• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Doesn't every kid want a 3DS?

All my below 10 neices and nephews have one but none of them have a PSvita.
    Lol not really. It started off at $250 (same price as Vita) and was doing terribly. Until they cut the price to $170 in only a few months basically screwing over those who paid $250. And if that wasn't enough they also released a $10 add-on to give it a 2nd analog stick.

None of your nieces and nephews have a Vita because it isn't out yet. Only Japan has it as of right now.

Leave a comment:

• DenverBlood
    replied
    Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
    Sega would be to the current/next gen consoles as the 3DS is to the PSvita.

Not even on the same level, and nobody wants it.
    Doesn't every kid want a 3DS?

All my below 10 neices and nephews have one but none of them have a PSvita.

Leave a comment:

• InsaneBlaze23
    replied
    Sega would be to the current/next gen consoles as the 3DS is to the PSvita.

Not even on the same level, and nobody wants it.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by jc13 View Post
    Speaking of sega I used to love the Dreamcast. Does anyone think Sega would be a powerhouse today if they didn't collapse?
    No. Sega could barely compete with Nintendo on equal terms. Throw Sony and Microsoft into the picture and they really wouldn't stand a chance.

Leave a comment:

• LordTrychon
    replied
    PowerPC as in similar to the chips that Apple was using in their G4 series? Man, I loved those days.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    I keep hearing the next Xbox will be a bold leap in functionality in an attempt to be a unified set-top box. Functions like DVR, video streaming, etc. Expand the ecosystem from the huge base of XBox Live accounts to be getting all kinds of content.

Apple and Google are working on trying again for a home TV solution (searching for and streaming content to the television). XBox will be Microsoft's major grab.

(All of these things involve technology and services that are already here. I'm talking about actual dominant success. Nobody's quite succeeded yet.)

Leave a comment:

• Remedy
    replied
    Originally posted by jc13 View Post
    Speaking of sega I used to love the Dreamcast. Does anyone think Sega would be a powerhouse today if they didn't collapse?
    I dont know.

Nintendo kind of took the 'family' market niche and then into the 'motion' wii type games.

and Sony/Microsoft would be very hard to compete with head to head.

Leave a comment:

• jc13
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Bernie24 View Post
    "The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN."

This is coming out next year???

What what what???
    There's no confirmation behind those dates, but they aren't too off IMO. Microsoft will likely show us a little of the 720 at E3 2012 which is around June. Nothing spectacular though; probably things like the features, controllers, accessories, media capabilities, apps, etc.

Then they'll give it a full reshowing at E3 2013 to confirm everything like prices, games, specs, etc. and then release it in the Fall. That's basically what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U. So yeah, Fall of 2013 is about right.

I'd imagine that Sony would show the PS4 at E3 2013 as well-- and release it in the Summer. That way they could possibly convince people to pass on the 720 and get the PS4 instead.
    Last edited by Amari24; 01-24-2012, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bernie24
    replied
    "The next Xbox will ship to retailers in late October or early November of next year with six times the processing power of the Xbox 360, sources close to the project have told IGN."

This is coming out next year???

What what what???

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by broncoFan! View Post
    Do we know if it will have internet browsing capabilties and/or music abilities?
    I think that's a given. The PS3 could do it... even the Wii had a traditional web browser. Hell, the DREAMCAST had a web browser and that was over a decade ago.

And if nothing else, Microsoft is marketing the 360 as a multimedia platform and not just a gaming system. They'll no doubt try to integrate IE as well as Windows 8 with the 720. I hope they don't do what Sony is doing and use an outdated browser and not update it. I mean it gets the job done... but a lot of sites aren't even functional, and it'll cause your PS3 to crash sometimes.

Places like these forums, Facebook, and Youtube, work pretty well. Places like Twitter and a few other sites aren't even worth it. Google doesn't even work right if you have Javascript on..

Leave a comment:

• broncoFan!
    replied
    Do we know if it will have internet browsing capabilties and/or music abilities?

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    I think it's more so because of the RROD fiasco. Microsoft can't afford to let that happen again, so they aren't going to take unnecessary risks. Just stick with what works I guess.
    Yeah but the issue with that was just horrible cooling systems. And I'm pretty sure it was the fault of the GPU anyways. It's not that hard to cool a console, and there are some extremely heat resistant GPU's and CPU's out there these days. My computers GPU runs at 100+ degrees celsius (200+ degrees farenheit) under load and that's pretty normal.

From what I've gathered by opening up some toasted 360's is that they just didn't come up with a good way to get air flow moving throughout the entire system, and pockets of extremely hot air would gather and melt the solder. Some of that is bad ventilation, another part is just using extremely low quality solder. The cheapest solder can melt at about 200 degrees farenheit, and I'm guessing they were using something around that range. High quality solder won't melt until anywhere between 400 and 900 degrees.

When the solder would melt some wires would get a little loose and when you turned the system off the solder would cool and you wouldn't get full contact from the wires anymore (or two nodes on the motherboard would be connected that shouldn't be connected, resulting in a short across the entire circuit). That's why that towel trick would work, it would super heat the Xbox, re-melt the solder, and if you got lucky the wires would slide back into place, and then the solder would cool, and you'd be good. But once you did it one too many times it'd just be too screwed up to fix anymore.

Sorta got off topic with this, but basically I just think MS needs to avoid skimping on the essentials and they should be fine with this next generation of consoles
    Last edited by Hoserman117; 01-24-2012, 07:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by HavoK471 View Post
    Oh god the cost...

The cost is going to scare me
    I don't think the cost will be too obscene. Around $400. With the casual gaming market becoming such a huge thing it'd be really dumb for companies to price themselves out of those people by going to $600 like the PS3.

Besides, this tech is still kinda old. There are CPU's on the market right now that I can go out and buy that would be much more powerful. I know it says "6 times more powerful than the original Xbox", but it is quite honestly a miracle what they manage to get out of the 360, it's hardware specs are absolute crap compared to modern gaming PC's.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    Hm. Kinda bums me out that they'd still be using a 32nm processor. Those have been commercially mass produced for over 2 years, and has been available for about 6 years.

22nm is the next big thing, and it's supposed to become commercially mainstream sometime this year. I would have guessed that's what the 720 would have been using, but I guess it would be a little too bleeding edge for a gaming console.
    I think it's more so because of the RROD fiasco. Microsoft can't afford to let that happen again, so they aren't going to take unnecessary risks. Just stick with what works I guess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X