Xbox help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox help

So I have an Xbox 360 (Not the new black ones, the old white one) and it broke on me.

Warrantee is up, and I'd have to pay $100 to get it fixed and I'm thinking I'd rather just buy a new one. (It broke from not being able to read the disc, and then the tray started opening and closing without me being able to stop it, until it jammed shut, and yeah it's broken)

My question is, what new Xbox should I buy? My problem is I already have a 20 GB hard drive and that's all I need. I don't need 250 GB's.

I would love it if I could just get the $200 new 4GB Xbox 360, but will my old hard drive work with it? I don't need all that extra memory and I'd rather not have to pay for it when I have a functioning hard drive already.

I heard that having the new xbox, you have to go buy a hard drive for it seperately if you want more than 4 GB's (which is ridiculous). So would my 20 GB hard drive fit into this console?

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-4GB-C...6758260&sr=1-2

I really don't wanna drop $400 instead of $200 just for the 250 GB hard drive.

Yeah, you're better off just buying a new one than to get it repaired. Personally, if I were you I'd go after an Elite. The problem in your case is that the new 360's use separate HDD's, so the only way you'd be able to transfer it is using a flash drive or the $15 transfer kit (one time use) from MS.

If you get an Elite (Black 360 but not slim) you can simply use the same HDD without having to worry about transferring stuff. It just depends on what you want to do, but if you want to save yourself time and maybe a headache, try getting a 360 Elite.

Comment

How much are elites? I'm thinking about getting a new stanard core Xbox 360, do they still sell those new?

And yes an Elite is an option to look at as well thank you

Comment

For the Elites it depends: If you're going to get one new you should be able to get one for about $200-$250. Of course, if it doesn't come with a HDD it's that much cheaper, and since you planned on using your original HDD you wouldn't need the Elite's HDD anyways.

You could easily find one in about the $200 range. I'm not sure if they still sell the regular white 360s new; nowadays I only see the Slims. Same with the PS3 too; I only ever see the PS3 Slim in stores. Can't remember the last time I saw an Elite/Standard 360 in the store, but of course you can find anything for new online. There used to be the 360 Arcade, which was just a standalone standard 360 (white) with no HDD attached to it. Again, since you want to use your old HDD, you could also look around for those online. Those were always cheap too since they didn't come with much stuff. You could probably find one of those for 100 bucks, maybe less.

Comment

I found one Xbox Pro being sold for $160 here

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox...cmu_pg__header

Think it looks like a good deal? I talked to the guy who runs that account and he even has his own website http://remyxdaphone.com so I doubt he would try to hose me

I realize I don't need the HDD, but it's the only new straight out of the box Xbox Pro I could find and I need a new headset anyway

Whatcha think?

Comment

Woah woah woah woah

I thought this entire time, the only HDD you could get with Slim's were $100-$120 range

I just found a 60GB one for $35

http://www.eachgame.net/goods-4797.html

So in theory I could spend $200 on a Xbox slim and 35 on a HDD...rounds out to about 250 with taxes and such. Or stick with the Xbox Pro deal I found already...idk man.

Decisions decisions... Any thoughts?

Comment

Get new xbox.

1000 times more reliable, runs nicer, smoother. And its a nice change up.

And with that 60gs, u can download games to your harddrive so if you scuff it up, it still works.

Comment

Since the Slim HDDs are different; you're going to have to spend money by getting a USB drive big enough to hold most of your data, or a transfer kit. I would go with the one at $160,

All 360 Pro's come with a 60GB HDD. I think that guy is selling the regular 360 hence the 20GB HDD. With the Slim you'd be paying $200 for the system, $35 if you wanted a 60GB HDD and not to mention the stuff to transfer it. You'll be spending a little more by getting a Slim than the regular Xbox. But if you like the Slim more don't let me stop you.
                Last edited by Amari24; 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                  Get new xbox.

1000 times more reliable, runs nicer, smoother. And its a nice change up.

And with that 60gs, u can download games to your harddrive so if you scuff it up, it still works.
                  Not true at all. They run exactly the same and the only difference is that the Slim is quiter and has built in wireless. Basically, any 360 made after the whole RROD fiasco is basically the same, regardless of what type it is.

Also, 60GB can get eaten pretty quick. Most 360 games are about 5GB-8GB each if you download them off Live or install them to your HDD. Add that with DLC, movies, and music, that 60GB will turn into 10GB fairly quick.

Comment

just get a new one they are like 250 i think
                    sigpic

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.

Comment

If you want to save some money I would consider buying a certified used one from gamestop.

You should get the slim if you're getting anything though, for sure.

Comment

Gamestop is a rip.

Try looking on Craigslist for an Elite.
                        sigpic

Comment

get new and you can use the old 20 gb HD you just take apart the case and slip it in, i used a bit of packing material to steady it it from being top heavy but it works perfect
                          sigpic
                          -------

Comment

I definitely recommend getting a new xbox as well. I had the 20GB original forever... well, it was 3 or 4 different consoles, but same models. I finally got the new xbox with the 250GB when it was on sale for $199 CDN here at Best Buy or FutureShop (which is like a Best Buy if you were unaware). I've never been happier with an xbox than I have with this one. The other model kept giving me the same old problems. This one is solid, and because of the 250GBs which I probably well never use up, I just install every game to the hard drive so it runs of that and not the disk drive.
                            Mile High Manning Fivehead Bandwagon Member #12

Comment

Originally posted by SBboundBRONCOS View Post
                              get new and you can use the old 20 gb HD you just take apart the case and slip it in, i used a bit of packing material to steady it it from being top heavy but it works perfect
                              Saw that on YouTube

I think I may do this, buy the 4GB Slim and just take apart my 20GB HDD and put it in the slim...will it just stay like that though without a case?

Comment

Working...
                              X