Awful Things in Great Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awful Things in Great Games

Thought this could be an interesting thread so lets see how it goes.

Basically, list your problems that you had with games that actually were top rated games and your favorites. And what changes you could make to these great games to make them even better!

I'll start:

Gears of War 2: One of my favorite games. Still play the multiplayer on it. Yet, I have a few complaints. Why are there no Berserkers in the Campaign? In my opinion the razor hail is cheesey, and the multiplayer ranking system was just awful...so awful that they had to overhaul it to a hardly better system that took too long. And to make up for their mistake EPIC has 20x the xp events all the time now lol.

Also would have liked to see a theater mode for multiplayer and in the campaign I felt the ending was far too easy.

Madden: ugh...well I have a problem that EA takes more out every year than they put in. Madden should have Team Builder like NCAA, superstar had made advances in the wrong directions...I could go on for ever...

Halo 2/3: Loved Halo...didn't care for the Gravemind. I just felt like it was a flaw in the story...of course without Gravemind Halo would probably have been slightly different but I felt it was lame.

Call of Duty WAW / Black Ops: That instead of making an all out Zombie game for $60 that they keep making those map packs that I don't want to spend microsoft points on.

Well that should be enough to get started. What complaints with your favorite games do you have?
    sigpic
    Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Cool thread idea...

Mafia 2 - THE DAMN CHECKPOINTS. I can't tell you how many times I buried my fist into my face every time I died and had to re-do the last 30 minutes of shooting and driving I did because I accidentally got killed in some ridiculous way.

GTA4 - The driving. It is by far the worst driving I've ever seen in any game ever. I know they're going for 'realism' but they've passed that by this point. I'm pretty sure I'm capable of going around a corner at 30 miles an hour and not spinning out for two blocks and slamming into a building.

I can't think of too many right now... I'm sure more will pop into my head later.

Comment

Gears of War 2 - The Ending. The final boss was one of the if not the easiest boss I've ever faced in a game which was such a let down after the final boss in the first one...one of the hardest bosses I've ever played.

Fallout 3/New Vegas - It makes me mad you have to switch weapons for melee. I wish like on most 1st person shooters it was one button melee plus the different weapons.

All the things I've been complaining about in Madden for years they finally seem to be doing this year so hopefully I wont have anymore to say about that.
      sigpic
      Sig pic by dbfan2007

Originally posted by kishzilla
      You truly are a special kind of strange ha ha ha.
      You damn right!

Songs engineered, mixed, and mastered by yours truly...
      Have It All - Blu3
      Conceited - Blu3
      Intro (Failure Meets Success) - Blu3
      All On You - Blu3

Comment

Originally posted by Foez View Post
        Gears of War 2 - The Ending. The final boss was one of the if not the easiest boss I've ever faced in a game which was such a let down after the final boss in the first one...one of the hardest bosses I've ever played.

Fallout 3/New Vegas - It makes me mad you have to switch weapons for melee. I wish like on most 1st person shooters it was one button melee plus the different weapons.

All the things I've been complaining about in Madden for years they finally seem to be doing this year so hopefully I wont have anymore to say about that.
        I had to think about the boss in Gears 2. I completely forgot which probably indicates it was a fairly simple boss to say the least.

Halo Reach:

1. The cross hairs expanding with every shot. Makes it more realistic in a sense I suppose, but I don't play video games because of how realistic they are.
        2. The Spartan Laser hardly can live up to it's name in Reach. It's basically an over sized laser pointer.
        3. Grenades are crazy, almost stupid strong.

Gears 1 & 2:

1. Host advantage

RUSE:

1. No enough people play it.

These are my opinions about my favorite current games.
        Adopter - theMileHighGuy

Adopted Bronco - Matt Prater

sigpic

Shout outs to BroncoSexyDaddy, theMileHighGuy and sbxxxiichamps!

Comment

Interesting topic. I have plenty to list, so I'll be back later to post.

Alright, so I'll start my list..

Mass Effect 2
          The RPG elements are pretty much nonexistent in this game. I have a hard time even considering Mass Effect 2 an RPG, mainly because the game is so shallow in that regard. The only things that resembles most WRPG's are the ability to level up different attributes (which isn't even all that deep), and being able to progress to different weapons and powers, and like I said, they aren't all that many in this game. Mass Effect 1 is such a better game in every way, aside from maybe combat, which I liked in ME1, but for the sake of argument was improved in ME2.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
          There aren't really that many combos in this game, and really are you're doing is pressing the same attack button the entire game. The boss fights are very disappointing as well.

Uncharted 2
          When your climbing up platforms and such, most of the time the controls will invert, and you'll have to jump the opposite way. Thing is, it really doesn't work all that well. I can't count how many times I've died simply because I didn't push down the analog exactly straight back once the controls invert due to the camera angles. It's ridiculous, but the game is still amazing.

Madden/NCAA
          Dropping wide open interceptions is the most annoying thing I've ever experienced in a sports game. I was playing the Madden '12 demo the other day, and what happens? Jay Cutler throws a bad pass RIGHT to Charles Woodson, and he drops it. That's complete BS. You'd never see any CB, never mind Charles Woodson, dropping wide open picks like that. I'm talking about regular caliber passes, like if you were playing catch in the back yard. The players aren't moving or anything, it hits them straight in the hands and somehow they still drop them. I don't get it. God forbid it happens in crunch time during an online game...

Crysis 2
          Dieing from jumping great heights. I could see if you were just a normal soldier and you were jumping from 30 ft in the air. But you're in the freaking Nanosuit 2.0, it can survive a nuke from ground zero. You shouldn't be dieing (even in maximum armor) from a small building. It's ridiculous. Especially since Alcatraz jumped from a tall ass building during one of the trailers (without maximum armor) and survived.

Fallout 3
          TOO MUCH WASTELAND. Seriously, I know you're in DC, but the fact that there's more wasteland in the game than in Vegas is crazy. I've been to DC before, and the place varies from rural to urban, there should've been much more variety. And I don't know if that's just Bethesda screwing up, or if they actually believe DC after a nuclear Fallout would have more wasteland than Vegas.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
          The controls for Leonardo's flying-machine SUCK. I died so many times on that level because of the broken controls of the flying device. They were better off leaving that part out of the game. It wasn't that it was hard, it was pretty easy, but it was just so difficult to accurately steer with it. I died more times on that one level than I did maybe during the entire game..

Fallout: New Vegas

I love this game, and the weapons, but unfortunately some of them take up 75% of the screen. One in particular is the YCS/186 Gauss Rifle. Probably the coolest weapon in the game, certainly one of my favorites, and it's one of the strongest weapons as well, the problem is that you can barely see what's in front of you. It basically blinds your sight from the right if you're using it in First-person mode, and it limits some of your view in the front. And it's not just the YCS, this goes for a lot of other weapons in the game. This one little flaw is usually why I always use the Anti-Material rifle. The YCS works like a charm against tougher enemies though.

Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach.
          The Vehicles are memorable no doubt, but they are a pain to control correctly. Every vehicle in the game bounces around like its tires are made of springs. It's fun no doubt, but when you're doing a mission that requires a lot of driving, it gets really annoying when your warthog runs into a hump, flips into the air, and falls over while you're getting shredded by Covenant. The funniest thing is that this also seems to be the case with the vehicles that fly as well. They always seems to drift the opposite direction regardless of where you're steering. It's hard to explain, but it feels so weird. The vehicles are one of my favorite things about Halo so I'll forgive it to an extent.
          Last edited by Amari24; 08-20-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Love the posts so far!! I'll come back with some more of my own in a bit
            sigpic
            Thanks Freyaka for the Sig! And Avatar!

Comment

LOL sounds like a lot of whining about good games but I do have my own gripes.

MOstly games with reeeealy long cut scenes, I can't say how many times I was late to something because of MGS' 15-20min cut scenes, great game(s) for sure though.

Comment

Chase missions in GTA4 suck

Especially motorcycle ones. You hit one thing and you get to start the whole mission over again. Awesome.

Comment

Red Dead Redemption

Some of the stroy elements where to distasteful.

Assassians Creed Series

I do not like the antichristianity elements of the stroyline.
                  Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southstander View Post
                    Red Dead Redemption

Some of the stroy elements where to distasteful.

Assassians Creed Series

I do not like the antichristianity elements of the stroyline.
                    Just a heads up -- EVERY Assassin's Creed game, before it starts up, shows a disclaimer stating: "This game is influenced by multiple religious cultures".

I'm pretty sure they aren't aiming for anything that discredits christianity in the AC series.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
                      Just a heads up -- EVERY Assassin's Creed game, before it starts up, shows a disclaimer stating: "This game is influenced by multiple religious cultures".

I'm pretty sure they aren't aiming for anything that discredits christianity in the AC series.
                      I disagree A, if a game had the same warning but was overtly anti black there would be an out cry against it.

Also just because some Christians where apart of the development does not make it non offensive.

The second and third games had the main villian be the Pope. In The third game yiu chase down and kill a degenerate the plays the role of Christ in a Passion play.
                      Ask me about My Jesus and how to have a relationship with Him.

Red Sox Mafia RLF4 Life! Boston 617 Strong!
                      sigpic

Comment

Killzone 3 The game is good, but the campaign ending was a letdown and didn't make much sense.

God of War Out of the trilogy series, the first game is the most frustrating imo. Especially with that level before the last level of game where you had to climb up those spike/bladed polls? After the first poll, there should've been a save point and some health chests, so even if you had managed to get through the first poll, you had to start all over if you missed the second one. Yikes!!! Heck of a series though.

MGS4 Just a few gripes i've had with the game was that eastern europe level where you had to follow that resistance guy to get to big momma? That level i've gone around in circles! The level where you fight the suicide gekkos i've lost focused fighting them, while trying to see the vamp/raiden rematch! lol. Awesome game though.

Comment

If you've played Killzone 2 and actually paid attention to Killzone 3, you'd know the ending does make sense and is also speculative. I think the real Visari was the unknown person in the bunker at the end. It's a bit cliff hangerish. We'll have to wait for Killzone 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
                            GTA4 - The driving. It is by far the worst driving I've ever seen in any game ever. I know they're going for 'realism' but they've passed that by this point. I'm pretty sure I'm capable of going around a corner at 30 miles an hour and not spinning out for two blocks and slamming into a building.
                            I can drive just fine in gta4 Though I do agree with the person who ahtes the chase minutes, especially on a motorcycle. Especially on the NRG because you pretty much steer with the lean stick, and it gets tricky at high speed (which is all the time on the nrg)

There's a lot of stuff I don't like in games but I can't really think of anything. I HATE the madden Juggernaut, when the computer gets within 2 minutes and monkey stomps you the whole way to the endzone.

Comment

I loved the GTA4 drunk driving. It was the only thing that was excusable driving wise. Although, it was hard as hell.. harder than in real life for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X