X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Hoserman117 View Post
    It's not like that is at all a confirmation that it will have a tablet. It just says they're experimenting with the thought of it.
    The fact that they ARE 'experimenting' with it basically confirms that they'll have plans to use it. It's just a matter of Nintendo being the bait so that M$ doesn't have to risk the backlash themselves.

If the Wii U's tablet controller catches on they'll already have the building blocks in place. If it flops they'll just scrap the idea and stick with Kinect 2.0. -- all without wasting a penny.

Leave a comment:

• Hoserman117
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    Apparently, the 720 will ALSO have a tablet controller.

I really hope this isn't true. :doh: This is the very reason why I'm not interested in the Wii U. I don't want to play my games with an iPad and motion controls. All I need is a controller w/ two analogs, triggers, a functional d-pad, and four buttons.

I may consider getting only a PS4 next gen -- which would mean I'm only getting one system. If all consoles were to use a tablet controller I think I would move to PC gaming.
    It's not like that is at all a confirmation that it will have a tablet. It just says they're experimenting with the thought of it.

Leave a comment:

• Puddleglum
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    all i want to know is will it run windows and have a fully functional mouse and keyboard? if that happens and i can game with my m/kb i will probably get one.

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy180
    replied
    Originally posted by baphamet View Post
    all i want to know is will it run windows and have a fully functional mouse and keyboard? if that happens and i can game with my m/kb i will probably get one.

Leave a comment:

• baphamet
    replied

Leave a comment:

• theMileHighGuy
    replied
    It would be cool to have the xbox power button menu come up in the screen, or like I said before the panel system ui.

Pretty badass to have quick potions, inventory, radar, transmissions, etc on there. I too am worried about it being cumbersome though, but I don't think it would have to be.

I just made this real quick

*screen images simulated
    Last edited by theMileHighGuy; 02-15-2012, 12:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
    But that's what a separate handheld system should be used for. Maybe microsoft and sony need to come up with tablet style handhelds, that are able to communicate with the console like the PSP does with the PS3 or something similar. But I'm sorry, I have no use for one personally., and I sincerely hope that it's not going to be a requirement to be able to play games on the console. That seems like a colossal mistake. Have you seen the new wiiU controller?

That thing is huge, and looks really cumbersome and expensive for a controller. I hope they have some really innovative ideas to involve that thing to make it worth it, because if it's going to be Super Mario, with a touch screen, plan on nintendo going bye bye.
    Personally, I believe that the Wii U is Nintendo's last console. It won't be too long before they're a software company like Sega. I simply don't see the Wii U catching on. Kinect has basically gained enough popularity to win over the casual crowd, or at least sway them from playing their games on a bulky tablet controller. Microsoft is no doubt forming a new and improved Kinect, and once the casuals that were left out catch wind of it, they'll be all over it. Kinect itself is a reason why I think Microsoft shouldn't be anywhere near a tablet control system. Sony is another story.

Plus, what's been the top selling game this gen? You got it, Call of Duty. Nintendo is DELUDING themselves if they think gamers will buy a game like BF3 or CoD for the Wii U to play on that thing versus a traditional controller. Now, if all companies have tablet controllers then it's a moot point, but Nintendo is taking the risk here. I think Microsoft and Sony will do the smart thing and sit back and watch Nintendo make a big a hit, or come crashing down (which is what I think is going to happen, honestly).

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay3 View Post
    But if you've been watching kids these days, that kind of focus point is a must. They love iPads, iPod touches, Nooks. These companies have got to find a way to combine that experience, of downloading "apps" that are games like Angry Birds, with the console game experience.

I'm not saying the actual games have to combine all the elements, I'm saying the ecosystem needs to expand to include touchscreen, app-style games. The console makers need to stop letting kids have their earliest and most personal game experiences on an Apple device or a Nook.

So if the tablet controller is a little expensive, that's too bad -- but have it work away from the console, downloading little games as "apps" from wifi. Young people will feel a sense of ownership over "their" controller. And then the ecosystem also includes the console experience with the tablet used as part of the game control experience.
    But if you've been watching kids these days, that kind of focus point is a must. They love iPads, iPod touches, Nooks. These companies have got to find a way to combine that experience, of downloading "apps" that are games like Angry Birds, with the console game experience.
    No, they don't. There's a reason why those games are on iPhones and why Skyrim is on the PC/360/PS3. Indie games are doing quite well on their own on the PC and consoles. Adding games like Angry Birds won't really do anything to bring in new customers. You aren't going to buy a $400 system or any dedicated gaming device to play Angry Birds, you'll buy it to play Halo, Skyrim, GTA, CoD, Battlefield, etc. However, if you're buying a tablet or a phone -- something that's not a dedicated gaming device, then sure, apps are a good thing to have. Besides, if little Johnny is asking his mom to buy him a new console, chances are, he's not looking to play something like Angry Birds.

So if the tablet controller is a little expensive, that's too bad -- but have it work away from the console, downloading little games as "apps" from wifi. Young people will feel a sense of ownership over "their" controller. And then the ecosystem also includes the console experience with the tablet used as part of the game control experience.
    That's the LAST thing they need to do. It may sound like a good thing in theory, but what happens if you take your tablet controller that you use for your 720, and break it or lose it? You're now left with no controller to play your console that you just spent hundreds on, and as Kish brought up, the cost is going to be another factor. Sure, I can go break my PS3 controller right now, but it still would only cost me 40-50 bucks to replace.

Ignoring the fact that tablet controllers are going to be more expensive, period -- Now we're talking about giving them the ability to download apps on the fly, AND be used as portable gaming devices? That's only giving the company even more reason to raise the price. Should you lose it or break it, it's essentially going to be like buying a new system again.

Sorry, but I'm not paying $200 for a replacement controller.
    Last edited by Amari24; 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay3 View Post

I'm not saying the actual games have to combine all the elements, I'm saying the ecosystem needs to expand to include touchscreen, app-style games. The console makers need to stop letting kids have their earliest and most personal game experiences on an Apple device or a Nook.

But that's what a separate handheld system should be used for. Maybe microsoft and sony need to come up with tablet style handhelds, that are able to communicate with the console like the PSP does with the PS3 or something similar. But I'm sorry, I have no use for one personally., and I sincerely hope that it's not going to be a requirement to be able to play games on the console. That seems like a colossal mistake. Have you seen the new wiiU controller?

That thing is huge, and looks really cumbersome and expensive for a controller. I hope they have some really innovative ideas to involve that thing to make it worth it, because if it's going to be Super Mario, with a touch screen, plan on nintendo going bye bye.

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by Frenchy180 View Post
    I already have a hard time justifying the $50 for a new controller...
    Because it's a complete rip-off at that price, with no actual connection to the cost of the device. Just a way to part people with more of their hard earned money, and make the console price seem cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Frenchy180
    replied
    I already have a hard time justifying the $50 for a new controller...

Leave a comment:

• Jay3
    replied
    Originally posted by kishzilla View Post
    My question is how much are those kinds of controllers going to cost? If the console is $400 minimum with probably one controller and minimal other bells and whistles, if the damned controllers are $100+ because of a touch screen that's gunna suck. Controllers need to be more durable than an ipad type screen is going to handle. I guarantee I would break one within the first few months, and so would a lot of other people. And if they're say $150 a piece, that's going to be a deal breaker.

Leave a comment:

• kishzilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Amari24 View Post
    You make an interesting point. The article said they were aiming for something similar to the PlayStation Vita (which I'm getting this month) which is almost like a controller itself.

If they absolutely have to do a tablet/motion controller, I would hope it would be something more ergonomical like that. Maybe it could work out -- but like you, I would have to see it in action first. How well does it work for a game like Skyrim or Halo? That would be my biggest concern.

Another thing that would be a good move is to allow the current 360 controller to be compatible with the 720. In fact, that's what Nintendo is doing.

But for all intents and purposes, I just
    My question is how much are those kinds of controllers going to cost? If the console is $400 minimum with probably one controller and minimal other bells and whistles, if the damned controllers are $100+ because of a touch screen that's gunna suck. Controllers need to be more durable than an ipad type screen is going to handle. I guarantee I would break one within the first few months, and so would a lot of other people. And if they're say $150 a piece, that's going to be a deal breaker.

Leave a comment:

• Amari24
    replied
    Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
    You're right. I'll want to see it action before I make any real judgements on it. They could do awesome stuff with it in menu heavy games like skyrim, or calling plays in madden. (so your cheater friends can't screen peek)
    You make an interesting point. The article said they were aiming for something similar to the PlayStation Vita (which I'm getting this month) which is almost like a controller itself.

If they absolutely have to do a tablet/motion controller, I would hope it would be something more ergonomical like that. Maybe it could work out -- but like you, I would have to see it in action first. How well does it work for a game like Skyrim or Halo? That would be my biggest concern.

Another thing that would be a good move is to allow the current 360 controller to be compatible with the 720. In fact, that's what Nintendo is doing.

But for all intents and purposes, I just
    Last edited by Amari24; 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X