X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
    Zelda: Twilight Princess used the motion extensively for fighting years ago.

The new Zelda is supposed to be amazing, and utilizes it in an even more amazing way (supposedly). It makes more sense for swordplay, I suppose. That game is in the house for Santa Claus, so we'll see after Christmas.

I can usually tell who considers games to consist of first-person-shooter or at least first person perspective. They're always reacting with extreme prejudice against motion controls.

But if you enter a phase of life where motion controls are better, you can start to see their value. Such as young people around. Or guests, new friends. People that aren't heavy players. Motion controls are inviting to people, make them start trying things intuitively.

A lot of people don't like to learn a bunch of buttons when they're visiting you. But the motion control seems like they might want to try.

People are more important than games. Use your hobby to connect to people and draw them in.
    Sure, they work for a linear, straight forward, and simplistic experience like a Zelda game, but if you're playing a game where there's a lot more going on then just walking about and slashing with your sword -- motion controls then become an inconvenience from that point on. This is why they'll NEVER be the standard as a control scheme.

You can't configure motion controls precisely enough to utilize them effectively in a game where there's more ways of going about the gameplay. This is why you won't see MS or Sony come out and announce that one of their top IP's will exclusively utilize Kinect or Move. It would essentially be developer/fanbase suicide.

Mass Effect, Arkham City, Skyrim, Uncharted, GTA, etc. are games which motion controls wouldn't work. Could you imagine playing a game like Skyrim using motion controls?

Also, I absolutely can't stand FPS (mainly military FPS). I'll play Halo, Crysis, or some other FPS with a good campaign, but other than that, you won't see me playing a FPS. And even then, I'll only play sci-fi shooters.. I'm never playing a military shooter again.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied

The new Zelda is supposed to be amazing, and utilizes it in an even more amazing way (supposedly). It makes more sense for swordplay, I suppose. That game is in the house for Santa Claus, so we'll see after Christmas.

I can usually tell who considers games to consist of first-person-shooter or at least first person perspective. They're always reacting with extreme prejudice against motion controls.

But if you enter a phase of life where motion controls are better, you can start to see their value. Such as young people around. Or guests, new friends. People that aren't heavy players. Motion controls are inviting to people, make them start trying things intuitively.

A lot of people don't like to learn a bunch of buttons when they're visiting you. But the motion control seems like they might want to try.

People are more important than games. Use your hobby to connect to people and draw them in.
    lol, I have a very full and active social life. Thank you for your concern though, and for pigeon holing me Sometimes things just aren't a person's cup of tea. I find motion control to still be clunky and most of the games aren't something that I want to play, when I want to play video games.

When I spend time with family and friends, I don't generally want to play video games anyway, and most of them don't either.

I also don't play FPS, or first person perspective games exclusively. I don't even play them a majority, so again, thanks for thinking you have me pegged, but no lol My favorite genre of games are more action adventure type games with a lot of story line. Uncharted, Metal Gear, Assassins Creed, Prince of Persia, Batman Arkham Asylum, those types of games. For me, it's like watching a movie that I get to be a part of. Using a motion controlled setup for games like that would be infuriating.

Should we assume that anyone that likes to read and immerse themselves in the story is a hermit that doesn't want to involve people into their hobby?

My fiancee, for instance, hates playing video games, however, she is the one who buys most of them, and actually bugs me to play them because she likes to watch me play them to help solve puzzles, and to watch the story unfold etc. If I get home before her, she'll call me up and tell me not to play until she gets home because she doesn't want to miss something I brought up getting a wii at one time because I wanted her to actually play the games with me, but she insisted she didn't like it. She liked doing what she was doing.

Yes, for children, and for families that like to sit around the boob tube to spend quality time, consoles like the wii, and motion controller type games are super duper. If I had children, or family that liked to play video games, I would probably have one, but I don't. We all tend to like to get out of the house, and go camping, fishing, hiking, hunting, etc. etc. Not everyone likes video games, even if they're easy to pick up.

If I owned a wii, or the "Move" for the PS3, it would likely sit and collect dust because nobody would use it, especially me, because I personally don't like it. I'm not in the minority either. I think the vast majority of people who play video games on a fairly regular basis, don't play with motion controllers, and would prefer not to. That is why I made that comment.

Leave a comment:

• theMileHighGuy
    replied
    I like that song

Leave a comment:

• JakeNbake
    replied

Leave a comment:

• garzjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Can't you also play Blue Ray dvd's on your Xbox?
    No the OG Xbox had and kit to play standard DVD's. The Xbox 360 jumped on the wrong bandwagon and had an HD DVD kit, neither has ever supported the playback of Blu-Ray optical media. But the price point of Blu-Ray players has hit the sub $100 area. Or one could get a PS3 and have a gaming system & Blu-Ray player in one.

Me I just got 2 fairly cheap Blu-Ray players with Ethernet & built in WiFi on Black Friday.

Thx,
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• canadiansbronco
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    not blue ray

Leave a comment:

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by garzjoe View Post
    I really like my Xbox 360, had it for years but it's been a while since I've actually used it.

So to answer "Is it worth it" really depends on the person and how they utilize it. For me knowing I don't use it that much it would somewhat of a waste to drop a few hundo on it. However if you play a lot of games, stream movies from Netflix, setup a PC to stream music to it then yes it can very much be worth it.

Keep in mind the Xbox Live subscription to play people online or to use an app like Netflix is not free, I have not had it for a few years but it used to be like $50 a year for the subscription.

Personally for me I'm looking for older original Xbox machines on the cheap so I can do a softmod on them and load XMBC, enable 720p, and use it as a cheap media center for movies and music from my FreeNas server.

Thx,
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• garzjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Thinking of buying an Xbox 360. Is it worth it???

I know a lot of you play it here. My roommate has battle field and COD. Games look tight.
    I really like my Xbox 360, had it for years but it's been a while since I've actually used it.

So to answer "Is it worth it" really depends on the person and how they utilize it. For me knowing I don't use it that much it would somewhat of a waste to drop a few hundo on it. However if you play a lot of games, stream movies from Netflix, setup a PC to stream music to it then yes it can very much be worth it.

Keep in mind the Xbox Live subscription to play people online or to use an app like Netflix is not free, I have not had it for a few years but it used to be like $50 a year for the subscription.

Personally for me I'm looking for older original Xbox machines on the cheap so I can do a softmod on them and load XMBC, enable 720p, and use it as a cheap media center for movies and music from my FreeNas server.

Thx,
    Joe

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    Originally posted by Peerless View Post
    Anyone who plays BF3, add my gamertag; and I can show you how noobish I am .

Sigz89
    Lol im not that good at bf3 yet either.

Leave a comment:

• Peerless
    replied
    Anyone who plays BF3, add my gamertag; and I can show you how noobish I am .

Sigz89

Leave a comment:

• Sync
    replied
    You know what they say about making assumptions, right?

Funnily enough when I played Twilight Princess the very first thing that started to bug me was the fishing, which screamed "Nintendo made us incorporate clunky motion controls into this, I'm so so sorry". The bottom line is that while motion controls can be fun, the best way of communicating your intent to a video game console in 99.9% of cases is with a controller. It's that simple.

Of course I understand the positives of motion controls... lots of fun if you have small children or a party of friends to entertain. I'm not saying they're useless, just that if (for example) Skyrim required me to arbitrarily take advantage of motion controls to do a few things because it was the "cool" way to input my commands, I'd be pretty unimpressed. Because it's not efficient, it's not precise, and when I crash onto my couch for the evening I don't want to have to swing my arms around.

But c'mon... Disliking motion controls is not indicative of misplaced priorities.
    We know people are more important than games.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
    Unless they revolutionize it in some way, and make it functional and fun, the first developer to do that to their franchise would meet a swift end imo.

Leave a comment:

• BroncoFanBoy
    replied
    I bought my 360 back in February at Best Buy. I bought the one that has more capacity, and I also got a warranty on it. I can send it in whenever it breaks. Luckily, it hasn't. I spent around 400 bucks or so.

If you're just gonna get the smaller capacity one with no warranty, then it shouldn't be too much. I'd do it. The 360 is awesome! I just need an Xbox Kinect, with some good kinect games, and all my wishes will come true!

Leave a comment:

• VenomousDB
    replied
    I have both mw3 and bf3. Both are fun games with their strengths and weaknesses. I do tend to play mw3 multiplayer more though

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by sSync View Post
    I'm not too worried about all the gimmick-games that will inevitably come out, I'm more worried about the larger franchises eventually feeling like they've got to incorporate it into their releases somehow. I really, really, really hope it never comes to that.
    Unless they revolutionize it in some way, and make it functional and fun, the first developer to do that to their franchise would meet a swift end imo.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X