Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Experience's Top 11 Hip Hop Albums of 2011

These are in order.

1. Kendrick Lamar - Section .80 This album was a masterpiece. It had everything, strong production incredible lyrics and awesome content. An amazing concept album that will never grow old.

2. Thurz - LA Riot A Damn near perfect Hip Hop Album, a great concept album about a story that happened 20 years ago. Thurz sounded hungry and angry on the album that was just an incredible album. I am really looking forward to hearing more from Thurz.

3. The Roots - Undun Another great concept album. It was unique in that the story was told backwards from death to birth. The Roots never disappoint. Black Thought continues to cement himself as one of the all time great MCs. This has been the best album from the Roots to date IMO.

4. Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's The album had great replay ability and Tech really delivered. Many memorable songs and verses, loaded with a lot of awesome features this album had it all.

5. Common - The Dreamer, The Believer Common came back after a very bad album (Universal Mind Control) and put out undoubtably one of the best albums of the year. He hooked back up with No ID to rekindle some of the magic that Common had earlier in his career and it worked. Great, great piece of work from one of the all time greats.

6. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology Not many know of this group. But this album was pretty fantastic. Production was perfect, lyrics were awesome. These guys deserve more attention no doubt. This was a great album.

7. Big K.R.I.T. - Returnof4eva Never have we seen a southern rapper with the lyrical skillset and potential K.R.I.T. possesses. This album/mixtape was fantastic and unique in so many ways. FromReal thought provoking introspective tracks to hard down south jams this project had it all. The sky is the limit for this guy.

8. Skyzoo - The Great Debater This was just a smooth listen top to bottom from a terrific MC. Not one bad track and all fit together to make an outstanding mixtape.

9. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel Punchline rap at it's finest. Both Eminem and Royce da 5'9'' both brought out the best in one another and put out a strong album with very few flaws. This album should give us a nice indication of how Slaughterhouse is gonna sound on Shady.

10. Phonte - Charity Starts At Home 1/3 of Little Brother came threw with his debut solo album. He did not disappoint. Production was great and features were fantastic. His lyrics were strong and his singing voice was smooth. Great debut from one of the best in the game.

11. Elzhi - Elmatic Elzhi took a huge risk in remaking an album that many consider to be the greatest hip hop album of all time, Nas's Ilmatic. But Elzhi, a great MC in his own right took this classic album and made it his own. Along with using the Will Sessions band to remake the beats this sounded like a different album than the original, but still had the flavor and likability that Ilmatic did.

Honorable mention:

Childish Gambino - Camp
    J. Cole - Sideline Story
    Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)
    Reks - R.E.K.S. (Rythmatic Eternal King Supreme)
    DJ Quik - The Book Of David
    Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told'

All in all a great year for true hip hop IMO.

Thoughts? Comments? What is your top 11?
    sigpic

Originally posted by The Experience View Post
    These are in order.

1. Kendrick Lamar - Section .80 This album was a masterpiece. It had everything, strong production incredible lyrics and awesome content. An amazing concept album that will never grow old.

2. Thurz - LA Riot A Damn near perfect Hip Hop Album, a great concept album about a story that happened 20 years ago. Thurz sounded hungry and angry on the album that was just an incredible album. I am really looking forward to hearing more from Thurz.

3. The Roots - Undun Another great concept album. It was unique in that the story was told backwards from death to birth. The Roots never disappoint. Black Thought continues to cement himself as one of the all time great MCs. This has been the best album from the Roots to date IMO.

4. Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's The album had great replay ability and Tech really delivered. Many memorable songs and verses, loaded with a lot of awesome features this album had it all.

5. Common - The Dreamer, The Believer Common came back after a very bad album (Universal Mind Control) and put out undoubtably one of the best albums of the year. He hooked back up with No ID to rekindle some of the magic that Common had earlier in his career and it worked. Great, great piece of work from one of the all time greats.

6. Cunninlynguists - Oneirology Not many know of this group. But this album was pretty fantastic. Production was perfect, lyrics were awesome. These guys deserve more attention no doubt. This was a great album.

7. Big K.R.I.T. - Returnof4eva Never have we seen a southern rapper with the lyrical skillset and potential K.R.I.T. possesses. This album/mixtape was fantastic and unique in so many ways. FromReal thought provoking introspective tracks to hard down south jams this project had it all. The sky is the limit for this guy.

8. Skyzoo - The Great Debater This was just a smooth listen top to bottom from a terrific MC. Not one bad track and all fit together to make an outstanding mixtape.

9. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel Punchline rap at it's finest. Both Eminem and Royce da 5'9'' both brought out the best in one another and put out a strong album with very few flaws. This album should give us a nice indication of how Slaughterhouse is gonna sound on Shady.

10. Phonte - Charity Starts At Home 1/3 of Little Brother came threw with his debut solo album. He did not disappoint. Production was great and features were fantastic. His lyrics were strong and his singing voice was smooth. Great debut from one of the best in the game.

11. Elzhi - Elmatic Elzhi took a huge risk in remaking an album that many consider to be the greatest hip hop album of all time, Nas's Ilmatic. But Elzhi, a great MC in his own right took this classic album and made it his own. Along with using the Will Sessions band to remake the beats this sounded like a different album than the original, but still had the flavor and likability that Ilmatic did.

Honorable mention:

Childish Gambino - Camp
    J. Cole - Sideline Story
    Pharoahe Monch - W.A.R. (We Are Renegades)
    Reks - R.E.K.S. (Rythmatic Eternal King Supreme)
    DJ Quik - The Book Of David
    Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told'

All in all a great year for true hip hop IMO.

Thoughts? Comments? What is your top 11?
    I'm sad that "Camp" and "Sideline Story" didn't make the cut

But that's a very solid list. I own all of those except:

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
    Elzhi - Elmatic
    Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told

Never heard of any of them. I'll have to look them up

sigpic

FA Targets: DT Jason Jones, DT Pat Simms, S Reggie Smith, LB Dan Connor

:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by getlynched47 View Post
      I'm sad that "Camp" and "Sideline Story" didn't make the cut

But that's a very solid list. I own all of those except:

Cunninlynguists - Oneirology
      Elzhi - Elmatic
      Saigon - Greatest Story Never Told

Never heard of any of them. I'll have to look them up
      I really badly wanted to put Camp in there, because I really enjoyed that album and still do. But I when I was done compiling the list I just couldn't put it over the ones that made it.

J. Cole put out a great debut. But all of the albums in the top 11 had every song on the album as solid. J. Cole however had some stinker tracks on Sideline Story, so ultimately that's what cost him a spot on my top 11.
      sigpic

Comment

You definitely need to listen to that Cunninlynguists album though. The whole thing is great top to bottom.
        sigpic

Comment

You forgot Shabazz Palaces' Black Up

Unforgivable.

Comment

nice list. gives me some music to look up. i havent looked at many underground/less main stream artist lateley since jay electronica.

Comment

Originally posted by aberdien View Post
              You forgot Shabazz Palaces' Black Up

Unforgivable.
              Haven't heard the album. I have heard great things so Ima have to give it a listen...
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X