gaming. They may be ready stomp out Nintendo.

But it all comes down to the next console, and whether people buy it.

Comment

Like I said, Nintendo would've been done with the failure of the GameCube, but the DS did so well it didn't matter. Now it's the 3DS that's failing, and Nintendo better hope the Wii U catches on, if not, they're done in the hardware business.

Comment

Originally posted by CinnaMunMun View Post
                Sad thing about Sega is I loved their last two systems. Honestly I think Nintendo needs a bit more 3rd party support if they want to stay afloat. They probably have the best franchise titles, but any huge games that span multiple systems (Black Ops, Madden, GTA, Modern Warfare) aren't purchased for the Wii.
                I loved all of Sega's systems. Master System, Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast. Only one I don't like is the SG-1000. Nintendo is on the same edge Sega was on 13 years ago. Either the Dreamcast takes off, or Sega is done with consoles. Unfortunately, the Dreamcast never caught on, and that's what killed Sega.

Same with Nintendo. Either the Wii U takes off, or Nintendo is done with consoles.

Comment

Computer hardware and chip technology is getting so cheap, I see no reason not to go for a full-on screamer of a console.

The development community is strong. If you put a good machine out there, they can adapt the best games for it.

And the exclusive game brands for Nintendo are as good as any.

This shouldn't be that hard, in my view. Nintendo is fortunate the Wii caught on. They survived long enough to make it to this point, when it's not quite so hard to put an affordable console out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
                    Computer hardware and chip technology is getting so cheap, I see no reason not to go for a full-on screamer of a console.

The development community is strong. If you put a good machine out there, they can adapt the best games for it.

And the exclusive game brands for Nintendo are as good as any.

This shouldn't be that hard, in my view. Nintendo is fortunate the Wii caught on. They survived long enough to make it to this point, when it's not quite so hard to put an affordable console out there.
                    I agree. What Nintendo should've done was drop the 'Wii' name entirely, and introduce a whole new brand name, i.e Sony PSVita.

Drop the stupid tablet controller, and use a normal controller with built-in motion, ala Dualshock 3. Give great graphics, and give it 3rd party support. That's a Nintendo console I would buy, as would any hardcore gamer. Even casuals would be interested since it have motion controls, as well as the Mario and Zelda games, and all Nintendo's classic IP's.

Comment

I like the tablet idea myself. There are a lot of people who can't afford an iPad, or the data plan to run it. They may like the idea of having tablet functionality to surf the net and do all sorts of stuff. I don't see why a tablet can't be part of an enjoyable gaming experience.

The only thing to worry about is making sure the hard core, FPS and adventure gamers can have their dual stick controllers and be able to play in the same way that games are played on XBox, PS3.

It seems like an easy thing to accomplish in this day and age.

Comment

Computer hardware and chip technology is getting so cheap, I see no reason not to go for a full-on screamer of a console..
                        I'm not all that caught up with gamer news. Is the reason they insist on being a generation behind in graphics is because they feel they can't keep up with the resources Microsoft and Sony has?

That company really has put up some in depth stuff before. I know I have picked up a good amount of trash on the Playstation and Xbox before (though they have plenty of hits as well).

If they insist on being a generation behind and hoping everyone else will never figure out how to make a good game maybe they deserve to die? I've had good memories playing their stuff as a kid but that seems like an ass backwards strategy to me.
                        Last edited by Freestyle; 07-31-2011, 09:59 AM.
                        You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyle View Post
                          I'm not all that caught up with gamer news. Is the reason they insist on being a generation behind in graphics is because they feel they can't keep up with the resources Microsoft and Sony has?

That company really has put up some in depth stuff before. I know I have picked up a good amount of trash on the Playstation and Xbox before (though they have plenty of hits as well).

If they insist on being a generation behind and hoping everyone else will never figure out how to make a good game maybe they deserve to die? I've had good memories playing their stuff as a kid but that seems like an ass backwards strategy to me.
                          They don't insist on it. They are claiming their next console will be the fastest one. They may be wrong, but they at least recognize that they need to get better in that regard.

Comment

They don't insist on it. They are claiming their next console will be the fastest one. They may be wrong, but they at least recognize that they need to get better in that regard.
                            As far as I knew they were claiming it'll be faster then consoles released in 2005 but not next gen (2012/ 2013)?

Say it's 2013 and a college freshmen is buying a console. Does he want graphics that were around since he was 10 years old or next gen. I think most guys don't want "old" stuff.

I think Zelda is a thousand times better then Fable but I wouldn't buy a system that's old.

Of course that all depends on what the new Xbox and Playstation actually looks like and whether or not it's a major leap in graphics.
                            You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

Graphically, Nintendo has already lost next gen. The Wii U is using a GPU from 2008. The PS3 and 360 are running off 2006 tech. Wii U is only 50% better than current consoles. Unless Microsoft and Sony run their consoles off the same thing, there's no way they won't look better than the Wii U. Microsoft is in with AMD and supposedly the 720 will have DirectX and an AMD Trinity APU Bulldozer. Microsoft is breaking the bank with the 720, which is why I guarantee they'll have the best graphics next gen

Sony is totally focused on the PS3, and aside from confirming that they're working on the PS4, they haven't said much. Although, there was a report that stated that the PS4 won't be that much of an improvement over the PS3, but I'd take that with a grain of salt for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X