Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisKamanowns View Post
    Are we going to be paying 80-100 bucks per game now? -__-
    The last company to try that failed miserably. There's no way you'll be able to market $100 games.

Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Just because it's 6-10x more powerful doesn't mean the graphics are 6-10x more powerful, that isn't really how graphics work, they don't scale up directly with the consoles power.

I'm sure it'll still look great, if you simply look at the graphical leap that has occurred on the 360 just from the time it was released it's extremely impressive.
    However, there was a report just recently from NaughtyDog (makers of Uncharted) that they're currently working on a game that has 1 million polygons. That right there shows that the next consoles will have very noticeable leaps in visuals. They didn't say if this game is Uncharted 4, a PS4 exclusive, or something else,.

Just so you can put that in perspective. Kratos in God of War 3 was only 20K polygons. Sev in Killzone 3 was only 16k.
    Last edited by Amari24; 01-29-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
      Yeah, true. But I think the same people who are saying "don't release new consoles! This gen still has a lot of life left!" Probably don't care if the graphics aren't that much of a graphical leap. These current consoles are showing their age. And if people are still denying the need for new consoles then maybe graphics aren't all that important to them.

As long as the graphics are around or better than what you see in Crysis, BF3, or hell maybe even the Samaritan tech demo, that's all I really need. If I wanted more than that I'd start gaming on a PC.
      A lot of people I've notice(not just on here) are approaching this report from a PC standpoint. When really they need to look at it from a console standpoint.

You have to compare it to what the consoles are already doing now, then add in the need to make the console affordable. All that generates into no making to big of a leap. You wont hear many gamers of FPS's or sport games say "We demand PC like graphics". Just something that looks nice that improves of time.
      Even if it's not a big improvement, it's a improvement.
      sigpic
      Adopted Broncos:
      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

So many people confuse polygons with game quality.

Honestly, something about how Skyrim was made... The dungeons hurt my eyes. I don't know why.

Comment

I'm planning on getting both the PS4 and 720. Both systems will have worthwhile exclusive titles, and I have friends and family who game on both the 360 and PS3.

With Kinect selling 20 million units alone, it's save to say the 360 is now becoming that family/party system. And if the 720 has built in Kinect 2.0-- then Nintendo is already losing a big chunk of their demographic.
          Yeah, I think it's possible the Kinect will make the 720 the real emergent winner. Because it combines the best of the Wii Motion control potential with the hard core gamer crowd that might otherwise buy a Sony.

My kids and family love the Wii -- the motion control was a fantastic innovation. Hard core gamers (usually meaning first person adventurers or shooters) scoffed at it, but it was a real innovation in finding different ways to have fun, different ways to draw people into a gaming experience.

I considered motion control to be yet another example of Nintendo innovating new ways to game (which it's critics discount). But luckily for XBox, its makers took notice, and started thinking about ways to build on that idea. PS3 came up with something that was essentially a clone of Wii Motion ( at least the concept). But the video technology of Kinect combines a very narcissistic element with motion control and people love it.

So it will be a close call -- I may try becoming a one-console household with the 720.

But part of me thinks I'll just get all three systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddleglum View Post
            The simple fact that that is one of if not THE biggest selling point for a PS3 is pathetic.
            You're thinking like a gamer, not a parent.

I don't spend much time playing. And when I do, it's always with my kids.

Comment

I think 6-10 GB's of RAM is a little overboard, though. I mean the best looking games on PC in 2012 only use around 2GB's. I would say at least 4GB of RAM should be enough. The cardinal rule for a while has been that anything over 6GB of RAM is a bit too much for nothing.
              The games that only use 2GB's are 32bit programs so that they still work on Windows XP and the 32bit versions of Vista and Windows 7. Keeping that in mind with so many games being multi-platform these days and consoles rocking what? 512-1024MB's of RAM? It's no surprise they don't take advantage of more. Besides ram is more often than not the most cost effective way to boost performance.

These consoles should be built for the future, not 3 years ago. If the consoles makers decide to at minimum do 4 or more GB's and stick solely to 64bit programs there WILL be a huge difference between the generations.

I think more importantly, games will be more EXPENSIVE to develop. The smaller companies who don't have the biggest budget could possibly go out of business, or get owned by a bigger corporation.
              Bingo, however there is a booming indie game market on consoles and PC that just does not get enough attention.

That would be nice for the consumer, but Microsoft is much smarter than that.
              As a PC enthusiast that comment made my day.

There's no way they'll stick a price tag over $500 ala Sony with the PS3. But they aren't going to launch it for $300 when they know they can make a profit starting at $400 before shaving the price.
              I am 99% sure it would play out the way you have suggested. I'm merely of the opinion that M$'s goal should be to gobble up as much market share as possible and then recoup money through services it offers (cuts of amazon.com streaming movie rentals, a cut of a spotify/pandora subscription if it goes through the Xbox. Heck offer the free versions of those with visual ads that M$ gets the revenue for. Combine this stuff with Kinect and you could actually have a very nifty gadget).

The economy is hurting and to me the outlook is not good. If there was a time to be consumer-friendly and try some new schemes to make $ it is now.

There's a reason why we call them "M$". If there's anyone who needs to launch a $300 system it has to be Nintendo. They've been on thin ice lately, and really, they've been setting themselves up for fail by saying the Wii U is going to win back hardcore gamers. I guess a step in the right direction is that they plan on changing the name from 'Wii U' to something else. I think Nintendo Revolution would work since that's what the Wii was going to originally be called.
              Nintendo just needs to bail on the hardware now and start doing games alone.

Originally posted by Alastor View Post

Honestly, something about how Skyrim was made... The dungeons hurt my eyes. I don't know why.
              You're not alone, they did something different and it is semi-painful.

Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
              You're thinking like a gamer, not a parent.

I don't spend much time playing. And when I do, it's always with my kids.
              Fair point.
              sigpic

Comment

Polygon count generally correlates with level of detail and # of surfaces accuracy/edge elimination.

As long as the graphics are around or better than what you see in Crysis, BF3, or hell maybe even the Samaritan tech demo, that's all I really need. If I wanted more than that I'd start gaming on a PC.
                The suffering PC market is pretty much tied to the success of console gaming now. I kind of doubt there will be a must-pc game that console's can't touch like the original crysis again. Too much cost to produce to too little returns in the pc market. Steam isn't good enough, but at least it tries.

These consoles should be built for the future, not 3 years ago. If the consoles makers decide to at minimum do 4 or more GB's and stick solely to 64bit programs there WILL be a huge difference between the generations.
                Sort of agree on the memory, but I doubt the next one would have more than 2gb, unless the 720 is going to run windows 8 or something. Console's don't change focus or run the level of background processes that pcs do. So tons of ram between the processor and board isn't critical. Video memory, hell yeah, that could have 10GB and I might be happy. So sick of texture pop in consoles especially when you just go around a corner or something.

Comment

You're not alone, they did something different and it is semi-painful.
                  I'm not sure I get it. Do yins mean the horrible bloom glare some of the fog seems to generate? Like walking into a flashbang.

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                    I'm not sure I get it. Do yins mean the horrible bloom glare some of the fog seems to generate? Like walking into a flashbang.
                    No, I mean everything. Especially in dungeons, this game causes eye strain. Lots of it.

It just wasn't ... The art... The objects just aren't different enough from the surrounding environment, so like my eyes have to squint to see everythng, and then it's harder to find familiarity for the eyes in this game so dungeons are harder to just plain look your way through.

Comment

Sort of agree on the memory, but I doubt the next one would have more than 2gb, unless the 720 is going to run windows 8 or something.
                      If consoles do that, the disparity between the graphical prowess of consoles and PC's would become a problem. Multi-platform games would then try to be everything to everyone and the next thing you know, no one is happy.

Console's don't change focus or run the level of background processes that pcs do. So tons of ram between the processor and board isn't critical. Video memory, hell yeah, that could have 10GB and I might be happy. So sick of texture pop in consoles especially when you just go around a corner or something.
                      Very true. However I was under the impression that 512mb is the shared system and video ram of the 360, anyone know better?

Whilst it is perfectly true as you say later on that consoles can do very well with less, the key to me is 64 bit programming. Without that, the leap between console generations will be more of shuffle.

Exhibit A would be Skyrim civil war quests where you take over a fort...instead of 5-7 a side it will be 15-22+ a side. Skyrim cities would be able to actually BE cities and not just a really fancy tiny town.

The glare was a PITA but I believe we were both simply talking about looking around in caves where it just felt like you were rubbing your eyes on a cobblestone path sometimes.
                      sigpic

Comment

The glare was a PITA but I believe we were both simply talking about looking around in caves where it just felt like you were rubbing your eyes on a cobblestone path sometimes.
                        Yeah, this.

Comment

Apparently, the 720 will ALSO have a tablet controller.

The next Xbox will be a matt-black media hub with a mission to bring games to life in your living room with augmented reality, directional sound, and a four-player finger-tracking Kinect. We told you all that last month. This month, our sources tell us it will have a touchscreen, too.

Microsoft are experimenting with a tablet-like controller with a shape closer to Sony's sleek Vita handheld / Apple's iPad than Wii U's bulky unit - it's an HD screen surrounded by the traditional 360 buttons and sticks.

On 360 that touchscreen will be second only to Kinect in how you operate your console. It could be a remote control when you're watching TV, a browser when you're on the internet, extra buttons and information when playing a game or a portable display when you want to take your game with you.

Expect to see the next Xbox at E3 this June.
                          I really hope this isn't true. :doh: This is the very reason why I'm not interested in the Wii U. I don't want to play my games with an iPad and motion controls. All I need is a controller w/ two analogs, triggers, a functional d-pad, and four buttons.

I may consider getting only a PS4 next gen -- which would mean I'm only getting one system. If all consoles were to use a tablet controller I think I would move to PC gaming.

Comment

I really hope this isn't true. :doh: This is the very reason why I'm not interested in the Wii U. I don't want to play my games with an iPad and motion controls. All I need is a controller w/ two analogs, triggers, a functional d-pad, and four buttons.

I may consider getting only a PS4 next gen -- which would mean I'm only getting one system. If all consoles were to use a tablet controller I think I would move to PC gaming.
                            I know dude, that's really disapointing to hear. I hope they make traditional controllers for it.

One saving grace of it might be microsoft's panel UI. I can only assume that's what will be on the touchscreen part since they're integrating it into everything. It doesn't take up much space, so maybe it won't be as cumbersome.

Comment

I thought it was a great idea. I'm at least glad to see you being consistent in your dislike of it now that the vaunted XBox is following. I love the thought of it, as long as it's not the exclusive way to control games. Some games need two analog sticks in comfortable configuration.

Comment

One saving grace of it might be microsoft's panel UI. I can only assume that's what will be on the touchscreen part since they're integrating it into everything. It doesn't take up much space, so maybe it won't be as cumbersome.
                                That's not a "saving grace," that is THE main part of it. Having a big panel controller for every aspect of the game will be awesome. Many games use all kinds of elements that it will be handy for (navigating menus, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                X